COVID-19 Personal Injury Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Personal Injury Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Personal Injury for Tennessee on
Q: Can I still sue after a year of an injury that's gonna last the rest of my life?

3 officers slammed me down in the yard of the home we Were evicted from. While 2 put there knees in my back one reached around them and grabbed me by the back of my neck, squzz and just held as tightly as he could as if trying to strangle me from behind now my neck aches a lot it pops n creeks and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 1, 2021

Looks to me like the statute of limitations in Tennessee is one year. If it is over a year you can't proceed. Contact attorneys who handle "police misconduct." You need exact dates.

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on
Q: Personal injury case has been in special trial part for a year and a half , it’s just adjourned for so long!

What is the STP part. Is that a settlement part it says special trial part , I thought this part was suppose to go to trial. Can someone explain. Thank you

Charles Edward Green
Charles Edward Green answered on May 19, 2021

STP is the last stop in the court process, and it is from there that cases are sent out for jury selection and trial. As I am sure you are aware, the Covid pandemic shut down the court system for months, and jury trials only very recently began again, and on a very limited basis. Unfortunately for... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Arizona on
Q: I had a pen torch blow up in my hand like a gun twice, same brand. Faulty design can't hold psi when filled.

The product is dangerous, if u would have had my ignition source in range it would have blew my face off, burned me and anyone close. First time it pelted my chest bruising it and second it grazed along the ends if my finger tips leaving a slick friction burn and almost shot my gf in her face. I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 27, 2021

An Arizona attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for a week. As a general premise, an injury victim would not usually be able to base damages on injuries that "could have" been. The standard would be "actual" damages. Those types of damages generally need to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Minnesota on
Q: Is a college liable for putting my daughter, alone, in an off campus house with a gas leak and no sense of smell?

She was put in a house alone, with no supervision when tested positive for covid. She could not smell anything, but heard a sound emitting for the stove. She called security and they came and supposedly turned off the gas and told her she was safe now. I got there an hour later and was amazed at... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 25, 2021

A Minnesota attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your daughter's and your family's ordeal. They could be liable - it depends on the level of responsibility they assume for off-campus housing (or the level of responsibility they disclaim... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Federal Crimes and Civil Litigation for California on
Q: Can I pursue federal court case against many neighbors engaged in harassment/threats of violence to family and I ?

Things started with neighbor whom moved out with harassment towards my family and I. A friend living across street from him then continued to do the same to us depriving us of peace in our own home. This is 24/7 and has been ongoing for over a year at least. Things have escalated, they’ve... Read more »

John Karas
John Karas answered on Apr 22, 2021

In order to file a lawsuit in Federal District Court, there has to be "diversity of citizenship" (meaning you live in 1 state while the defendants live in another). The amount of damages also has to be in excess of $75,000.

From what you've described, you have several...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on
Q: Where can I find an attorney that will take a prisoners rights case that contains deliberate indifference?

The incident involves State prison and correctional health executives transferring over 100 prisoners from a Covid19 Hotspot to another facility that had no Covid19 cases. I was among those at the receiving facility who then became ill as a result of that transfer. The executives acted with... Read more »

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on Apr 10, 2021

You can find many good law firms in and around Oakland and San Francisco who are experts in civil rights cases of the kind you describe. It seems you already have developed a good bit of evidence to support your case. I suggest you prepare a chronology of the events, if you haven't already... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for California on
Q: Hello. I have been waiting for a tonsillectomy for over 2 month now.

They have failed to provide me with information about what had to be done in order to fix a mistake with my insurance and were giving me misleading information. At the end of all, it appeared to be that someone made a mistake and my insurance was wrongly put in. I have been waiting for a long time,... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Mar 15, 2021

more facts needed.

during covid, everything is upside down.

if they did anything wrong it sounds like damages might be less than $10k.

thus you could consider small claims court.

however, I would write out a demand before doing anything and after seeing a lawyer.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Kansas on
Q: statue of limitations petition was filed 6 days before limitations and clerk filed with court after statue past
David Adams
David Adams answered on Feb 17, 2021

Not clear exactly what happened here. Most all filings are online now, so there is no delay in filing. If you physically dropped off paperwork with the clerk and they did not file timely, that could be a real problem. Currently because of Covid-19 most statutes of limitations are suspended, so... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for New Jersey on
Q: Can my employer be held accountable for possibly infecting me with covid for not quaranting after international travel?

He did Not quarantine, and said he got a 24hr test done at a place I know does not offer that service. Only 2-4 days due to it being a public testing facility. Also a few people also became ill immediately after his arrival.

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Jan 24, 2021

You can sue anyone, but can you prove that you got covid from him and not someone else such as when you wen to the supermarket for food. This would be the defense your employer would probably assert. Not that you shouldn't try and you may also be entitled to workers compensation insurance.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Personal Injury for Illinois on
Q: Belleville, Il. 62221 of St. Clair County. Question: Will get paid comp from missing 4 days of work (Covid 19)

In regards to being paid by worker's comp.

