Entertainment / Sports Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Entertainment / Sports Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: Am I allowed to use a verbally spoken speech or spoken poetry in my music?

I'm currently working on a soundtrack and considering using a verbally spoken speech.

Evelyn Suero
Evelyn Suero answered on May 12, 2020

If the speech or poetry does not belong to you, then you will need to obtain permission/license from the copyright owner in order to incorporate this intellectual property into your soundtrack.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Louisiana on
Q: Will I run into trademark copyright issues by including "there's no place like home" in my event slogan?

I am helping host an event and we would like to use the slogan: "There's no place like home, and no taste like gumbo".

Furthermore, would the slogan: "There's no taste like gumbo", paired with a yellow brick road and red shoes for an event logo, cause any problems?

Bill Hulsey
Bill Hulsey answered on May 1, 2020

Probably not

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Public Benefits for Florida on
Q: Does our local Chamber of Commerce own our communities local "Pageant"?

We have a pageant that has been in our community for over 30 years! Its never been filed as an official entity or organization. It has always been ran by different volunteers within the community. I know for several years our local Chamber sponsored the pageant. Then there was a issue with... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Apr 1, 2020

You definitely need to consult with an attorney.

Anybody can own a pageant and call it anyway they want.

The question is whether it is exclusive, and if what you do, your work, is owned by somebody else.

Check if they ever signed or got a contract from somebody.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for Florida on
Q: can I use the name Ben Hur for a non profit "Art" organisation, for example "Ben Hur Culture Club"?

To represent works of filmmaker and art creators

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Apr 1, 2020

Better not.

check if somebody, movie company, has any rights to it.

they may decide not to do anything, as in fanclub scenarios, but that does not mean they do not own the rights


1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Child Custody and Entertainment / Sports for Michigan on
Q: We are looking to create a will or difference between survivor right vs. will..which is better

We have two children and need to appoint guardianship in the event of our death, as well as distribute our life insurance properly.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Mar 27, 2020

It sounds like you are a married couple and your plan of distribution at the first death is "survivor takes all". That being the case, utilizing death beneficiary designations or joint tenancy with survivorship title holding is effective to vest ownership in those assets in the survivor.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports for Michigan on
Q: Am I entitled for a refund?

I booked a birthday party . The party is suppose to be on Sunday March 22nd . I had to put down a non-refundable fee of $100. Now with the state emergency of the COVID-19 situation I had to cancel the event . Parents do not feel safe to bring their children in this kind of environment where... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Mar 16, 2020

Everyone is feeling your pain. This is new territory for everyone. Under current orders, that business cannot operate. I believe sound business practice would be for them to give you back your $100. However, I'm unsure if they are required to do so. They may well take the position that this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for Indiana on
Q: Is it against copyright laws to have a natural disaster destroy Disney World in a book that I’m writing?

What I want to know is if they can sue me just for briefly mentioning in the book that the park has been destroyed.

Tania Maria Williams
Tania Maria Williams answered on Mar 10, 2020

It wouldn't technically be copyright infringement, but please be advised that Disney is VERY litigious and aggressively protects all their intellectual property including their name.

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Gaming and Trademark on
Q: We are indie game developer from Egypt, we have issue with HASBRO the holder of Monopoly trademark?


we little startup game developers located in Egypt we had android app on Google Play Called "MONOPOLY LITE" and it is different from Monopoly.

Hesbro lawyer reported copyright MONOPOLY, US, 0326723

Google Play Destroyed our startup business for this claim... Read more »

Robyn T. Williams
Robyn T. Williams answered on Feb 22, 2020

It sounds like Hasbro reported you for trademark infringement. The answer to your question requires review of all of the facts. Email me at rwilliams@devlinlawfirm.com to set up a call to discuss.

Robyn T. Williams, Esq.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports on
Q: I am a singer and songwriter, I have a recorded song I would like to release. However, Its become complicated.

I perform cabaret, but record my own songs outside. The engineer and DJ hired to work for me in my cabaret performance are the same persons I used to produce the beat. I would like to release my music but my music is being held by my DJ. He does not want to give me my vocals nor sign over the... Read more »

Robyn T. Williams
Robyn T. Williams answered on Feb 15, 2020

The answer to your question may lie in any agreement between the parties before working on the song. The engineer and DJ were "hired to work" for you in your cabaret performances. If a similar agreement was in place for the production of the song - also known as a work for hire agreement... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: How can I find out if someone has power of attorney over me?
Mit Winter
Mit Winter answered on Feb 14, 2020

A power of attorney is a document that allows you to appoint a person or entity to oversee and manage your affairs. In order for a power of attorney to be legally binding, in most states you must sign and have notarized an original power of attorney document that specifies exactly what powers your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Land Use & Zoning for Florida on
Q: Is it legal for me to ride my dirtbike in my neighborhood?

