Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Adoption Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Indiana on
Q: Hello I need to find what forms i need to file with the court so my husband can adopt my daughter.

bio dad is not around hasnt been in over three years. i have two other children with my current husband.i dont think bio dad will try to stop it but i cant get ahold of him to sign his rights over im in indiana

Kurt Kazmierczak
Kurt Kazmierczak answered on Sep 21, 2021

You can get sample forms from the clerk, or possibly even at your county's website. Without the biological dad around to consent, there are things that need to be addressed with the court in order for this to have a chance at working. This is a scenario that can get very complicated very... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Adoption for Indiana on
Q: Can I get a case reopened when it did go in front of a judge and my rights was took and my children was adopted out

And I lost my rights when I was in jail and now I got a job and better myself my rights got took in 2020 and I been out of trouble and clean for a year so is there a way I can get them back

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 19, 2021

Your question remains open for two weeks, probably because the Admiralty/Maritime heading you included got in the way of the main issue, which is adoption. Try reposting again, and only choose Adoption and Family Law as categories. If you still don't receive a response, you could reach out to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Juvenile Law for Indiana on
Q: Can a 14 year old girl runaway from home and not get in trouble?

I’m 14 years old That lives in Indiana and I don’t want to live with parents anymore. They mentally abuse me. They control my life and don’t let me express myself. They always shut me down and always threaten me that they will hit me. I’m tired of waking up everyday and hearing they yell at... Read more »

Joel D. Hand
Joel D. Hand answered on May 1, 2020

The short answer is “No”. You cannot run away from home without running the risk that you will find yourself in juvenile court for a juvenile delinquency matter. You could be placed on juvenile probation and have many consequences imposed by the judge.

However, you really should reach...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Indiana on
Q: I need advice getting out of my grandmas house she’s mentally abusive towards me n I’m at my breaking point

I can’t go back to my moms yet untill an old step parent of mine is gone my boufriend has offered to talk to his mom and let me stay there but I don’t think I can leave with out her calling the cops after a while sayin I’ve run way and I do t wanna be charged for runaway when I wanted to get... Read more »

Kurt Schnepper
Kurt Schnepper answered on Feb 25, 2020

It sounds like DCS is involved with your family, or was involved anyway. If my assumption is correct, I'd suggest you reach out to your caseworker and talk to them about your situation. But if you feel you are truly being abused then you should call 911, or contact any attorney who would make... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Indiana on
Q: Do I need a lawyer for my husband to adopt my daughter?

My husband of 9 years wants to adopts my daughter. Her biological dad hasn’t been involved since day 1. she’s 14 , he’s never paid child support and no order in place for it. They’ve never even met, except once when she was first born. He’s not listed on the birth certificate. Do I need... Read more »

Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson answered on Dec 20, 2019

Even in a situation like this, where it appears you have a lot of points going in your favor, the adoption process can still be quite complex. You would be well served to at least speak with an experienced attorney to get a thorough review of your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Military Law for Indiana on
Q: What has to be done to get out of a military contract prior to going to naval academy.

My brother in-law just turned 18 and is about to go to naval academy. The thing is he never wanted to be in the military. Both he and my wife lived in an abusive adopted household and he was forced to enlist. He only just turned 18 and finally moved out, he is willing to do all most anything, even... Read more »

John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr. answered on Aug 1, 2019

Based on the information provided in your question he would have to contact the school if he is to attend college, if he has an enlistment contract he would have to talk to the recruiter who signed him up to try and void it. If her can't by the time he is supposed to leave I would advise him... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Support and Family Law for Indiana on
Q: Can I legally get back child support for my daughter prior to her adoption by my husband?
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Apr 16, 2018

Assuming your attempts to collect back child support are within Indiana law, yes. Please be aware that there are statute of limitations for collecting back child support after a certain age, emancipation or adoption.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana on
Q: Help with absent father who threatens court with me.

My daughters father has not paid child support, he goes months without contacting her, shes 2, and months without seeing her. He will text me a couple days before he wishes to see her and when i tell him that i have plans he gets upset and says that its my fault he doesn't have a relationship... Read more »

John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr. answered on Mar 26, 2018

When you get married and your significant other wants to adopt the child you must first terminate the biological parents rights first and then put the adoption through. The termination can be consented to or contested and if contested then a hearing will have to be conducted to see what is in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Adoption for Indiana on
Q: Trying to get guardianship of my friends son. He's lived with me for 2 years now. But I don't know if the dad will

How would I go about doing it, if the dad won't sign. He hasn't been in his life since the boy was 6months old. He is now almost 3.

