Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Washington on
Q: In Seattle, WA, is marijuana a "controlled substance"?

In my lease agreement: "Tenant and/or Tenant's guests will not use, allow use, purchase, sell, or possess any controlled substance or drug paraphernalia ... [or firearms] ... on or near the premises." Since marijuana is legal in Washington state, would it still count as a... Read more »

Stan Glisson
Stan Glisson
answered on May 23, 2017

Legally, yes; marijuana is still a controlled substance. And paraphernalia can be just about anything used to ingest or store drugs (the definition is: all equipment, products, and materials of any kind which are used, intended for use, or designed for use in planting, propagating, cultivating,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Landlord - Tenant and Military Law for Washington on
Q: What is the charge if you know someone is subletting in base housing?

The person in question is active duty in base housing but subletting to another service member and has not reported it.

Patrick Korody
Patrick Korody
answered on Feb 13, 2017

There may not be a charge at all, depending on the circumstances. It's probably privatized housing based on a lease. Violating a lease is not normally a criminal offense, even in the military.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington on
Q: [ got a 20 day notice of termination of tenancy for no other reason butt spite what are my rights I have no rental

me and my common law wife have lived hear two years along with her niece and husband and two kids but I'm the target of this action the house is owned by the niece and her husband and my wife sister I ve had total access to the property garages etc. my rent is paid in full for the next month... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
answered on Sep 13, 2016

You might find the tenants' rights articles at Washington Law Help to be informative:

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Washington on
Q: This issue pertains to tenant landlord law and the questions and situation are explained under more information

At the end of June me and a new roommate and her daughter moved into a new apartment in Bothell, WA. The apartment is leased to her and she is the only one that signed the contract. I am listed on this contract, along with her daughter, under "Occupants". Now that I am needing to move... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
answered on Aug 25, 2016

Do you have a copy of what was signed? What does the fine print say? It sounds as if your former roommate may have had the expectation that you would contribute to the rent payment when the two of you entered into the rental arrangement. If so and if she would not have leased the apartment... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for Washington on
Q: The building where I live is trying to charge me for damage to the elevator when one of my friend's guests jumped

and the elevator stopped, there is a clause that says that I am responsible for my guests, but to what extent am I responsible for? this is outside of my reach, should I be charged for this?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jul 20, 2016

Close one. Depending on the bill may be worth having an attorney give you an answer/write a letter to them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.