I have a 125cc dirtbike that cannot go really fast. I live in a pretty laxed equestrian neighborhood. The roads are gravel with no line markings or anything, but isn't rural. I am very confused on the laws in my neighborhood. There is no sign that specifically targets golf carts, but a street... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 7, 2020

The statute doesn't apply; your bike is not an ATV (which would not be "street-legal" but nevertheless can be operated under the enumerated conditions).

For the local laws you would have to ask somebody in your locality..

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Trademark for Georgia on
Q: If my file failed because of abandonment how can I reopen it?
Tania Maria Williams
Tania Maria Williams answered on Feb 3, 2020

There are various reasons that a file will be considered abandoned by the USPTO. If the file is considered abandoned for failure to respond to an Office Action or to file the Statement of Use, an applicant may be able to file a Petition to Revive the application. However, the petition must be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: If I signed a settlement agreement related to an entertainer I worked for, can I sue if the settlement was unfair?
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Jan 6, 2020

No one can really answer this question without learning far more about the situation. Only some general information can be provided here.

If you signed the settlement agreement it will take a very large burden for you to overcome to now try to undo that agreement. There are legal theories...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for California on
Q: Suing a game for fraud or getting back my payments!

Hello! I have played a game(Brutal Age) from 2019-01-31 And have spent $45647 on this game!

This game is simply not as advertised. The first 6 to 10 months were great imo. Been down hill for a while now. I’ve found that Chinese players cheated on this game and buy packs 0.1% what normal... Read more »

Jingzhan Wang
Jingzhan Wang answered on Dec 23, 2019

who is the developer of the game? where it's located?

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Intellectual Property for California on
Q: Can a fake digital copy of the celebrity's voice be used in movies without permission from this celebrity?

Using machine learning technologies, a developer can create a synthesized copy of the celebrity's voice (for instance, like here https://youtu.be/DWK_iYBl8cA).

Can this developer use this fake digital voice in movies, mobile games, for songs, or any other video and sound content... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Dec 3, 2019

Fake or real there needs to be authorization of the person whose voice or image is being used?

Permission is the key.


1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for Arizona on
Q: This question is about how songs are registered

In music, if the agreement is non exclusive where they get the publishing and you retain your writers (for music licensing), how will companies/Ascap etc know when YOU got something placed as opposed to the company you sign this type of deal with? So you get your writers and publishers share when... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Oct 25, 2019

Your question is confusing.

The collection of royalties can be accomplished in several ways. Directly negotiating and collecting with every organization, or using some of the agencies that exist that license and charge for your music, lyrics, etc directly. They then distribute the money....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for Pennsylvania on
Q: I am looking to take money from outside investors and bet on sports based on an algorithm I created. Is it legal in PA?

There is a law in Nevada that allows this type of business model, however I am located in PA and was wondering if there was a way to make this work from here. I would receive money from investors, and place bets strictly off of my algorithm with no input whatsoever from the investors. I would... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 22, 2019

You need to contact a business attorney as you will need paperwork to cover you in regard to claims from the investors. Anyone can give anyone else money to gamble with--that's not a violation. However you need to have disclaimers and it's not something you'd want to do off the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports for Pennsylvania on
Q: If someone breaks my leg and I was suppose to join the NBA can I sue them for what I would have made in the NBA

If I were just drafted into the NBA and someone breaks my leg on purpose, Can I sue them for having ruined my career For the money I would have made had I gone to the NBA?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 9, 2019

If you were drafted, then you have an agent and I am sure an attorney.

You should be discussing all this with them, if you are forthright.

Your agent would lose a lot of money if you do not fulfill your contract. An agent would have ALREADY discussed this issue with you

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning and Entertainment / Sports for New York on
Q: How would you know if there's a will left and not just thrown away?
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz answered on Sep 25, 2019

If you believe there was a Will you would check where the decedent kept important papers, get in touch with their attorney or check with the local Surrogate’s Court to see if it was filed. If there is a safe deposit box many times people make the mistake of putting their Will there.... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.