Arizona Libel & Slander Questions & Answers

Q: How much would it cost me to send a seize and deciest notice to someone?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Oct 17, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
You could contact several Arizona attorneys in your area and ask them about their fees to draft a cease and desist letter.

Tim Akpinar

Q: Slandering my name on social media. Going through a child custody case.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on May 17, 2018
Randi Sirlin's answer
The Father is not being very smart. The Court will not look kindly at his behavior. If I were you, I would be taking pictures of all social media that disparages you and making sure, if your case goes to court, that the judge sees the pictures.

I advise my own clients to stop using any social media while I represent them.

If you need further assistance, I recommend contacting an experienced family law attorney.

Q: What are the AZ statutes for defamation libel and and slander for the employee

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Arizona on
Answered on Jun 22, 2017
Peter Munsing's answer
libel and slander for employees aren't different than from others; however you may have other forms of claims and I would suggest you contact a member of the Az Trial Lawyers Assn that handles employment issues--they represent employees and give free consultations.

Q: My coworkers name was printed in the local paper re: her past due sewer bill, along with many others' is this legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Mar 2, 2017
Tevis Steven Reich's answer
If she hasn't paid the bill, then it is likely legal. Truth is always a defense to any libel or slander claim. There is also a First Amendment "freedom of speech" issue. You may want to speak with a local attorney to see if there are other facts and circumstances that would make the publication unwarranted or trigger a legal cause of action.

Q: Q: university employe makes phony email "false" reply to me and her boss to incriminate me.the true is on email servers.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Jan 21, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
Yes. You can secure the evidence with a court order or maybe a third party subpoena. Best advice is to get a lawyer since it can be technical to figure all this out.

Q: If my sister-in-law lent her car to her granddaughter to drive in AZ. and my sister-in-law had me sign a papersaying

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Dec 19, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Well, you signed so that her grandaughter could drive the car, so it's binding on you. Yes, you can give her a notice to quit for nonpayment, and she can ask you to pay for the car now.Either way you will be paying her.

Q: Is it legal to place a large sign on your property stating so and so is a child abuser with their picture if it is true?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Jan 25, 2016
Jay Hall's answer
Even if you could *prove* the truth, do you really want to deal with the potential litigation? There are several different theories of liability that could land you in court and, even if you're successful, it could cost you tens of thousands of dollars to defend the lawsuit.

Q: The hospital psycologist made a false written accusation about me in my husbands medical records

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Dec 27, 2015
Jay Hall's answer
It depends what was said. It is unlikely that this was defamatory, but you should consult with a litigation attorney to discuss the situation in greater detail.

Q: My question , is it illegal in the state of Arizona to post about a woman who is illegally working as a prostitute

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Nov 9, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
While truth is normally a defense to a defamation lawsuit, you would have to be able to prove these things were true, should she to sue you.

Q: Someone's slandering me all over social media. I used to drive their 18 Wheeler.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Answered on Sep 22, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Get off the internet and set up an appointment with a local attorney who handles defamation cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.