Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Mississippi Banking Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Contracts, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Mississippi on

Q: Hello, I am considering pursuit of any money delagated to lamar county residents for compensation of the salmon and re

Ated projects. The cancer rate, effects on soil, water, animals, and children.

Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 23, 2019

As a starting point, you could contact an environmental attorney or toxic tort attorney in Mississippi and ask if they would give you a free initial consultation. Keep in mind that these types of cases could require considerable budgets. They can involve costly soil and water sampling and analysis... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Civil Litigation for Mississippi on

Q: As the custodian of a UTMA account, can I close the account and give the money to the minor before the age of 21?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 10, 2019

If the age of majority in Mississippi is (still) 21, and if the minor is not yet 21, then the minor is still a minor; right? Think about that.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Mississippi on

Q: bank told my employer that they had wrong direct deposit information and directed employer to change without my consent

I put on my employment form a direct deposit information the correct information however the bank sent an email to my employer stating it was wrong and gave another account ( which isn't mine ) but I had already had a direct deposit from my employer the week prior. now they stated that my... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 8, 2019

Regardless of the bank SNAFU, if you are receiving pay for the time worked you have no viable claim. Litigants MUST have a real injury in order to sue somebody.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Mississippi on

Q: I have a joint checking account with my mother. The bank gave a printout to my brother of our account. His name is not

on the account. He doesn't have access to the account. I did not give consent for him to obtain this information. Was this illegal?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 26, 2019

Technically, yes. Banks are not supposed to release information to any client about another client without permission. However, having been a commercial bank officer in a different lifetime, I also know that this happens frequently when the bank employees know or have known that the person asking... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Mississippi on

Q: Can a credit union bank take funds from your account to pay a delinquent credit card balance?

Does a credit union bank have the authority to take funds from a consumer's checking account to pay a delinquent credit card payment if the credit card was opened through the bank?

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 26, 2019

Yes. Any regulated financial institution has a legal "right of set off" in situations where there is money in one account but insufficient money in another account at the same bank. And it does not matter if there are other people who also own the account where the bank takes the money from either.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Business Formation for Mississippi on

Q: Is it considered forgery if your wife signs your name to a check without husbands permission

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 26, 2019

This question is not as easy as it appears. The answer would depend upon several other factors, including whether the husband and wife have a joint checking account, whether the husband has allowed his wife to sign his name to checks in the past, whether the money involved was money that only the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Collections for Mississippi on

Q: received judgment against employer for failure to answer and execute garnishment, what now?

Baskin Lowber Jones answered on Feb 1, 2018

Contact an attorney about your judgment or defaulted garnishment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.