Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Social Security Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Social Security for Alabama on
Q: I got pulled over for improper lane change they searched my car and found drugs in a cigarette pack that wasn't mine.

I knew they left there cigarettes after I dropped them off I was going to return them but I didn't know they had drugs in them I went to jail and charged. If they sign an affidavit for me will the charge be dropped and what will happen to them?

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Alabama on
Q: My nephew is paralyzed from a stroke - no assets or insurance. Can an attorney expedite SSD and Medicare benefits?

He is 50 with a 15 year old. Has not been employed for a couple of years. Brook wood is trying to move him as soon as they can find a facility that will take him without insurance, may even be out of state. He is not getting the physical therapy he needs.

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
answered on May 17, 2021

The short answer is yes. An attorney can gather the medical evidence and send it all in at the start. I have seen this happen with a paralyzed client in the past. If you have clear evidence, it can go very quickly. Mine took less than a month. I am not taking clients, but I am sure you can find a... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Alabama on
Q: Do adult dependents qualify for parent's social security when the parent retires?
Emmett B. Irwin
Emmett B. Irwin
answered on Jun 18, 2020

Possibly, but I am only aware of Disabled Adult Child (DAC) benefits - if the adult dependent has been disabled since prior to age 22, then the adult dependent can get SSA benefits from the parent's work record. But only if the parent is deceased, disabled, or is collecting SSA retirement benefits.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Social Security for Alabama on
Q: Can you file for unemployment if your SSDI is ending?

I know the 2 things are basically opposite things but.

My SSDI ends next month.

I will have no income at that point.

While I'm probably technically not disabled anymore. I am immunocompromised which was a main factor in my SSDI decision originally. Now with coronavirus,... Read more »

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Apr 28, 2020

Yes, it is possible to claim both SSDI and unemployment insurance. That being said, qualifications for each of these two programs differ greatly. Social Security disability benefits provide financial support to those who are unable to work. Unemployment provides temporary payments to those who lost... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security and Bankruptcy for Alabama on
Q: I got denied disability and need a financial aid lawyer to help with my appeal
Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan
answered on Sep 30, 2019

You should search for legal aid in Alabama, and see what is available close to you. If you don't qualify, keep in mind that most attorneys will only charge you if successful in finding you disabled.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Alabama on
Q: How can I file for a Birth certificate and Social Security number?

I was born at home and never got a birth certificate or social security number, I was wondering how I could get it?

Because I am pregnant and can’t get Medicaid without it

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on May 1, 2019

Start with the birth certificate. It would help if you can get any records of your first hospitalization, first medical care, even a baptismal certificate. Then you contact the office in Alabama that handles birth certificates. They hopefully have guidance. Go to the Social Security office. They... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Social Security for Alabama on
Q: The father of my child draws disability and I'm a stay at home mother. Can our daughter get a check? We are not married.
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Nov 3, 2017

Possibly. You should apply for benefits at with Social Security

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.