Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
Q: Need a civil rights atty who can deal with police misconduct, in multiple counties but also at the Federal level. ASAP

First me then my son have been gangstalk by multiple police in different countries my son went to jail never charged now my son was killed by them but by them making another person do it. They tried to get me. When they couldn't they went after my son. One cop told me it would happen. I told... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Apr 10, 2020

you are on a PI site and I do not handle that specialized area of law.

i would suggest you write out a detailed summary of the facts

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Do any of the new acts (CARES, etc) in place protect new mothers who just ran out of their FMLA during this crisis?

My wife and I just had a baby in February, she ran out of her FMLA last week. She's a nurse who is staying home until this passes since we have an infant at home. So she's not technically unemployed, but they're now telling her she has to pay in for her insurance. Can they do this?... Read more »

Joel Perry Glaser
Joel Perry Glaser answered on Apr 10, 2020

The question is how long has your wife been off work and is she protected by laws other than FMLA, as well as entitled to temporary disability benefits while she recovers from childbirth. I recommend you contact an employer lawyer directly.

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for California on
Q: I would like to know if I USA court cases can be transferred to Saltillo or Other Mexican State?

Is the USA law interchangeable with the Mexican Law?

Can a representative from Justia headquartered in Saltillo answer this for me?

In the very low tab under Company and then About Justia says that about your company.

I want to know if this website Is a Company, an... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Apr 5, 2020

more info needed.

however, i have never heard of a US case being transferred to Mexico or another country.

I believe that they simply would not have jurisdiction

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Tax Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Can a labor union continue collecting dues when it is suspended, and unable to legally conduct business?

Labor union, a non-profit, was suspended in California by the FTB, from October 2018 to May 2019. During this time they continued collecting dues without informing members of suspension status. Union was reinstated, or revived, in May 2019. Was this legal? Are dues collected during this time... Read more »

David Ostrove
David Ostrove answered on Apr 4, 2020

A suspended corporation cannot conduct business in California. Such corporation has lost all of its right to conduct business during suspension Once reinstated, it may again conduct business.

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Gov & Administrative Law, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for California on
Q: Does my employer have rights to the teaching materials I have prepared at home on my own computer and on my own time?

I am an adjunct lecturer at a university in California. My employment status is part time and varies from quarter to quarter. I have evidence that all my teaching materials including lectures, power point slides, quizzes, exams, etc. are readily available for download from a University server.

Tania Maria Williams
Tania Maria Williams answered on Mar 25, 2020

Unfortunately, they might because the materials were created during the scope and course of employment for the purpose why you were hired. You may want to check your employment agreement if you have one because ther usually is a clause regarding the ownership of intellectual property.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Gov Newsom announced shutdown citing this code and for only essential workers to go to work.

Code 8665 was announced in a declaration to stay home last night. My job is to check vacant properties for squatters and it is very bad if I don’t do this. They will move in and take over. I am self employed and contracted. Am I part of the necessary work force? Does this read as a document for... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Mar 20, 2020

We are in a whole new set of circumstances and it is not easy to know exactly how the Governor's Order will be interpreted. On its face it appears to say you must stay at home unless you carry out one of the 16 essential government services referenced in the Order. However you also need to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Coronavirus: Postponing gym membership or do nothing?


William John Light
William John Light answered on Mar 18, 2020

Whether you have a right to cancel your membership is set forth in your Gym contract and Civil Code section 1813.80, and following statutes. The terms by which you might be entitled to a freeze on the membership are likely also specified in the contract. Whether the gym's current offer to... Read more »

View More Answers

Q: How can I prove I am being harassed by the city

Code enforcement is harassing me. Now they are targetting my neighbor for helping me

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Mar 10, 2020

You need a lawyer who knows how to protect your civil rights. Code enforcement harassment can result in liens against your property which then drive up your mortgage payments and can put you in danger of losing your home if you can't afford the new payments your mortgage company can force on... Read more »

Q: Can I deposit my Daughters $19K Jackpot winnings into her Special Needs Trust so that SSI doesn’t stop her monthly pmnt

She is on SSI and is Bi Polar. There is a Special Needs Trust set up for her. She won this playing Bingo and the Casino took all the taxes out and gave her $5,000 cash and the rest in a check because that is what she asked them to do. I found out about it and have all of it now and wondering what I... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Mar 10, 2020

Yes if her special needs trust is a first party SNT; otherwise no. If it is not a first party SNT the best choice is probably an ABLE account if she is eligible.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Probate for California on
Q: How can I find a CA attorney who sues Counties for failure to notify collaterals of conservator hearings?

