Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Collections legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Nevada Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Nevada on
Q: I have a credit card debt. It was sold to collections but the company is still coming after me and racking up interest

Once the debt is sold are they allowed to still post late payments on my credit every month and rack up interest while still calling me all the time trying to collect the debt.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 2, 2024

Based on the information provided, I can offer some general insights on this situation, but please note that this is not legal advice. For specific guidance on your case, you should consult with a bankruptcy attorney or a consumer protection lawyer in Nevada.

Generally speaking, when a...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Nevada on
Q: If a NV Creditor has their Judgment “domesticated” in another state do actions follow the rules & exceptions of NV?
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on May 24, 2023

A judgment domesticated in another state follows the rules of the new state for collection.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Collections for Nevada on
Q: What do I do if I the website and phone lines for the finance company that owns my car are down and I can't make a pymnt

I owe on my car and the website has been "under maintenance" and their call center is always closed during open hours, not allowing me to make a payment

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Nov 23, 2022

There is always FedEx and the USMail.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Nevada on
Q: I live in Nevada. I was just served papers, the woman handed them to me did not sign anything and left?

I was served papers hand to hand by a woman she didn't sign anything at all. I have this all on video and audio. The papers are for debt summons. Don't they have to sign a receipt copy and give it to me? I was told by a coworker they have to sign it when they give it to me.

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on May 4, 2022

The proof of service does not have to be signed in your presence or given to you.

Look for an attorney who handles Fair Debt Collections Practices Act cases.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Nevada on
Q: I was sued for a voluntary Repo of a car from 7 years ago....Apparently The defendant said I was served and has a judgt

i was never served and its past the statute of limitations i think. I got mail from the constable today. How can I get the court to dismiss it since i was not served and its past the statute of limitations?

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on Apr 15, 2022

Immediately file a motion to set aside the judgment.

NOTICES: There are strict time deadlines so that you must file your lawsuit in Court or take other action or be forever barred from relief.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Tax Law, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Nevada on
Q: what can i do about an collection of a insurance claim
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on Mar 27, 2022

If you could provide more details, that would assist in getting the best answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Collections, Identity Theft and Social Security for Nevada on
Q: Credit report account made but not by me?

So I go to credit karma to make acc. They tell me a acc already made with a email. And told me what email. My biological fathers. And so on. Apparently goes on it everyday? Why? My credit. I’m 25. I am mentally disable. Growing up. I guess as a aunt said. He used me for debt. Wells Fargo credit... View More

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Aug 30, 2021

If someone has misused your Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for you, then you need to take action right away. Go to - it is a website managed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - and they will help you with a recovery... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Banking, Collections and Gov & Administrative Law for Nevada on
Q: I'm filing for bankruptcy own my house my niece is living in it while I live with my mother. Can they seize my house?

I live in my mother's house to take care of her, so I let my niece live in my house.

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Mar 25, 2021

These questions need to be answered by your bankruptcy attorney after he has reviewed your finances.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation, Business Law and Collections for Nevada on
Q: Is there a lawyer that can assist with a pay day loan / hard money loan startup?

Need help obtaining a 604a license and any other items needed for the startup

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 4, 2021

A Nevada attorney could assist best, but your question remains open for a month. Given the Q & A format of this board, it could be difficult for a law firm to come forth and offer their services like in an attorney referral site. At this point, you could reach out to attorneys. There's a... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Collections, Immigration Law and Consumer Law for Nevada on
Q: my immigration lawyer wont give me my file until i pay him and its in collection since 2011 what can i do
Ashley Negrette
Ashley Negrette
answered on Oct 10, 2017

You should contact the County Bar Association in your area. They have programs that can help settle disputes between attorneys. Each state has different requirements for attorneys so its important to know the rule the applies and then take action accordingly.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Collections for Nevada on
Q: The timeshare company has assessed an admin fee of $106 because we're late on our quarterly fees. Can they charge this
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Aug 9, 2016

Check your timeshare agreement. Most timeshares do assess a penalty for late payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.