Gaming Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Gaming Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gaming for Kentucky on
Q: What are limitations on a criminal case subpoena that I have been served in order to testify as a witness?

My court date has been rescheduled 2 time prior to being subpoenaed. It was just rescheduled again tbd. This is stemming from a hunting guide taking me onto land I did not have a permit to hunt on 2 years ago in Inez, KY. I live in Crestwood, KY.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Feb 19, 2019

If they haven’t served you by sheriff or other adult person, you haven’t been properly served and the subpoena is unenforceable.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Gaming, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for Indiana on
Q: As a 3rd-party representative, do I have any legal right to enforce copyright of the company's IP which I represent?

I am a representative for a gaming company's game. I have legal permission to use their IP and game contents and materials for my own use. However, many other entities have created illegal content using the company's IP and game materials without legal permission to gain their own profit. Not only... Read more »

Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema answered on Jan 24, 2019

Probably not, unless your license agreement expressly allows you the right to enforce, or you are the exclusive licensee. Oftentimes the intellectual property owner retains the right to enforce or license the IP to others (non-exclusive license), though sometimes there is contractual language that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming, Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Indiana on
Q: Are any game mechanics from the Yu-Gi-Oh Trading card game patented?

Would creating a digital card game with some mechanics that are similar to Yu-Gi-Oh violate some patents? Specifically, one shared mechanic is that the "field" or playing area is divided into 10 zones in 2 rows for each player, with "creature cards" placed in the front row, and other cards placed... Read more »

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Jan 2, 2019

Well, I think that you are correct in worrying about Konami's intellectual property. As far as patents go, Konami has over 1100 patents on various gaming devices and methods. I imagine that some of them cover Yu-Gi-Oh!

I don't know which patents cover Yu-Gi-Oh!, but the patent numbers...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming and Intellectual Property for New York on
Q: What can I do to make this business start legally the right way?

We have a video game in the making based off of a TV show. I know there are copyright issues since we’re using the same characters, but what can we do to prevent that? We’d like to start a kickstarter campaign after we’re done with 35% of the game and start monitoring. How would we work... Read more »

Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek answered on Dec 25, 2018

This is a very common question. Many bloggers and fans of shows or movie stars get really discouraged when they get cease & desist letter from the shows/stars lawyers.

Your situation is even more problematic: you are trying to raise funds, and then sell products and make money off the TV...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Gaming for New Jersey on
Q: Can I get casino license if completed PTI for 3rd degree promotion of gambling. case dismissed upon completion

This occurred 12 + years ago

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Dec 20, 2018

You won't know the answer until you apply however I would think you would be dismissed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Gaming for Indiana on
Q: I have to warrants for missing court for driving while suspended they are from 2016 can I get them lifted my job said

I could get it lifted and have a scheduled court date to go pay fees my job is with the casino and before I start I have to go to the gaming board and get my finger prints done so I will be in front of the state police

Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett answered on Dec 6, 2018

Having the warrants recalled (lifted) really depends on the court. However, it is very unlikely a court will recall the warrants without you having an attorney. If you go to the court to ask you will be taken into custody. Hire an attorney who is familiar with the court system where your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Gaming for Texas on
Q: I rented a 1,000 sq ft room conected to main house by an outside hallway to main house. After signing a 2 month contract

After the tenant signed a 2 month contract he set up a illegal 8-liner withought my my notice or concent.

Being that the room leased to the tenant is connected to main house by an outside hallway will i be held liable. When the Sheriffs department comes down on him . Who will be held... Read more »

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Oct 4, 2018

Generally, illegal activity allows a landlord to invoke eviction rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Gaming and Social Security for California on
Q: Will they find out I’m underage by matching my real ssn to my fake California ID?

Hit poker jackpot for $1300. I am underage and used fake id with all my real information to claim jackpot money. Used my real ssn on w2g form. Will I get caught that I’m underage? Can they tell I’m underage with my ssn? What should I do next.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Sep 27, 2018

more info needed.

it would be speculation on my part since i handle DUI and Accidents.

maybe contact a local lawyer that deals with this issue.

your appearance would be more of a tip off than SSN

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Gaming for Indiana on
Q: My mom has dogs and they peed on my game systems and it fried them I was wanting to know if I could press charges on her
T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 22, 2018

First, you cannot "press charges," only the local prosecutor can "press charges." You do have a civil case of "conversion" against the dogs. However, that is not going to help you very much. There is no question that you are upset; however, you have few legal options. The legal costs to pursue... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Gaming for California on
Q: How would I go about obtaining ownership of this trademark?

