Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Mr. Chad Van Horn

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Virginia on

Q: I've been called by a debt collector for an amt. that was charged off in my bankruptcy; may I give them the case #?

They've been harassing my entire family for info; even contacting my ex sister-n-law.

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Jul 9, 2019

Yes. Give them your case number and discharge order. Also, if you have the schedules that show they were listed as a creditor you can send that as well. If they continue, speak to your bankruptcy attorney and they can go after them for a discharge violation.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Missouri on

Q: My name is misspelled under my SS# for my credit. Is it possible to make my "bad" credit disappear without bankruptcy?

My last name is spelled one way and they have it spelled another.

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Mar 30, 2018

Unfortunately not. Your credit is tied to your social security number, not your name. The only way for the "bad" marks to go away is to settle them, file bankruptcy, or wait the 7 years for them to fall off your credit.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for New Jersey on

Q: I filed Chpt 13 bankruptcy and want to convert to 7. I included my car and don’t want to leave the debt on cosigner

The only way my co-signer will agree on me converting if he can keep the car and he make payments. Is this possible?

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Mar 5, 2018

Most likely, yes. This will be up to the lien holder, but as long as they remain current on the payments they should be able to keep the car.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Virginia on

Q: We have Chap 13 in SC now live in VA and I lost my job can we convert to Chap 7 here in VA?

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Mar 5, 2018

No. The case would have to be converted in South Carolina. You also could dismiss the 13 and file a 7 in VA. You should meet with a VA bankruptcy attorney to discuss your options.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy for Florida on

Q: Is it true that if I file for bankruptcy here in Florida that I won't be able to rent anything for two years?

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Mar 3, 2018

No. That's not true at all. Some landlords may require an extra security deposit or an extra month rent up front, but you will be able to lease an apartment.

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania on

Q: debt collector suing me for a car repoed 2 years ago. What are my options to stop company from garnishing wages, etc.

Is bankruptcy even an option in this situation? Defficiency is a little over $19,000

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Jun 19, 2017

Yes, bankruptcy is still an option and this debt is dischargeable. You should speak with a local bankruptcy attorney ASAP.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Illinois on

Q: Question about wage garnishments/liens

I am currently gathering all of my information to file bankruptcy. Yesterday, I received a phone call from a lawyer trying to collect a past debt. She says the motion will be filed to serve me tomorrow unless I pay what is due. I do not have the money to pay this by tomorrow. She threatened wage... Read more »

Mr. Chad Van Horn answered on Nov 8, 2016

This cannot be done without a judgment first. As soon as you file you will be able to discharge this liability. I would move forward with the bankruptcy as soon as you can.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.