Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Banking Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Bankruptcy for Michigan on
Q: i filed for bankruptcy in around 2006 and it was appointed. i just changed my daughters bank acct to me the bank took $

i just changed my daughters bank acct and put it in my name to help her save money. the bank took over one thousand dollars said i owed it from a debt. this was covered under my bankrutcy how do i get this money back i have cancer and am in a panic. i have been awareded the bankruptcy in approx... Read more »

Robert Keyes
Robert Keyes answered on Apr 12, 2018

Not quite enough information to answer your questions. You need to ask the bank very specifically about the details of the debt. If your daughter is an adult she needs to contact the bank also. Whose money was taken? Hers or yours. What kind of debt did you have with this bank in your prior case?... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: I’m trying to fight a fraud charge from 2010. My wages are now being garnished. Bankruptcy declared in 2013, any advice?

I was caught in a modeling check scam. I’m not being charged over $23,000 on a $6,000 mistake. I was young and naive then. Not anymore. I know it won’t be dropped but id like to fight it where I pay back the original amount. I declared bankruptcy and now 5 years later the bank comes after me... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Mar 23, 2018

If your wages are being garnished I assume there is a judgment against you. Fighting a judgment is difficult because you are not permitted to challenge the merits of the underlying lawsuit. It's too late. There are some procedural defenses like lack of service and fraud. But most creditor... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: I have to go to court for my husband for an assult. SO WHEN I GO TO COURT TO TELL THEM I DON'T WANT TO PRESS CHARGES

Will the charges be dropped automatically

Andrew Mikos
Andrew Mikos answered on Jan 12, 2018

Not necessarily. The decision to proceed with the case is up to the prosecutor, not the judge, and their decision is influenced by numerous factors, only one of which is the willingness of their "victim" to testify. Without knowing more about the facts of the case, I could not say what... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Consumer Law and Bankruptcy for Michigan on
Q: 100 percent net pay taken from bank account right after payday. What can I do?

I was layed off from a job and I had to take a job for less. 1600 a month differance. I could not afford my discover card payments anymore and im on welfare now. I tried on several occasions to make payment arrangements but the refused. They could not garnish my paycheck because years ago i chose... Read more »

Robert Keyes
Robert Keyes answered on Dec 12, 2017

Sounds like a prime candidate for a bankruptcy.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation and Collections for Michigan on
Q: husband is paying arrears faithfully. can bank account still be levied?
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Nov 29, 2017

Probably. I would need some additional information to accurately answer your question. I am assuming your husband had a repayment agreement with the creditor or debt collector after a judgment was entered in court. Most of the time, creditors will honor that payment plan and not take any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Probate for Michigan on
Q: My farther made me the beneficiary on his bank account, after he passed away my sister wrote out check in his name .

My sister had no permission to do that,what do I do

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Sep 24, 2017

Assuming that your sister had no legal authority to do so, she committed a crime. Most anything you can do - short of confronting her and convincing her to make it right with you - will likely involve her getting into legal trouble. As you are the beneficiary of that account, it's up to you as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for Michigan on
Q: can a bank bounce a check in wrote when I had deposited the funds (check in my account 2 days prior) and the check

had cleared from the payers account. the check I deposited was on the 28th, shows is my father's account as a debit on the 28th and the check I wrote was submitted to my bank on the 30th. they put my account on hold and didn't give me the funds, then instead of holding the check I wrote,... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander answered on Sep 21, 2017

I suggest you get a copy of all your bank transactions from one week prior to the incident to one week after the incident. Then contact a consumer lawyer in your area and provide him/her with a detailed summary of events and a copy of the bank transactions. Essentially, more information is needed... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Contracts for Michigan on
Q: Am i obligated to pay money back without a written contract?

My girlfriend gave me $1500 to buy a new vehicle. We have since broken up and she is demanding the money back. Her name is not on the title and we were living together

Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris answered on Mar 26, 2017

Yes, you are obligated if in fact you agreed to repay. Assuming that the contract was performable within a yesr, the oral contract obligation to pay back the loan is enforceable under Michigan law because it is not in the category of contracts that must be in writing to be enforcable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.