I have interest in potentially claiming this trademark for the purposes of licensing it to video game developers. What steps would I need to take to obtain ownership?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 19, 2018

If you're looking for input from a trademark attorney, the question might be more likely to be picked up by posting it in the Trademark section.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Gaming and Sexual Harassment for Pennsylvania on
Q: I need help with a 'red flag' I was targeted for over 3 years now
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Aug 20, 2018

I think I speak for all the participating attorneys here when I say that MUCH more information is needed from you before any attorney can even begin to offer any helpful advice.

Can you give us a lot more facts to describe your situation? Thanks in advance.

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming for Texas on
Q: My question is an old winning Texas Lottery ticket that has more than 180 days, but less than a year; still be redeemed?


Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks answered on Aug 16, 2018

Why don't you look at the Official Rules for that state lottery board?

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming for New Jersey on
Q: I would like to inquire about taking legal action against a social media casino

I play an online casino games in which I purchase playing coins on a regular basis. I have two separate accounts and happen to win the daily race on BOTH ACCOUNTS on the same day. The casino only paid me for one win even though I provided,ample proof of BOTH my winnings. The win I was not paid for... Read more »

Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks answered on Jul 31, 2018

It sounds like you may have a legitimate claim for breach of contract, and potentially fraud, as well as a number of other claims related to unfair business practices. It'd be worth sending a legal demand letter over to let them know you're serious. An actual lawsuit may be too costly to pursue,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Gaming, Copyright and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: Making money from video games in public places.


I want to make some arcade like machines and then put those in public places where kids can drop some coins in and play. but here's the problem, the games that I would like to run on those machines are not actual arcade games, those are games released for the gaming consoles from... Read more »

John Espinosa
John Espinosa answered on Jun 24, 2018

The owners of the legal rights of those games would probably not take kindly to you infringing on those rights and profiting from it. Their rights are enforceable internationally. Your best bet is to reach out to the owners and ask for permission to do this.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Gaming for California on
Q: Can a bar in ca offer pre packaged marajuana items from a legal dispensary as prizes in a skill game machine
Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman answered on Jun 24, 2018

I don't know the answer, but I would guess that it depends on 1) the skill game machine; 2) whether the sate where the Bar is allows the sale of marijuana; and 3) whether the Bar allows such a prize to be given to a minor. That's the best I can do.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Gaming and Internet Law for California on
Q: Can I force Sony to delete my personal data in messages on their system?

The PlayStation messenger system does not have a means to delete already sent messages. PlayStation support refused to delete my messages containing personal data during a chat request. Their EULA/privacy documentation seems vague and doesn't quite explain this as far as I could understand it, and... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Jun 12, 2018

Your personal data, in all likelihood, belongs to Sony. As a result, you are asking if there is a way to force Sony to delete its own property, which you consented to it giving to it. I doubt that is possible.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Gaming, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Georgia on
Q: How would I go about obtaining the copyright to an old abandoned game?

The trademark was abandoned by Microsoft in 2015, and the company that developed the game, Artoon went defunct in 2010.

And further more about how much would it cost to purchase something like that?

Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks answered on May 14, 2018

Copyright is an asset just like physical possessions. If the company is in fact out of business, their assets went somewhere (and now belong to someone, such as the original owner's heirs, or another entity or individual) following the company's dissolution. Therefore you still must have the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Gaming and Juvenile Law for Indiana on
Q: Can my 12 yr old brother get in trouble with the authorities for stealing hundreds of dollars off of someone's account?

My 12 yr old brother stole around $500 dollars using my friends Xbox account, which was linked to his mother's bank account. Could he get in trouble with the authorities for thievery? This is not the first time this has happened, he recently stole $90 from my mother's credit card on video game... Read more »

Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett answered on May 7, 2018

Yes he can and it a police report has already been made will likely be prosecuted in the juvenile court.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Gaming for Florida on
Q: Hello. I would like to know if a video games Early Access statement can be considered a contract?

Their Statement on the games store page( read as such:

"You are solely purchasing the right to access the latest development build (and additional features based on your level)." (full statement viewable at the link. Too big to post here)... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 1, 2018

It appears to be a contract, but there may be portions of the full statement which you didn't quote (I followed the link but I don't see the language you quoted) which excludes liability. If the game is in beta and you are only buying the current build, it would indeed seem to be a poor bargain on... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for Arizona on
Q: Can Gaming Events offer cash prizes if children enter the event?

People pay to enter a gaming event, things often referred to as "E-Sports". These events offer cash prize pools based on percentages for placement. If children are present, and/or enter the gaming event, are there laws and restrictions the Gaming Event Organizers should be aware of to avoid legal... Read more »

Carrie A. Ward
Carrie A. Ward answered on Apr 15, 2018

You will need to make sure the structure of your game does not trigger an illegal lottery concern. Illegal lotteries consist of 3 elements: (1) provision of a prize; (2) chance; and (3) consideration (i.e., money is paid to play). Event organizers should consult experienced promotions and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.