Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: If I am 17 and have a boyfriend who is 19, is it illegal for us to date in the state of California?
Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Oct 29, 2019

It is not illegal to date just because you are under 18. However, if you and your boyfriend have a sexual relationship, he could be charged with statutory rape because you are under the age of consent. The law says a female under the age of 18 is incapable of consenting to sex, so be safe and... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: All jurors awaiting in the front of courtroom. District Attorneys witnesses were there as well. Witnesses kept making

Loud negative insulting statements about the case, the DA was there during these outbursts then she went inside court while these comments intimidated anyone in their presents others (witnesse's friend) came to speak to these witnesses about the case also.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Oct 16, 2019

more info needed

discuss this with your lawyer who has all the may be grounds for a Mistrial?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Can the Labor Commissioner indefinitely delay issuing Berman Hearing decisions? It’s over 90 days since the hearing.
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Oct 3, 2019

Indefinitely, no. Can it delay it for a long time? Yes. This is a government entity that is overworked and understaffed. Patience is going to be required to get through this process. Good luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Is it better to petition for my marijuana conviction to be dropped before trying to get my wobbler reduced? Or together?

I figure I should get the marijuana conviction dropped before asking to have the felony I was on probation for reduced; but is it possible to do them at the same time? I don’t live in the same town and I already drove there to pay off fines and get paperwork.

Rhonda Mae Hixon
Rhonda Mae Hixon answered on Sep 26, 2019

You can file the forms for the reduction and dismissal of the a marijuana conviction and a felony in another case (if I understand you) before or

at the same time, (it doesn't matter)- but you would use two different forms. The marijuana is a Petition under 11361.8 H&S,...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Gov & Administrative Law and Personal Injury for California on
Q: Can I file a claim with the state?

I was in an accident. A disabled car was in the fast lane with no lights, no hazards, or flares and I hit the car going 65mph. The disabled car was in an accident earlier that day and was reported to highway patrol but was never towed out of the fast lane. My question is, who is responsible?

William John Light
William John Light answered on Aug 29, 2019

The state is not responsible. The owner of the car and the driver are responsible. Potentially the person who performed maintenance on the vehicle is that is the reason it was disabled. If none of that proves fruitful, I hope you carried UM insurance. Contact a PI attorney to discuss your... Read more »

View More Answers

Q: how do i appeal the state hearing division decision for a rehearing?

In Dec., 2018 i filed a request for hearing on food stamp benefits that were issued to me from 2007-2013 on a EBT card that i never had. Their paperwork confirms my first EBT card was issued in 2014. Their Case Comment Summary from my workers also confirms that no NOA was ever mailed to me through... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Aug 27, 2019

You should contact the San Mateo County Bar Association and request a referral to a lawyer who can help you with this issue. Make sure you keep all the evidence you have and take it to a lawyer to see if s/he can be of any assistance to you. I advise you to prepare a chronological story of what... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Gov & Administrative Law, Sexual Harassment and Identity Theft for California on
Q: I have a card debt with $35,000 used with me and my boyfriend. he didn't have a social so I let him use and pay me back

But apparently, he did not. He just keep talking he will pay me back, he will work hard, but nothing paid back. I let him use my credit card for daily life, but he used for sports betting without my consent. He kept promised me he won't do it again but it is still happening and he even do... Read more »

Peter Maurice Lively
Peter Maurice Lively answered on Aug 7, 2019

I'm sorry for your circumstances which sound stressful and frustrating, you are certainly not alone.

You could spend a lot of time energy and money obtaining a judgment and trying to collect the judgment from someone without succeeding.

You might be eligible for a bankruptcy...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: DA says dont know what happend but we lost your case ? victim of violent crime sue for failure due process on DA?

dept of consumer affairs and Board of dentistry investigated an man for unlicensed unauth. practice of dentistry since they only enforce Licencees they turned it over to San mateos DA office for criminal prosecution...... they had enough evidence, expert testimony, victim, text messages and ect.... Read more »

William John Light
William John Light answered on Jul 29, 2019

The Dept of Consumer Affairs and Board of Dentistry have no obligation to refer a case for criminal prosecution or to advise you of the statute of limitations for a civil case. Speak to some attorneys about your case to confirm that the statute of limitations has, n fact, run.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Environmental and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Stop code enforcement from hitting returnees with violations with hefty fines in paradise, CA. can anything be done?

Some of us are starting to receive violation notices from the city of paradise for code violations that are 2 months old along with the hefty fines for each. We were told that we would fall under a disaster ordinance upon return and I believe for up to 18 months. Now it is said only 180 days. the... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Jul 26, 2019


You need to get familiar with the City's Municipal Code right away. You and the others like you should appeal every citation you get. Get yourselves a good civil rights lawyer who can represent you in every citation case.

