Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Oregon Communications Law Questions & Answers

Q: If a therapy practice as a whole will not accept registered sex offenders as clients. Do they need to make this known?

If a therapy practice has a policy that they do not see registered sex offenders as clients,

Should this information be made available to you, on their website, or as a screening question?

It wasn't made available to a friend of mine and he started therapy and was seen for 9... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 24, 2019

I'm unaware of it. The practice should have asked. He can file a complaint with the licensing board but I dont see anything. However he should contact a member of the State of Washington Trial Lawyers Assn/Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Communications Law and Federal Crimes for Oregon on

Q: Is it legal to have audio surveillance at a restaurant?

The restaurant I work at installed surveillance cameras a few months ago. I just found out it also has audio surveillance. We were not informed they could listen to us. Is that legal?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Jan 18, 2019

If everyone was told they were recording yes, otherwise it is illegal to recover conversations in Oregon without the consent of all parties, implied or otherwise.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Communications Law and Internet Law for Oregon on

Q: With regard to Or. Rev. Stat. § 659.805 does this only pertain to previous employees or any applicant?

I'm a member of a Facebook group intended to connect job seekers and job providers and some recruiters are discussing creating a blacklist and this seems illegal at worst and just a petty move at best. The statute specifically states previously discharged employees, but can this be applied to an... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Apr 5, 2018

I would say it likely does not apply to your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support, Communications Law and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on

Q: Can I do anything legally to a 27 yr old trying to talk to my 18 yr old daughter?

There is a 27 yr old trying to e-mail to my daughter, who just turned 18, I watch her e-mail account. I've already told him once not to talk to her, but he's attempted to get in contact with her again now that she's turned 18. She's adolescent and wants to have a friendship with him. I believe him... Read more »

Joanne Reisman answered on Apr 3, 2018

Well she is legally an adult so you can't control who she talks to directly but if she is living in your house and you are supporting her you can lay down your house rules. However that might mean asking her to move out if she won't comply and I don't think that is the end result you want. Maybe... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Communications Law for Oregon on

Q: Is it legal to put a GPS tracker in your abusive husband's car?

I have filed for a divorce, but he is still living here, and has been drinking heavily. I wanted to make sure I knew when he had been to a liquor store, so I could know if I needed to leave with my kids before he got home. He is hitting the liquor store pretty much every day, and has even been... Read more »

Joanne Reisman answered on Mar 31, 2018

If you own the car you can put a tracking device on it. If the car is in your husband's name only then you may have problems. I am not sure what the law is about this but I suspect there is something that prevents you from using electronic devises to spy on people outside your own property lines.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Communications Law and Entertainment / Sports for Oregon on

Q: Are we legally allowed to use names/addresses from old letters in new published works?

We purchased a stack of old letters (perhaps 70 years old), and would like to use them as the basis for a book/podcast/video series/photo gallery.

Is there any reason we couldn't use or sell works that contain the names/addresses/content/etc. or photos of the actual items? Are we allowed... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Feb 6, 2018

This should not be an issue as to copyright, as addresses would not in this format likely be copyright-able.

Could be an issue as to personality rights though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.