I lost contact with my brother ten years ago and searched for him ever since. I am just now learning he suffered a stroke and lost his memory. The County placed him in a Board & Care and established conservatorship but failed to take reasonable steps to notify me. They denied my right to step... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 12, 2020

more info needed.

i would google attorneys who litigate against governmental entities or something like that.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: How do I lobby by myself? How do I push forward a bill that needs to be passed?
Kevin Christopher Murphy
Kevin Christopher Murphy answered on Jan 29, 2020

Contact your local County Bar Association and secure guidance from their Legislative Committee. We are submitting a Proposal for consideration, and have found the San Diego County Bar's Legis. Comm. to be extremely helpful in guiding/assisting our office. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Collections and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: what form is appropriate for use in a child support case to express the undisclosed conflict of interest

my children's mother has a new child with the relative of a judge believed to be in the family law division.

Mike Darlington
Mike Darlington answered on Dec 25, 2019

Sounds rather nebulous at this point. If the Judge is only believed to be in the family law division; I do not see where that would cause a conflict.

If the case ends up being assigned to the Judge in question and you raise the issue with the court it would seems that the judge might...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Municipal Law for California on
Q: Who does make sure cities in a state ( California) comply with state laws?
Michael Doland
Michael Doland answered on Dec 24, 2019

Your question is too vague to permit any analysis. What laws?

Q: Does what the attorney general said recently count as a general threat to public safety and if so can anything be done?

Bar said something along the lines of that people who don’t “support and respect” the cops “might find themselves without the police protection they need.” This was all framed in a context of political decent.

For our attorney general to say that feels like a threat especially... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Dec 6, 2019

What the Attorney General said was both inappropriate and highly improper, in my opinion. What you can do is make your voice heard in the ballot box next November at the next presidential election by choosing a candidate who will not keep this particular attorney general in his position. The only... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: The attorney stated that I plead guilty. But I did not plead guilty .

California Penal Code section 15 says that unless 1. Death or 2. Imprisonment or 3. Fine or 4. Removal from Office or 5. Disqualification to hold office is annexed upon conviction, there is no felony of misdemeanor.

Kevin Christopher Murphy
Kevin Christopher Murphy answered on Dec 3, 2019

Your question does not make sense and you've indicated that you're represented by an attorney so no other lawyers can ethically provide legal advice absent your legal counsel's authorization/presence. Talk to your attorney and get him to provide answers in writing if you feel... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: In the state of CA are immediate family members allowed to work for the same police force and day?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Nov 14, 2019

more info needed.

not sure it would be so much of a law, but rather a policy issue of a county.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Hi, EDD has assessed an overpayment and sent me Notice of Overpayment. Will they press criminal charges against me?

Will they charge me with fraud if I agree to pay the overpayment?

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Oct 30, 2019

It is not likely that criminal charges would be brought if you agree to repay the money. Nonetheless, because criminal charges are possible it would be wise to consult with a criminal defense attorney before approaching the EDD. Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: If I am 17 and have a boyfriend who is 19, is it illegal for us to date in the state of California?
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Oct 29, 2019

It is not illegal to date just because you are under 18. However, if you and your boyfriend have a sexual relationship, he could be charged with statutory rape because you are under the age of consent. The law says a female under the age of 18 is incapable of consenting to sex, so be safe and... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: All jurors awaiting in the front of courtroom. District Attorneys witnesses were there as well. Witnesses kept making

Loud negative insulting statements about the case, the DA was there during these outbursts then she went inside court while these comments intimidated anyone in their presents others (witnesse's friend) came to speak to these witnesses about the case also.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 16, 2019

more info needed

discuss this with your lawyer who has all the may be grounds for a Mistrial?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Can the Labor Commissioner indefinitely delay issuing Berman Hearing decisions? It’s over 90 days since the hearing.
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Oct 3, 2019

Indefinitely, no. Can it delay it for a long time? Yes. This is a government entity that is overworked and understaffed. Patience is going to be required to get through this process. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.