Find yourself a good lawyer who...
Read more »

Q: Type of attorney for harmful rx practices of 2 doctors, severe brain injuries by hospitals refusal to care

Permanently disabled prior to incidentd. Severe losses. Cause involves 1 of 2 drs already prosecuted by state of CA medical board, san diego hospital refusal to care, sheriff refusal to report . kidnapped from ER taken by ambulatory delivery to a border naval hospital, refused to treat acute... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jul 14, 2019

More info needed.

for negligence by a doctor or medical providers you would want a med mal atty

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: How many days do they have to do the actual autopsy after death? Shouldn’t it be done at least 48 hours after death?
William John Light
William John Light answered on Jun 9, 2019

Depends. The body might not even be in the coroner's custody withing 48 hours of death.

For an infant, autopsies are supposed to be completed in 24 hours. Government Code § 27491.41.

For all deaths, if the coroner is informed that a a certificate of religious belief was...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: How does this case relate to the recent court case Gamble v. United States?
Kevin Christopher Murphy
Kevin Christopher Murphy answered on May 24, 2019

What case...? The question is incomplete and, therefore, unanswerable.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for California on
Q: Falsely accusation by a co-worker. My Manager and that co-worker are best friend.

I received a falsely accused complaint from a co-worker for pushing and hitting her. The accusation in fact comes right after another co-worker complaint about her best friend (aka her direct supervisor and my supervisor) because the supervisor gave her work to the lower level employee. I belong to... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on May 15, 2019

You need to speak to your union representative right away. These kinds of interpersonal conflicts are very difficult to prevail in given the politics involved and the fact that so many things are subject to interpretation. If the union does not provide you with the assistance you need, you should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Elder Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: Can I be deprived of personal items in a car impounded by police if I am not the registered owner?

I rent a car from an individual. The car was impounded by the Sherriff and I can't get in touch with the owner. I am being denied my personal property: cell phone, passport, work items, and clothes and food even though I can prove ownership of the items. I'm severely affected by not... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on May 7, 2019

more info needed.

obviously you try to get them back in a nice way........if that doesn't work maybe contact politicians.

you may have to retain a lawyer to move the court for the return of your items

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Collections and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 4, 2019

It means the owner of the aircraft cannot fly it without specific pre-approval from the FAA.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for California on
Q: Do you have to get drug tested for all 3 years on probation?

For California San Mateo County

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Apr 29, 2019

more info needed.

everything is controlled by the judges orders or terms and conditions.

you should pose any questions like this to the lawyer who represented you on the case as s/he will understand the sentence.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Legal Malpractice for California on
Q: How do I obtain full disclosure on my case, specifically discovery ?

I’ve never been arrested. I want every detail from both sides from beginning to end. I believe I was kept in the dark about many things.

William John Light
William John Light answered on Mar 26, 2019

Unclear on what type of case this is. After discharge (firing) of your attorney, you are entitled to your file from your attorney, except the attorney work product. The return of the client’s files is covered in RPC 3-700(D)(1) which states:

“A member whose employment has terminated...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for California on
Q: Can a sb 620 be addressed on a Franklin hearing remand??

I was sentenced in 2007,when I was 19 (a youth) I received 7years for attempted murder and 25yrs to life for the gun enhancement. I have to go back for a Franklin remand can I bring up the sb 620 as well??

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Feb 22, 2019

much more info needed.

you should pose this question to your lawyer who has your entire record and all pertinent papers in front of him/her.

if you don't have a lawyer see if the public defender would talk to you and review your factual scenario.

Q: I was convicted of a crime and feel I've been abused by the system what should I do?

Ive been a victim of malicious prosecution. Racial, bias, discriminating acts from judge, DA, Public defender, sheriff's, and a racist jury with 12 white people and 1 Hispanic. Lies under oath, couching of witnesses, who were the same sheriff's that threaten me. Then acted on those... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Feb 8, 2019

Reach out to the ACLU [],

or contact the Innocence Project []

You can copy and paste either link in your browser....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California on
Q: What options do I have to get The College Board to honor a legal name change for student records?

I am aware of FERPA, and that their protections generally apply to College Board records. I also know that I can't sue, only file a complaint with the Dept of Education, under FERPA. Is there any other legal option available to me? They are claiming student records more than 4 years old cannot... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 29, 2019

Why not simply provide the colleges to which you are applying a copy of any court order showing your legal name change, which should state the old name and the new name, when providing them a copy of old documents and records? The College Board policy seems reasonable enough so that it does not... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.