Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Louisiana Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Child Custody, Criminal Law and Wrongful Death for Louisiana on
Q: My son was shot his mom was killed we're in the hospital do I have to wait for cps to be released
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 31, 2017

You haven't given enough information to advise you. However if you were in any way involved do not give any facts on this website or any public website. Contact a criminal defense attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Personal Injury and Insurance Bad Faith for Louisiana on
Q: Can our policy be cancelled during litigation when all premiums have been paid?

Our church is being sued for a "trip and fall" and our policy has been cancelled for "failure to maintain our building". But no one has come to investigate the situation at all. it is as if the insurance company is taking the plaintiffs word on the matter. I am very frustrated.... Read more »

David Alan Wolf
David Alan Wolf answered on Aug 24, 2017

You should consult with an attorney. It is odd that the insurance company is cancelling the policy for failure to maintain the building. Typically, policies are challenged by the carrier if there is a misrepresentation or a failure to pay the premium. There may be a way to force the insurance... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Landlord - Tenant and Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: My belongings were stolen from a storage I was renting, what type of legal action can I take ?

The storage was responsible for my belongings, I've lost everything I own for me and my three kids. I'm mentally out of it right now. I just lost my mom and brother which is hard enough, now this. I need help as to how to proceed with a law suit.

Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet answered on Jul 16, 2017

First, I am very sorry to hear of your circumstances. My condolences to your family during such a difficult time. As to the storage facility, the lease you signed will govern your available remedies. Most, contain waivers and require you to sign a waiver releasing the facility from liability.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Legal Malpractice for Louisiana on
Q: I recently fired my attorney and I have in writing and on voicemail him stating I get a full refund. Then he charges

$500 for what he says is 2 hours of work. How do I get my money back like he originally stated ?

Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan answered on Apr 26, 2017

A lawyer has the right to charge what is a fair fee. If he promises a full refund, however, you have the right to enforce that promise. If he or you contests what is owed (or what is a fair fee), you have the right to ask the Office of Disciplinary Counsel in Baton Rouge to intervene. They can... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Copyright, Products Liability and Trademark for Louisiana on
Q: Cartoon series called "The Ratman Chronicles". I buy the domain name - "www.ratman-chronicles-toys". Will I get sued?

I'm working to sell children's toys online as an affiliate marketer of I am trying to determine if I'm legally allowed or permitted by The Ratman Chronicles authors/owners to feature the same words as are in the TV series title itself as a part of my domain name I... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 18, 2017

The domain name I believe is OK. Thre rest of it is murky and you'd really need to get some advice to avoid major issues.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Car Accidents for Louisiana on
Q: Does Louisiana law require drivers to carry collision and comprehensive (full coverage) on a leased vehicle?
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr answered on Aug 30, 2016

I am not sure if Louisiana law requires it but I am willing to bet the rental car agency requires it as a condition of renting their $15,000+ vehicles, in case you wreck it. Most people do not have $15,000+ lying around and the rental car agency is within its rights to protect itself and its... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Louisiana on
Q: a car had parked on my property for 2 years what can I do?! Damages to my property and the own is TD Bank what can I do?

the bank know of this and had hired a lawyer to retrieve the vehicle but after 2 years and the lawyer is threaten me of a lawsuit if I don't let them take it! But they owe me storage fees or property damage?! Right?!

Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr answered on Aug 24, 2016

I am assuming you do not have a license as a vehicle storage facility nor a business license so no they do not owe you storage fees, especially if this is your vehicle they are repossessing.

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Legal Malpractice and Libel & Slander for Louisiana on
Q: I was sued ifor over $24,900 for a $5,100 loan (estimate) A vehicle was repossessed for collateral in 2003. Is it legal?

Lawsuit in 2003, 1999 truck repossessed in 2004, default judgement in 2003..Revived judgement in 2012 & wage garnishment after my wife (married 2012) in 2015 for community regime . Claims to not have sold vehicle for collateral .. Is this legal ? I ordered a car fax & vehicle was sold less... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 3, 2016

You need to consult someone who represents consumers. Go to

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: Can I dispute a bill I made a payment on in 2007? The bill is from Maryland College and I live in Louisiana.

I registered for online classes but failed to drop them. Can I still ask them to provide legal documentation which holds me accountable for this debt? I don't recall signing any paperwork.

Samuel John Ford
Samuel John Ford answered on Feb 26, 2016

You likely can still dispute the bill and may have defenses to collection of the alleged debt. If you are being contacted by debt collectors, there are federal and state laws that provide dispute rights and protection from unfair collection practices.

I recommend speaking to a Louisiana...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: Is there any law against being reported deceased by a company and this information disseminated?
Samuel John Ford
Samuel John Ford answered on Feb 26, 2016

You may have a cause of action depending on a few factors:

1) who is reporting the inaccurate information? If the company qualifies as a credit reporting agency, you may have a right of action under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. If not, other laws may protect you.

2) Who was the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: Do I need insurance on classic car only driven to car shows

I owned the car 10 years it has 122 miles on it

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 16, 2015

If your state mandates liability insurance for automobiles, yes, you need such insurance no matter how far you are going to drive it.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: If I'm in a two year contract with my network, who legally owns the phone? Me or the network?
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Aug 21, 2015

The terms of your contract should be reviewed to answer this. A local lawyer can review and advise.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Louisiana on
Q: Can I get out of a Pinnacle security contract that was issued five years ago but the original contract was for two years

I have never signed another contract again but they are telling me Im still obligated and have to continue until I give them written notice with a thirty day advance, but I have never received a letter stating anything that holds me liable to them for any reason

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on May 29, 2015

Read the terms of the contract to be sure. From your question, it sounds like you can get out with 30 days' notice, but read the contract to verify. Be well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.