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano answered on Jan 24, 2021

If you contracted Covid-19 as a front-line worker, you enjoy a rebuttable presumption that it was work-related. Once that is proven, it is the same as any other Workers' Compensation claim. In Illinois, an injured worker is not compensated for the first three days that they must be off work... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Traffic Tickets for Michigan on
Q: can i sue the PD for giving my child covid after making my child sit in the car with the officers after a traffic stop?

my son was pulled over for a tail light while on his way to the grocery store. While pulled over neither officer had a mask and made him take his off to identify himself. While they ran his name they made him get out of his vehicle handcuffed him and sit in the patrol car with them. After waiting... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 17, 2021

Your son should first make a complaint against the officers with the department's internal affairs. Legally, whether the officers' actions were appropriate will depend on what exactly was going on at the time, and what your son was or was not doing.

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Personal Injury for California on
Q: Can I get fired for contracting Covid -19? Does my employer have the right to refuse me hours since I became ill?

I work for a small business of less than 10 employees. I contracted covid over a month and a half ago. Initially my employer told me to take two weeks off, then told me to take the rest of December off and they would schedule me for more hours in January. Then Jan came and they told me they... Read more »

Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen answered on Jan 14, 2021

No one here can know if you are going to be fired. As to what your options could be, it would be important to know if you work for an employer that has at least 5 employees. If not, there is little you can do. If yes, then you are protected by the Fair Employment and Housing Act, which may give... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Landlord - Tenant for Kentucky on
Q: Hi, I was renting an apartment about 2yrs ago and cleaning before moving in I fell down the stairs broke my back

I hired attorneys, I hadn't heard from them in a couple months so I called to see what was going on and I was then told they had tried to contact me an had to drop my case because they couldn't reach me for discovery. They had the correct phone number & address, they had came to my... Read more »

Robert Edward Blau
Robert Edward Blau answered on Dec 29, 2020

On what date and year did the accident happen? Generally, in Kentucky you only have one year from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit. Please let me know the answer to my question so I can further advise you.


Robert Blau

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Social Security for Texas on
Q: I am 56 and lost my job of about 30 years because of a work injury that left me with a permanent weight restriction.

I am going to file for SSDI. Should I apply for unemployment so that I can have income while waiting to hear if I qualify for SSDI? I think I may qualify with a grid rule. I received Workman's Comp for 2 years.

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on Dec 24, 2020

Yes, you can apply and receive unemployment benefits while you apply for SSDI benefits. It is a practical approach. Be aware, however, that there is a contradiction in getting both benefits since unemployment requires you to be ABLE to work and actively look for work, and SSDI approval requires... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: Hey so I got into a car accident with no license or insurance and I got hit on the passenger side by a Amazon car

But the place we where at didn’t have a stop sign and I had my 4 month old in the car and my back hurts really bad

Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer answered on Dec 6, 2020

I am very sorry this happened to you. Especially this time of the year, with COVID-19 impacting much of our lives. I am going to assume that you were not at-fault in this accident. First the health of you and your child are the most important thing. Fortunately, a well-protected baby can do well in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Missouri on
Q: Hello, last night I drove my mother to the hospital due to an ankle injury. She broke her leg and ankle.

Hello, last night I drove my mother to the hospital due to an ankle injury. She broke her leg and ankle. The hospital put a cast on her leg. I was not able to go inside the hospital due to COVID. When she said she was coming out to leave she fell down inside the hospital breaking two ribs. Is the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 16, 2020

A Missouri attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your mother's ordeal. For the most meaningful answer to your question, it would be helpful to investigate the matter in greater detail, in terms of hospital policies, witness statements,... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for California on
Q: What is the time limit to serve a PI lawsuit in state of California in this pandemic situation?

What's the time limit to serve a PI lawsuit to the defendant from the date it is filed considering the Covid pandemic?

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Oct 1, 2020

"Serve" means to deliver the summons and complaint to a person in accord with the legal requirements, such as personal service by the Sheriff. "File" means to submit your complaint and a summons to the Court along with a filing fee or fee waiver application, so the case is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Alaska on
Q: My statue of limitation is running out on my personal injury case. Is there a form I can fill out to extend the statue?

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer after using Johnson and johnson talc powder all my life.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 28, 2020

Time is of the essence in your situation. Although an attorney in your jurisdiction could advise best, it would be advisable for you to take action without further delay instead of awaiting a response to your post here. DO NOT count on the statute of limitations being extended in significant... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can i get emancipated from her?

Hello I have a mother who is borderline emotionally abusive, she tells me i make everyone miserable constantly, blames me for everything that goes wrong and more. I am 16, can I move out and live with a friend legally. Can i get emancipated from her?

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Aug 28, 2020

Maybe, but these aren't easy actions to 'win' and it would be something you wouldn't be able to do yourself. To able to file, you have to be 16 (check) and have lived in the same county for 6 months (don't know). To successfully emancipate yourself, you are going to have... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Alabama on
Q: I have done my deposition about 4 months ago, and is there a time frame on the person I'm suing to do there deposition?

The person Im suing hasn't did there deposition and I wanted to know could they wait until next year to do theirs, or is it a time frame for them to do theirs. My deposition was held four months ago.

Jeffrey G. Blackwell
Jeffrey G. Blackwell answered on Aug 27, 2020

Good question. With the current Covid-19 issues, many things are delayed. Your delays could be the result of coronavirus issues. But, I'll answer the question as if times are normal.

I've seen many lawyers frustrated by issues scheduling the other party's deposition. One of...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.