Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Lemon Law for Michigan on
Q: Vehicle under warranty but Chrysler cannot fix the problem due to discontinued part. what do i do?

Chrysler service has had my car for 9mo, & have been taking it in for over a year now. They've tried everything but the discontinued part, because it cannot be sourced. now they are just giving me my car back without doing a buy back or anything. I believe the car would be considered a... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Jul 29, 2021

Knowing the year/make/model of your vehicle would be helpful.

The first thing you should do is send a final repair letter. Immediately. A lawyer can do that for you. However, Michigan’s Lemon Law, like most other States, requires the consumer to provide the auto manufacturer with one...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: I have a credit card debt. Credit card company is taking me to court. I am 72. My job ends in 30 days. What options?

The credit card company sent debt to collections. Collections is suing me. The income I receive ends in 30 days. Then only $1700 in Social Security. Advice?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jul 27, 2021

You could consult with a bankruptcy attorney; they may say you are "judgment proof" and explain to you what that means for your future.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Michigan on
Q: In Mi, My friends husband, co-signed for a 2014 car. The original purchaser, stopped paying, so co-signer took car back

Co-signer has passed away, May 10, 2021. Wife came to me, discussing financial issues, asked me if I wanted to purchase car. I gave her $500.00 as a downpayment, wrote up a sales agreement, we both signed. It stated the money paid, amt due for complete pay-off, July 1st, 2021.

She phones me... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jun 26, 2021

Yes, quite likely, but against your friend. Your first priority should be to determine who actually owns the car - whose name is on the title? Because if it's the person who the husband co-signed for, that person could claim the car stolen. OR, the bank or whomever made the original loan could... Read more »

Q: Good Afternoon, Recently got denied a fireworks license renewal. Been there since 2012.

Need to be open asap. Looking for a lawyer familiar with the NFPA 1124 and With the Michigan and the Bureau of Fire Services

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on May 5, 2021

Contact an attorney about this.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: I purchased a vehicle from a dealer in FL. Upon arrival here in MI it was discovered to be essentially a wreck.

Can I sue them in MI for fraudulent misrepresentation, which is where the entire transaction occurred? Or will I need to go to FL to do it?

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on May 3, 2021

That depends on a number of factors, you should contact an attorney directly.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury and Products Liability for Michigan on
Q: I never signed a contract for coverage in Alabama, but, funds were removed from my account for coverage. Is this lega?
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on Apr 21, 2021

Without a more specific question and subject matter it's really hard to say, but possibly and possibly not.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: Is a repairman allowed to take pictures inside my home?

Repairman left my dryer torn apart and refuses to fix it. He called me several horrific names and then hung up on me. I am a female veteran and he made it clear he doesn’t like that fact.

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on Apr 7, 2021

Reads as though there is more going on than just the repair person taking photos inside your house. It is possible there is an invasion of privacy issue here, but it might depend on what was photographed and/or whether or not the contract says anything about photographs.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: Do I still need to file an answer if I settled the debt?

I was sued for debt and received a summons and complaint. I settled with them and sent them a cashier's check certified mail after getting the settlement offer via email. They got it and say they have filed a "stop service" and that I will get something in the mail in 25-30 days from... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Apr 7, 2021

You can certainly check with the court to see what's been submitted. Otherwise, your answer could simply be "settled by agreement on such-and such a date".

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I get sued again if I accept this debt settlement offer?

The debt settlement letter states "this letter will confirm acceptance on behalf of the above referenced current creditor the sum of [dollar amount] as settlement of the subject account" (where dollar amount is the agreed to amount and is less than the full amount owed) and then goes on... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 29, 2021

Sounds like it. The "settled" verbiage they are requesting actually protects them in a way; it acknowledges that you haven't paid the full amount owed, so they can properly tax you on the difference by sending you a 1099, which will effectively be income to you. Back in the day,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: Hello. I'm in Michigan and I was wondering if my only car can be seized if there is a judgment against me.

My husband and I have several judgments against us for credit card debt. Two creditors have put liens on our house (which we own) and three have garnished our state tax returns. One garnished one of our bank accounts. I cannot pay these debts back at the current time, especially now, and my main... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 12, 2021

It is perhaps beyond time that you consult with a bankruptcy attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Animal / Dog Law for Michigan on
Q: Dog breeder sold us an akc certified dog with a terminal genetic defect can we take to small claims?

Puppy is only 3 months old, verified by two veterinarians it’s genetic (renal dysplasia) life expectancy is 1 year. The dog breeder is denying it saying it isn’t possible

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on Feb 25, 2021

From a practical standpoint, you might try working it out with the breeder. From a legal standpoint you can likley sue in small claims and at least be heard, that is the purpose of small claims, the result of the hearing may or may not be better.

It might be helpful to know.Pets have long...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Michigan on
Q: My account was hacked then banned and the company who runs the service refuses to help, should I seek legal action?

