Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: I own a condo unit in the state of Hawaii. Someone posted a notice to vacate on the door across from my unit.

I find it an eyesore. Is the posting of such a notice a violation of the CC&RS and is it illegal for me to remove it.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can the board make a decision on budget without a general all owners meeting?

No general meeting of owners in three years. Dues were just raised by $88/month on top of $586.

0 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: Our neighbor filled in dirt against our wall, which is 1" into our property. He can now look easily over the wall.

What can I do and is there a time limit? He just sold his house and it's contingent.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: Have there been any cases before the courts in Hawai involving pickleball playing on tennis courts in an AOAO
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Mar 23, 2022

Interesting question! While there are no reported appellate decisions directly on point, there are appellate opinions that speak to use and/or alteration of common elements and/or limited common elements in a condominium regime. For example, take a look at AOAO v. Bowers, 125 Hawai'i 242 (ICA... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: Other reasons a member of an Association needs to solicit proxies if there is no ELECTION at the Annual Meeting?

Hawaii State Statutes 514B

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Feb 12, 2022

In order to answer this accurately, it would be best to review the by-laws, along with the agenda for the meeting to determine what, if anything, was being voted on and to determine when a proxy may be properly used.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Contracts for Hawaii on
Q: Do I need to go over the disclosure after sending in my recission notice, which has been received by the timeshare

Contacted by rep. Says needs to go over disclosure to speed up transfer of funds. Downpayment

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds answered on Feb 12, 2022

Aloha, if your rescission was submitted in a timely manner, that effectively ends your contractual obligation with the seller. Assuming this is so, I am uncertain why they would require you to go over disclosures. Feel free to reach out to me should you need further assistance.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: My auntie defaulted on her mortgage and have not paid for the past 10 years while a judicial foreclosure case is ongoing

The case recently got dismissed due to statute of limitations, is this a good thing? Is it okay for her to not pay anything while the case was ongoing? Is she off the hook now since the case got dismissed?

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Feb 25, 2021

To determine your aunt's situation she needs to at least consult with an experienced HI mortgage foreclosure defense attorney to evaluate the situation. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE! YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO AN ATTORNEY WHO IS LICENSED IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE. This is merely suggestions for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii on
Q: My husbands ex fiancé won’t sign the quit claim deed for the house....

She left him a year after they purchased the house. She moved off island. She has never paid the mortgage or anything. He and I have been together for 8 years now, living in the house. He and I have a child together and are married. If anything were to happen to him or me, we want to make sure our... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jan 2, 2021

If you can’t get her to agree to some kind of voluntary settlement then you will need to bring a quiet title lawsuit against her.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: My client who owns a home in the County of Hawaii passed away. The deed is only in his name and his wife wants to sell.

How do we get authority to sell and do we need to go through probate if there is not a will in place?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 11, 2020

A Hawaii attorney could best advise, but your post remains open for four weeks. You may want to repost this and add the categories Probate and Estate Planning. There's no guarantee that every question is picked up, but you could have better chances of a response with those additional... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii on
Q: Who has legal rights to my late dads estate. Me as I'm his only legal daughter or my illegitimate sister?

My name is Carol im from the Philippines I am a US citizen as my dad had petitioned me to come to Hawaii before he had died. During his last days he said that he was in the US army and he had bought and paid for a home for my mom and me on the island of Hawaii. He told me to come and claim the home... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Oct 10, 2020

Check for a Probate Action in both the County where he died and where the property lies. If no Probated Will then the Heirs At Law own the property, which should include you. You probably need an attorney to establish your title, and a Partition Sale may be necessary.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Hawaii on
Q: I inherited 50% of a property as tenant in common 6 years ago. I never lived there. Do I owe money to current occupant?

Sibling was executor of our mothers' estate and moved his family in immediately after she died. I never received a deed. I lived out of state with my husband at the time. There is no tenants agreement. Sibling unable to buy me out at that time. I did not ask for compensation for him and his... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 5, 2019

If you did not sign the note for the current debt, then you are not personally liable on it. If you did not sign the mortgage that secures the current debt, then your share of the property is not liable for the current debt either.

If your sibling insists that you pay for half of the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: Stated in my lease, I can break without penalty if I find mold and I found black mold... how do I terminate

I also had requested a mold test which was denied and asked for mold remediation of the shower which took months. I’ve suffered now from sinus issues, allergies, esophagitis and had to pay to an ent out of pocket and am worried about all of the toxic spores we’ve now been exposed to. How do I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 10, 2019

In terms of the personal injury aspect of your question, you'll have to see if you could arrange a free initial consult with a Hawaii personal injury attorney who could review your records and what information is available on the mold. The problem with these types of cases is that establishing... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Hawaii on
Q: my great great uncles deceased, owned some land on the north shore of Oahu. Where and how can I show documents.

I have information birth death marriage certificates to prove proper identity. Is it legal without documents for someone else to sell, own or divide land or even lease it without title.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 24, 2019

Yes. As a matter of fact I have a bridge in New York City I would like to sell you.

On a more serious note, you need to find a Hawaii probate attorney to help you probate your uncle’s estate.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: How often can a landlord access a tenants home before it's considered abusing their rights to enter?

I've been living in the residence for 9 mo and the owner has decided to sell. I have 3 months left on my contract and the owner all ready has 3 private viewings and an open house planned this week. In addition, the real estate agent hired by the homeowner plans on having an open house every... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 8, 2019

Reading between the lines of this question it appears clear that you were told upfront that the owner was going to sell the house they rented to you--because your lease has a clause in it that specifically authorizes the owner to show the place to prospective buyers. Turning to the several... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: Can an appeal be reversed and how many days do I have for a writ? Can the appeal be dismissed? Case be retried?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 20, 2019

You have stated no operative facts and asked four very different questions--all of which collectively might require a lawyer several hours to figure out and try to respond. No thanks.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can I legally charge a finders fee to help someone claim an escheat check?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 7, 2019

I would not try to do that unless you are a lawyer or otherwise have financial services credentials or debt collection credentials issued by Hawaii.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: Is it valid for parents to donate their only property ie house and lot to only 1 child excluding other children?

The parents have property in another country. It is the only property in their name and they donated it to 1 child excluded the others. Is this valid in Hawaii laws?

Robin R. Gregory
Robin R. Gregory answered on Mar 14, 2019

If the real property is in another country, the real property is probably governed by the laws of that country. Owners of property can generally give or sell real property to anyone they want. If it is a case of a child using "undue influence" to "force" parents to give... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Patents (Intellectual Property) and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: I found a Land Patent or Land grant given to my 4th Great Grandpa in 1861 and its signed by Abraham Lincoln how can i cl

How can I claim it?

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Dec 8, 2017

Although we now associate the word patent with the world of inventions as those with a patent given by a government can exclude others from making, using, selling, or offering to sell something covered by the patent rights -- the term patent was used more broadly in earlier times.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: What US law (in 21006 or 2007) gave timeshare resorts the right to let non-owners pay to use units ?

And, if you can give me the law, how can I get access to read it?

Michael Hales
Michael Hales answered on Nov 29, 2017

This right is typically granted by the resort's bylaws and not through legislation. If a room is not being used, they will allow others to use it in an effort to avoid waste. Does that answer your question?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.