COVID-19 Banking Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
  • Washington DC

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Banking Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Collections and Banking for California on
Q: Can a Credit One bank call my work twice & tell 2 different random people that they are going to serve me with papers

Also told then if I am not at work they will speak with a judge? I currently have Covid & am not at work. I work in a medical facility & numerous people answer phones there. I live in California. My current debt with them is roughly 1200.00

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 20, 2023

It's illegal for a debt collector to disclose information about your debt or threaten to take legal action against you to anyone other than you or your attorney. This includes contacting your employer or coworkers about your debt.

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA),...
View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Collections for Florida on
Q: Are creditors allowed to ask for bank statements to help with proof of hardship?

I’m working with a company I’ve defaulted on due to Covid hardship. I’ve sent everything and now they’re requesting to see my bank statements. My personal account over laps at times with my fiancée business account. I try not to let it happen. But there are times he needs me to do things... View More

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Sep 24, 2021

You are attempting to resolve a claim that a creditor has with you. They've asked for some documents which you've provided, and now they want bank statements. Are they allowed to ask for bank statements?

Of course they can ask for them. Creditors ask for bank statements all the...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Banking and Elder Law for California on
Q: Can a check made out to the sole trustee of a revocable living trust be cashed without a trust account?

Elderly father received check after home refi. It’s made out to him as: “Name, as trustee of the abc trust”. It cannot be reissued.

Trust is a revocable living trust. Mother and father were the grantors and only 2 trustees. Mother passed away, father is sole trustee now (successor). I... View More

James Edward Berge
James Edward Berge
answered on Oct 27, 2020

It’s a common situation, but every bank and credit union and other financial institution has its own rules. My experience as an estate planning specialist with over 25 years in the field is to simply have your dad endorse the check on the reverse side as follows: “For deposit only”, and then... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Banking and International Law for New Jersey on
Q: If Im poa on my Dad's account, that can't be affected by my bankruptcy? Also can I open a new account with us both on?

My father is moving to a new country next week and I am newly appointed durable power of attorney over his financial accounts.... If I file bankruptcy that shouldn't effect his banks accounts correct? Also I was thinking of opening a new checking account with my father and myself as joint... View More

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 10, 2020

Do not open any bank accounts until after your bankruptcy is discharged. Do not look for problems. You also need to be represented by an experienced Bankruptcy attorney. What you do not know can cause you all sorts of problems. You really need to leave things alone. Even with the Pandemic, if you... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Estate Planning and Probate for Massachusetts on
Q: Can a housebound bank account holder let me log in on their behalf to initiate transfers?

My father died with a bank account with the name of an ex-fiancee still on it as a joint holder. She hasn't ever used the account as far as I can tell. She (and her current husband) want the money in the account to go to myself and my sister. Unfortunately she doesn't have an online login... View More

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Aug 6, 2020

Assuming your father was a Massachusetts resident for the comments: Are you the Personal Representative of your father's estate? If so, you need to contact the bank involved and provide them with your Letter of Authority and Federal Taxpayer ID for the estate and some form of authorization by... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Michigan on
Q: Banking help for person from United States that is stuck in Canada from pandemic shutdown.

There is a friend that is stuck in Canada still from the Clovid-19 lockdown. While in Canada the person had their bank account in the United states suspended due to , the bank says, fraudulent activity. The company this person works for can only deposit money earned to bank account. Meanwhile my... View More

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
answered on Jul 6, 2020

Banks have systems that "red flag" accounts when certain events happen, such as uncommon account usage or access from new locations. Banks will have procedures in place to identify the person and ensure that there is no identity theft. Depending on her bank, talking to someone that can... View More

4 Answers | Asked in Banking and Bankruptcy for California on
Q: Objectively, can creditors in Chapter 7 garnish checking account money from State and Government benefits?

Benefits including Social Security, stimulus check and Unemployment Insurance due to Covid-19 in California.

Harlene Miller
Harlene Miller
answered on Jun 15, 2020

Question not specific. Are you currently in a chapter 7 bankruptcy case? If so, creditors are stayed from collecting from you - no matter what the source of the funds. Upon filing a bankruptcy, any garnishment in place is stopped. Talk with your bankruptcy attorney - hopefully you have one... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Ohio on
Q: how do i get my name off a joint loan with ex husband

my name is on a joint loan with ex husband. how do i get my name off. he's ruining my credit by not paying. divorce decree stated he is solely responsible for repayment.

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Apr 29, 2020

You can talk to the lender, but lender likely will not agree to take you off. So the loan would have to be refinanced. If ex won't refinance or pay, then file with the court to have ex held in contempt. Talk to your divorce attorney, or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.