Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arkansas Divorce Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Arkansas on
Q: Ex-wife is 6 months behind on mortgage that's in husband's name. Divorce decree states she must make timely payments.

What is his options to either get back the house that was his inheritance from his parents or to keep it from being foreclosed on.

Q: Ive got proof of my wife talking texting and exchanging photos while married and causing her to want us to divorce.

Need a lawyer to help me win my case. I want us to have our marriage back and be happy for our kids

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: my spouse put an order of protection on me after seperation now she is selling all of our belonging is this legal

Order of protection that way i couldn't go to house. She has put these items for sale on fb marketplace. She has also always worked but quit 6 months or so before I filed can she get alamony she had a job after i filed but quit so she can get alamony. sold all the stuff in shop thousands of... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can I leave the state with a minor child for a new job offer?

My soon to be ex-husband keeps stalling the divorce, he burns and destroys my belongings that I use to make a living with, ( I train horses), he constantly harasses me. I have a job offer in another state that would allow me to make a good living for me and my minor child. He hasn't seen the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Arkansas on
Q: how can a judge give all my rights away without a court date

got a complaint on paternity and judgement of paternity

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on Apr 14, 2021

Insufficient amount of information to formulate an answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: my brother n his wife r getting divorced. were up visiting them, but ex is threatening to call cops cuz she wants her ba

they're still legally married. no papers have been filled. she wants full custody and my brother said no. we're just up visiting and she knows it. he still has contact and let's her know everything. she says she'll call the cops cuz she wants her back. will he be in trouble

Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes answered on Apr 13, 2021

If nothing has been filed-no formal proceedings commenced, they are simply parents of children and are on equal footing. They are charged with caring for those children under Arkansas Law.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: In a divorce can both parties give custody of a minor to a third party? minor does not live with either parent

My god daughter has been living with me for over 2yrs. Her parents are separated (for about the same amount of time) can they sign custody over to me in their divorce? Or does that have to be done separately?

James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr answered on Mar 8, 2021

It's called a guardianship and does require a Court action. You will do the divorce AND guardianship at the same time. Many Judges prefer two different actions. There is a lot going on in a guardianship. Many guardianships turn into adoption at some time. Parents often let the guardian (you)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Divorce and Collections for Arkansas on
Q: Can a vehicle loan company sue me?

A vehicle loan company on a vehicle that was obtained during my marriage is trying to sue me (has filed a civil suit) for amount owed on the vehicle, that vehicle has been repossessed. I have since gotten a divorce and in the divorce decree it states that the plaintiff, who is my now ex-husband,... Read more »

Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera
Ana Maria Del Valle-Aguilera answered on Jul 28, 2020

Usually the court order regarding distribution of assets and liabilities is not binding on your creditors. You can contact the lending company and provide them with a copy of the court order and they may, if they so wish, attempt to collect only from your husband, but they are not required to do... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Arkansas on
Q: There's not a cohabitation clause in my divorce/ custody order. Everything is final now. But could I get in trouble?

My ex said that that that if my fiance moves in and spends the night while I have my kids, he is going to press contempt of court charges on me. But there is nothing in our divorce or custody papers saying my fiancee can't live here or spend the night while my kids are here.

Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on Jun 2, 2020

If it is not addressed in the divorce or custody document you wouldn't be in contempt (it is frequently included, so make SURE that is the case). However, he can ask the court for a modification to restrict cohabitation.

I would expect that to be successful. Conservative state,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: Can spouse open a child support case against the other spouse, while married in the state of Arkansas?

I was looking over my child support payments, no balance. And I always wondered if it is possible to open a child support case while married. My ex-wife opened this case in 2009 but we were divorced in 2010, so I always wondered how was that even possible to open a case while married.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 25, 2020

If she was drawing support from the state they can bring an action.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: My ex wife and I remarried a yr after our divorce. She had full custody rights. Is that still in place or voided, null?
Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 24, 2020

The issue of custody is always open for review. The issue is always what is in the best interest of the child.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: What if I want to file divorce but my husband wont move out of our home in Arkansas?

We have two children and I will be keeping the home. I can't uproot the children and cause them more trauma to get our 30 day separation but my husband isn't taking me seriously when I tell him to move out. His family doesn't want to get involved, but I can't get him to move out of the house.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 21, 2020

You do not have to live separate and apart ,in the literal sense , to file for divorce but separate and apart as not being husband and wife ie no sex ,separate bedrooms etc etc. The real issue is, are you safe?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I married a man in 2009, we separated 4 months later he wouldn't sign a divorce & he is now remarried. What can I do?

We separated after he hit my son, I have asked multiple times to please sign but he wouldn't. I have children from a previous relationship. We have no assets, children nothing! I don't know where he currently lives & have no idea how to go about getting a divorce. Please help me.

Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 8, 2020

If he remarried without divorcing you then he is a polygamist which is criminal offense. You can go to the prosecuting attorney and have him charged.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I am in the middle of my divorce, husband says he has no 401k, how do you successfully check for assets?
Stewart Whaley
Stewart Whaley answered on May 3, 2020

Hire an attorney. Discovery will force admission or denial, and production or withholding of 401K documents. Compare that to what responses from his employers . There is no "check for all assets" database, but discovery will help. You may need to hire an accountant.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: Can my husband legally sell or give my property away while the divorce is pending?
Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 3, 2020

No. You should talk to your lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: I recently have gotten a divorce and my ex is not complying with the divorce papers what can I do
Don Spears
Don Spears answered on May 3, 2020

You will to file a Motion for Contempt in the divorce court where the Decree was entered.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Arkansas on
Q: In my divorce can I ensure my son is not removed from his very good school and environment?

My wife and I are getting a divorce and she has eluded to taking our son out of state to be near her family. However we moved him to Arkansas, where my family lives. We made this move because his education plan needs were not being met. The reason for this move to Arkansas has been well documented.... Read more »

Paul Dumas
Paul Dumas answered on Mar 14, 2020

Your situation requires careful planning and a working knowledge of Arkansas custody and visitation law. When it comes to moving a child out of state, Arkansas law has certain presumptions about the benefits to the child of moving away, and which parent carries the burden of proving that such a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Tax Law for Arkansas on
Q: Can my soon to be ex-wife get a hold put on my taxes if I filed first and did everything the right way

I repeatedly asked her to file taxes with me she refused I want to head and filed them on my own as head of household so will start with a text and order Belcourt so that’s a legal separation document and I lived in the house 11 months out of 12 so I filed all three daughters bars and now I’ve... Read more »

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Feb 21, 2020

When two people file and take the same dependents the IRS will place a hold on both accounts while they investigate and determine who had the right to take the dependents. If this is what happened then you should hear from the IRS. If she is the one telling you that there is a hold on your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arkansas on
Q: I am going through a divorce. MY spouse and I have had 3 sexual encounters but he tells me not to tell anyone, why?/

We have no "video" proof, but some texts where we have met or driving to meet eachother, texts as well saying he cant stop thinking of me since he saw me the night before...

Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke answered on Dec 12, 2019

One of the requirements for divorce is that you are separated from your spouse. Generally that means that you are no longer having a sexual relationship. If you all are still having sex, it could prevent you and your spouse from obtaining a divorce. Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.