Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Civil Rights Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I fight a case against a garnishment that is coming up on the 5yr mark in September for a car that I purchased 2016

The car was put as a write off in 2017 and says account closed. So now the amount has doubled due to them letting the account set and build interest. Is there a chance of fighting this case?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Health Care Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Would this scenario be unconstitutional?

If Roe v. Wade was overturned, would a state imposing penalties on an individual who had a legal abortion out of state violate the second clause of the second section of the Civil Rights Restoration Act?

"...Amends title IX... of the Education Amendments of 1972... to mean all of the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it legal for the police to come to your house and tell you that they are taking your car and take me title?

They took my title and told me not to tell anyone

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Does the right to bear armaments only apply to firearms, or are all armaments included?

Would things like knifes, swords, shields, and things like that. Would these be protected arms under the 2nd amendment?

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Disabled police car

I'm looking at buying a police car and it still has a light bar on it. It is disabled. Is it legal to drive? I'm in Oklahoma

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Oklahoma has no laws for runaways. My 12 year old keeps running away and is out of control. What can I do?

He has run away 9 times in less than a week. He finds people who give him money, buy him toys and even gets food.

He is completely out of control and every single day we’re dealing with the police, sometimes multiple times a day.

They take him to CIC almost every time, but as... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: discovery can be held up to 10 days before a case goes to trial, what happens if there is no trial for the case?

My dhs lawyer has been going back and forth for almost 3/4 months trying to get the discovery for our case from the courts and they keep beating around the bush. Now they are not even responding to him. I know that the discovery does not have to legally be given out (even though we are entitled to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Have RV in my name and his. I am the lean holder of said rv also. RV on private property locked fence. I payed for RV.

I went California for treatment and he was suppose to fix said RV and come pick me up around July 4th. Have had no contact since late may. RV in McClain Co.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Non-Violent Felony changed to Violent felony. Am I still Non-Violent?

Good afternoon,

I was researching some changing gun laws in my state. Upon doing so, I noticed the felony I was convicted of was changed to a “violent felony” six years after I plead to the crime. I’m wondering if I am now considered a violent felon or an

I still protected... Read more »

David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta answered on Apr 28, 2022

If you are looking at other laws that specify crimes that impact eligibility or prohibited conduct and you are trying to determine if you are eligible or prohibited from said conduct based on a prior conviction, most of the time it will not matter what the law was at the time of your conviction;... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma on
Q: In the state of Oklahoma can a police officer traspassing on private property with signs posted
Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Feb 24, 2022

If the officer has a legitimate purpose in accordance with their duties then yes they can ignore the posted signs and conduct their official business.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: my brother is incarcerated- has no legal assistance $$. He needs to file a tort claim, medical negligence. Doctor

orders were to assign a bottom bunk at the facility for medical reasons. Against the doctor's orders and his protests, employees determined he was in a top bunk. He had a seizure and fell from the top bunk to the floor. He seriously injured his back, shoulder, and hit his head. He is asking me... Read more »

Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 19, 2021

There isn't really a form. But, also, a government tort claim requires notice to the state or federal government in a relatively short period of time. You need to talk to a personal injury attorney AND a civil rights attorney, since there may also be a violation of civil rights. You need to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: I got my boyfriend's car towed I stole something at Walmart but didn't get arrested at Walmart and we can't afford to
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Oct 31, 2021

Unfortunately your question is a bit cryptic in that it provides very little details and doesn’t really ask a question, it’s more of a statement. From what I can glean you are worried about getting arrested. If they did not arrest you at Walmart, than they are unlikely to do so after the fact.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: H & H auto savage

Hello yes , my truck was impounded last night and the wrecker company is not allowing me too come retrieve it what can do

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Oct 11, 2021

One, if it was impounded for legal reasons, as in a result of a traffic stop of some sort which in the end had reasons to be impounded then you will have to get those ‘holds’ resolved with the agency that ordered the impound. ((Such as proof of insurance and such)) - Additionally, the impound... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Oklahoma on
Q: How far back legally can taco mayo in Oklahoma go on a background check?

My bf was denied a job at Taco mayo from a domestic back n 1999-2000

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Sep 20, 2021

Typically, backgrounds go back 10 years for credit and 7 years for criminal convictions but that can be longer depending on the job, responsibilities, etc... If it is expunged, or deferred adjudication was successful, then they will not see it at all. The State is restricted by statute to even... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: Judge transfers an emergency protective order to another county then sets a court date for a review is that an error?

At a final hearing for a protective order Judge didn't give defendant a chance to present a defense or challenge personnel jurisdiction for no service. Upon learning that there was a custody case pending involving same two parties an order transferring the continued emergency protective order... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Aug 26, 2021

Judges always combine the PO hearing with the pending family law case. Why did you show up to the hearing if you were not served? If you appear at the hearing you submit yourself to jurisdiction of the Court usually. The Judge will probably strike the 90 day review. They set review hearings so... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma on
Q: does a paralegal have to turn over emails between client to opposing council

a paralegal and client have confidential emails. the opposing council filed a motion to compel. Since being refused those emails. does the other council have to produce those emails to the opposing team?

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Jul 24, 2021

Do you have an attorney representing you and supervising the paralegal?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If a minor raped an adult in the state of Oklahoma, is there legal action that can be taken?
Jessica Brown
Jessica Brown answered on Jul 16, 2021

Yes - both criminally and maybe civilly.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can I be placed in jail over a medical debt from a collection agency who has an attorney now representing them?

I have a debt collection agency who is represented by an attorney who has taken me to court and still hasn't provided details on what the medical bills are for. I just know they are from at least 2009; I was pulled over last year and was sent to jail over a bench warrant that was issued back... Read more »

Anna L Self
Anna L Self answered on Jul 13, 2021

You don't go to jail for not paying the debt. You go to jail for not appearing in court when the Judge orders

you to appear. Generally, it is after a judgment is awarded to the creditor and they file for a hearing on assets. You are served with an order to appear at the hearing on...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can my Guardian force me to quit my job in Oklahoma?

I'm a 17 year old which is above the legal age requirement for working in my state. But she says she can call and quit for me without my consent. Can she? Or would I have to do it since me working is legal?

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Jun 6, 2021

"Can my Guardian force me to quit my job in Oklahoma?"

Of course she can. It can be described as pretty much this simple: Parents/legal guardians make the rules, children follow those rules.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.