John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr. answered on Mar 19, 2018

Based on your question it sounds like you need to file a motion with the court for guardianship of the minor child. If the Father is contesting it then the court will decide what is in the child's best interest. That is the standard in Indiana, the child's best interest in matters like... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: Does the breed of my dog stop me from being able to adopt my brother?
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Jul 24, 2017

In adoption like any other matter relating to child custody, almost everything is is considered. Everything must be done in the best interests of the child.

So is the breed of your dog relevant to adoption? It could be. The history of your dog's temperament is probably more important...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana on
Q: I have fought for custody with my ex and his wife for 5 years. I pay over$1000 a month. I need to sign over rights.

I have a third child and his father hasn't worked in over 2 years so doesn't pay support. I can't properly support him. I also barely have a relationship with my older 2 and feel like they would be better off not feeling the struggle anymore. How should I approach this? I lost my... Read more »

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Apr 16, 2017

You can contact your ex's attorney if you are now pro se, and tell him or her that you are giving up the custody battle. I am sure that the other attorney will be happy to draft the necessary paperwork. Be very aware that the other attorney is not representing you.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana on
Q: Can I represent myself in the termination of my children's fathers' rights and have my husband adopt them?

Bio father has not seen them in 6 months nor has paid child support in 6 + mo. He has an active warrant. His where about is unknown.

Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Apr 4, 2017

Yes, you can represent yourself. I would not advise it as having an experienced family law attorney guide you through the process can make it go more smoothly and generally move along faster. However, that is your prerogative.

If you have remarried and your new husband wishes to adopt your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Indiana on
Q: My soon to be husband wants to adopt my 4 month old daughter. Can the father give up his rights.
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Mar 14, 2017

Congratulations on your future nuptials. After you are legally married, your new husband can adopt your 4 month old daughter. The biological father can give up his rights by consenting to the adoption or refusing to contest the adoption.

It can be much more complicated than that if the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Indiana on
Q: I am a female married to a female can both of us legally sign the birth certificate?
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch answered on Mar 14, 2017

Yes. This was actually litigated and decided on in the past year. Indiana must list both spouses in same sex marriages as parents on their children's birth certificate.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Wrongful Death for Indiana on
Q: My dad was killed by a drunk driver a lawsuit was filed and won. I was adopted by another man do I have rights?

Do I have any rights to the money. My mom made my dad sign over his rights to me and then left the town we were living in and had me adopted by my half sisters dad. My sister (different then the one whose dad adpoted me.)has control of the money and blows it.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 5, 2016

You should see a lawyer. The money was to be held in trust for you.Whoever administrated the estate should have seen it was put in a bank account for you.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: Must we have an attorney for a step parent adoption in Indiana? Is it possible to do so without an attorney?
Mr Jeffrey D Heck
Mr Jeffrey D Heck answered on Jul 12, 2012

In many counties, you must have an attorney to work on probate case. Larger cities do require attorneys. Look at your local rules, as posted on the Indiana Supreme Court website

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: My cousin adopted her grandkids last yr. She can't care for them now. How can I go about adopting them?

My cousin adopted her 4 grandkids last year (all in elementary school). Due to some unforeseen reasons, she is no longer able to care for them. What steps do I need to take in order to adopt these kids? Their biological parents gave up their rights and my cousin adopted these children by going... Read more »

Mr Jeffrey D Heck
Mr Jeffrey D Heck answered on Jul 12, 2012

The most involved step is that you need a social worker to produce a home study report. This can be done through most adoption agencies. This report is intended to demonstrate to the judge that you are financially, physically, psychologically, and legally able to adopt. With this report in hand,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: How can I find an actual pro bono lawyer in my town?
Terrence Rubino
Terrence Rubino answered on Aug 17, 2011

call the county bar association and it should be able to direct you. if you live in lake county there is a legal aid clinic in gary. if you live in hammond, there is a hammond legal aid on hohman ave. good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Indiana on
Q: I was adopted in late 60's,how do I open the records?
Burton A. Padove
Burton A. Padove answered on Jul 22, 2011

Indiana has a very comprehensive program concerning the opening of adoptions. Ehow has an excellent How to article

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.