I am not sure if i should get in contact with a lawyer about this issue due to not knowing if legal compensation is possible but i want to exhaust all my options. in short I have an account with the company Activison-blizzard (the people behind games like Call of Duty) this account was compromised... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 11, 2021

What damages have you suffered? Has someone used this data against you? Has someone stolen money? Without actual damages, it's going to be tough finding a lawyer to do much more. I'm not sure how you'd be able to show them being complicit in data theft, let alone fraud, if the breach... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Small Claims for Michigan on
Q: Can I create custom AUDI emblems/badges out of gold/silver for my own vehicle and or to make as a product for retail?

Im an AUDI enthusiast and also a custom jewelry designer and fabricator with a small LLC. Ive wanted to replace the metal AUDI symbol and vehicle badges (S4) that are in various locations on the vehicle with identical replicas in diamond encrusted gold/silver, but understand there are probably many... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Jan 11, 2021

You can do it for yourself on your own vehicle, but you wouldn't be able to offer them for sale to others due to trademark issues. If you were to sell them at retail, you would need to obtain a license from Audi, otherwise you could be sued for trademark infringement.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Michigan on
Q: Are there any lawyers in the southeast Michigan area that specialize in FDCPA?

I see several on here, but i can't seem to get one to return my phone calls or email. If you specialize in going after debt collectors for violating the FDCPA or know of one located in that area, can you please leave a working phone or email i can reach them or you by? I would greatly appreciate it.

David Soble
David Soble answered on Jan 10, 2021

Probably the best thing to do is to contact the lawyer's office and request a set calendar time to speak with the attorney. This way you won't be frustrated with 'phone tag."

Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Michigan on
Q: Is it safe to pay a debt collector in full?

This is the second debt collector I'm dealing with. The first debt collector i was dealing with couldn't provide all of the information i requested in my validation request letter, so they passed it to another debt collector. People keep telling me that paying a debt collector is a very... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Jan 6, 2021

You are right to be wary. Some lawyers will give you a free consultation and review these validation letters and responses to see if you have a potential legal action. If your goal is to pay the debt and not be hounded by additional debt collectors I would advise you to consult with a FDCPA lawyer... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Michigan on
Q: I've been contacted by a law firm to collect a debt i was unaware of until another debt collector threatened to sue me??

I never received a bill from the original creditor. The first letter i got from the debt collector was them threatening to sue me, so i sent 2 letters requesting validation. The first time, they didn't provide all of the information i asked for. The second time, they didn't respond and i... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Jan 4, 2021

You could call the law firms for both debt collections, and ask them who the original creditor and the original account number was for each. You could also send them a letter asking the same questions. Keep in mind that when you talk to them on the phone, they will be recording the phone call. You... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Q: Real estate question. Hello all. Can I sue my mortgage lender?

I was buying a house and closer decided to end the deal due to lender not meeting closing date. I know meeting closing date is not guaranteed but every time I try to contact them they never called back. When I was finally able to contact them (two day before my closing date) they said they needed... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 26, 2020

Are you using a Realtor? That person is probably the first person you should (or should have been) in contact with. Generally, since the mortgage lender is not a part of the contract you made with the seller, it would be hard to assign liability to them.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: Is there recourse when I am asked to leave an establishment, when falsely accused of making a female server uncomfortab

I have lived in a small Detroit suburb for 20 years and recently a female server, at a bar I was dining, informed her manager and staff that I made her feel uncomfortable. I was asked to leave by another staff member. So I asked for the night manager whom reaffirmed the servers opinion and asked... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 6, 2020

If you want to prevent this from becoming a bigger and more known issue, the best thing you could do is let it be and not go back to this establishment. It doesn't matter what other business owners say about you; what matters is that a server, her manager(s), and the owner of this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts and Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I sue this company under what tort?

I had a verbal agreement (recorded) with a pest control company to remove a wasp nest with ONLY a non residual contact aerosol pesticide which would be used to kill the wasps quickly in their nest then the nest would be put in a bag and pulled down. I was assured that the chemical used would not... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Sep 1, 2020

You want to know if you have a meritorious case. A lawyer will require a lot more information to answer this question. The biggest problem with your potential case is the verbal contract. Your recording may or may not be admissible in court based on multiple factors. If it's not admissible,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan on
Q: I stayed in a hotel for 118 days this year that was shut down by the fire marshal because they didn’t replace a panel

Saying it would just be a couple days all they had to do was replace a panel they forgot to but when the fire marshal returned when the panel was replaced he did a fuller inspection and found the dryer was so full of lint it was actually all the way up in the ceiling going about 40 feet back. This... Read more »

Trent Harris
Trent Harris answered on Aug 28, 2020

Dear Davisburg,

Your question references a condition at the property which could've, but in actuality did not adversely affect you. In the eyes of the law, you lack standing to sue, because you have not suffered a particularized injury traceable to the hotel's conduct. Sure, you...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.