Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: What is the statute of limitations in Colorado for a buyer to sue a seller after the sale of a home?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 18, 2022

You will need to hire a competent CO attorney to figure out what the applicable SOL is, as different causes of actions have different SOLs. Despite numerous postings, noone has responded because your question is incomplete. Call one of the CO lawyers listed here on Justia, whom I have noticed... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Colorado on
Q: I have a rock solid veterinary medical malpractice suit. Are there any lawyers, or law students that would help me?

I have a rock solid case & I guarantee you, this will never make it to a judge. We live in a small town and this man has a big reputation to uphold so I know he will settle out of court. He wouldn't release Juno's doctor's notes for almost 2 years. I just got them and they... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on
Q: I was illegally kicked out of my apartment and would like to sue for being made homeless. What kind of attorney do I nee

I was initially evicted, but worked with another lawyer to get the eviction removed. I still had to leave my apartment with only a days notice and have since been homeless. I would like to sue them, but I am having difficulty finding what type of lawyer I need to find to help me.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 19, 2022

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry this happened to you. You ask what type of lawyer you need. Out of the categories you chose, landlord-tenant is probably the best place to start. Personal injury attorneys aren't likely to have... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: I am released from my lease because of this domestic violence law. My lease was terminated on April 25. My landlord

Is telling me that I still owe a full month of rent is this true? Should I not be charged at all or have 5 days worth of rent deducted?

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: How can I get reimbursed for my time and a witness fee for being a "pop up witness.?"

I was never served a subpoena and was forced to be a""pop up witness " to discuss a subpoena that was served on someone who was evading service. That person never showed up for court and the judge refused to accept the return of service, but I had to testify about a subpoena that... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: I have been livong with my mother since Oct.2021 paying $150 a month for rent. She recently demanded I leave immediately

Without notice or reason kicked me out. she kept 150 of the rent for April but i left the 12th. She said its because my stuff is still at her house. Yesterday she cut my 22ft pool in pieces and put it out by the trash where the pump and stairs and other accessories were stolen by a randpn passerby... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation, Collections and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: What are my steps when a law firm threatens to sue for something where the statute of limitations has expired?

I received a strongly worded letter from a law firm threatening legal action in the form of a lawsuit over an unpaid debt. They also said that it’s been noted that I attempted to basically defraud the collector because I allegedly closed a bank account. (Don’t recall this) The debt itself I am... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Apr 12, 2022

first of all, go see a good bankruptcy/financial distress lawyer. It sounds to me like the statute of limitation might have run. If that is the case, then you have an action against the law firm.

That aside, bankruptcy could be your solution, but only a good local lawyer can give you that...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: Can I sue someone for breaking my car window. Even though it’s been over a month?

Hi. It is 2-21-22. On 1-12-22. An intoxicated passenger of mine ripped out my manual cranks for both back windows. After rolling down the windows. Then got out and took my door and slammed 3 times hard enough until the window shattered inside the door. I didn’t call the police on account I had... Read more »

Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait answered on Feb 21, 2022

In Colorado, yes you can sue someone for money to compensate you for damage to your vehicle. Colorado counties have general district courts that will allow small claims lawsuits. Colorado statutes § 13-6-403 limit the claims in small claims court to $7,500 total. Your claim for money owed by this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Divorce for Colorado on
Q: my wife served me with divorce papers. She began stealing both our accounts and our business account we are still marr

We are still married as the judge continued the divorce until July. I was wondering while we waited, how I can get my money back, as she stopped checks to both my lawyers, leaving them unpaid, and me in a financial burden. I believe she also used my signature to take me off an account, yet not... Read more »

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Jan 26, 2022

You should consult with your existing lawyers re how best to proceed.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: What if a court order is impossible to complete ?

I got divorced in Colorado and have been ordered reintegration therapy to have contact with my children however I live in Florida. To have therapy the therapist must be licensed in both states this is impossible to find and if I did find a therapist willing they would be in violation of the law... Read more »

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Jan 6, 2022

Yes, you can file a motion to have he court modify it's order. Your motion should propose a solution that is possible and that will meet the court's initial concerns. You should get a lawyer in Colorado to help you with this (assuming the order is from the Colorado court).

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Colorado on
Q: what do i do if my soon to be ex wife and my family the state and conuty ect .... as well as every bank wont help me ..

they have hacked every phone ..on my sixth phone line ..i now have no money no wheels.. they are hidding everything from and everyone has helped them ... she sold and stole a patent of my and now doing it agian ..its all about money investment property ... i never even knew and now they're try... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Nov 4, 2021

Scheduling an appointment with a therapist to help you move past your loss. If you've exhausted all other remedies there's nothing left but to let it go. A professional can assist you with that.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Animal / Dog Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: If I bought a dog from somebody and they weren't up to date on the shots and I wanted to return the dog and get a refund

And is it illegal to sell a dog without up-to-date shots to somebody

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Jun 9, 2021

Depending on where the dog came from, it is very likely a PACFA violation. Age could also be a problem (a dog sold too young (i.e., less than 8 weeks old) to receive certain shots is a violation - although dogs do not have all their shots at 8 weeks due to boosters being necessary over a period of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: My Ex husband have signed my signatures on Quit Claim Deed of our marital property with out my permission.

He prepared a fake quit claim deed and take my name off actually the property was on the name of 3 individual owner's. After signing deed he got notarized fraudulently. Notary has notarized deed with out my physical presence. Means there is also a froud comit by notary Public.

County... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on May 4, 2021

You are on the right path, you likely have claim against both your X and the notary.

You can schedule a consultation online 24/7 by going to or calling us at 303-688-0944. At your free case assessment we'll discuss the facts, your proof, options, rights, risks,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Construction Law and Small Claims for Colorado on
Q: If a vendor/contractor damaged my property, can I claim against the person who hired the vendor?

I'm a commercial tenant in a mall struggling to open a small business in the midst of this pandemic. A neighboring shop owner in the mall hired or asked a vendor/contractor to remove some equipment from her shop and he took a piece of my equipment valued at $1,300. When he returned it, it was... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Apr 25, 2021

You should file that small claims action to force this to a conclusion more quickly.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: How much latitude does a judge have in denver district court, civil litigation of unjust enrichment?

defendants attorney filed response that included the defense of statue of limitations.

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Apr 19, 2021

The issue here is does the Opposing Party have a legitimate defense and claim that the case is barred as a result of the Statute of Limitations. You will likely need to respond to this assertion. You are in Dist Court, if you are serious about your case you should consider having an attorney... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Colorado on
Q: can you offer me a a defense for statue of limitations in my civil case complaint of unjust enrichment?

the defendant answered my complaint and argued that the i didnt have a claim due to statue of limitations. in my response, i want to argue that althought time has passed, i just found out

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Apr 19, 2021

You may have a viable defense to the Statute of Limitations defense. In some types of claims the Statute of Limitations does not begin to run until the damaged party (you) has notice of the defect. This will get very technical very fast. I recommend you contact an attorney to discuss your claims... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Elder Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Colorado on
Q: My sister is trying to remove my name from a death certificate so she can deal with finances without permission?
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Apr 15, 2021

I'm not sure what difference the death certificate makes. In Colorado, the Personal Representative controls disposition of the decedent's assets. The Personal Representative is appointed by the probate court. It usually is whomever is named as PR by the will. If no will, then the PR is... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.