Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Business Formation Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation for Florida on
Q: If I am employed with a non-profit organization and I test positive for covid 19??

Does the non-profit organization have to pay me while I'm out during quarantine until I'm able to return to work??

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 19, 2021

It depends on the term of your employment agreement.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation, Civil Litigation, Employment Law and Estate Planning for Virginia on
Q: What are the different ways an attorney finds out information about a case through discovery?
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Jul 16, 2021

Request for Admissions, Interrogatories and Request for Production of Documents.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: Hello, I am looking into getting a few vending machines that might span a few counties in MD, and I can't find answers

on what will be required. The state site does not help any either. I am military if that helps with anything. Thank you in advance.

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Jul 15, 2021

A vending machine license is not required if the following items are offered for sale:

Cigarettes - (Special laws govern the sales of cigarettes through a vending machine. For more information, contact the State License Bureau or the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county in which the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Intellectual Property and International Law on
Q: Is it possible to sign a Licensing Agreement online with US Companies as a US LLC owned by NRA?

Dear lawyer,

I have a US SMLL, I am an NRA(not us citizen nor us resident).

I am an inventor owning a US LLC.

My goal is: via my us LLC I want to file PPA(Provisional Patent Applications) for my ideas to establish “perceived ownership”.

and Try to sign a... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 14, 2021

You can sign licensing agreements with anybody you want in the world.

You need to consult with an attorney before taking any actions

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Delaware on
Q: Can a website judge me or charge my card?

A website gives discount for each one who use an invite code. I opened more than one account to get this discount every time I purchased from them. I used different cards, name and shipping address on every time I purchased. Can they judge me or charge my card if they know that it's one who... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 14, 2021

Depends solely on your card member agreementvterms.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for California on
Q: At what point must I have a business license?

I am a website designer normally employed full time but since Covid I have been considering starting my own business. I would offers website design, graphic design, logo design and creation, marketing and social media management as well as ongoing site maintenance and management. Before I fully... Read more »

Julie King
Julie King answered on Jul 12, 2021

Once you market yourself to the world, you are in business and should have a business license. Check the websites of your city and your county to learn the requirements that apply to your jurisdiction. If you are working out of your home, your city and/or county may require a home-based business... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Florida on
Q: Can a Life Coach advertise that they offer Marriage and Parenting Counseling
Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Jul 12, 2021

You may want to see if there is a conflict of interest. If there is, it could be unethical.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation and Trademark for Washington on
Q: Can I "do business as" the same name as a trademarked name in a completely different industry?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 7, 2021


You need to consult with an attorney to review your options and risks

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Georgia on
Q: Can I have one parent company and multiple DBAs?

I have two small businesses that are home-based. I would like to get one business to act as a parent company to the other small businesses we create.

Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines answered on Jul 5, 2021

Good question and yes you can create multiple doing business as (DBAs) registered to a single LLC. However, you will run the risk or exposing yourself to liability by keeping all your eggs in one basket, because a claim against one DBA will be a claim against all them. It is wise to create... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Business Formation, Business Law and Small Claims for New York on
Q: Good morning can anyone assist me on getting my 2020 taxes return from my accountant I can’t reach her she’s not reply

She has been doing my taxes for a few years now i call and text her about my situation ,but she doesn’t answer me , she move her office out east in Long Island New York , I’m trying to buy a house and I need my taxes information from her to get my Mortgage qualify

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Jul 2, 2021

You can report her to the State licensing board, and see if they can help. You can order your return or a transcript of it from the IRS.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Texas on
Q: Can my Ex wife use car awarded her in divorcebut still in my name until paid off to claim for her LLC roofing business ?
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Jun 28, 2021

If she was awarded the car, she can use it for any purpose she wants, even if the lender won't allow a change on the title until the loan is paid off.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Texas on
Q: Does a Washington state based LLC need to register as a foreign entity with Texas SOS?

Hi, I live in Washington State and I am formalizing a small business LLC from my home. The main purpose of my LLC is to purchase real estate property in Texas (residential homes), and put them up for rental. I will utilize a Texas based real estate company to purchase the home(s), and utilize a... Read more »

Brian J Elliott
Brian J Elliott answered on Jun 21, 2021

Yes - a foreign entity doing business in Texas needs to be registered with the Texas Secretary of State. However, an entity that is created for the sole purpose of owning real estate may not need to be registered in TX even though the property is located in TX. While the entity that conducts the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am buying a Vending machine and going to place it in a bar that is 21 to enter. I want to put Tabacoo products in it

Do I need a special license to do so?.

Charles Watts
Charles Watts answered on Jun 21, 2021

Yes - all vending machines have licensing requirements.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Formation, Business Law and Patents (Intellectual Property) on
Q: below


I am an Amazon seller. Before starting my business I have hired an advocate to investigate patent infringements in advance. There were 3 patents for a similar product, however, one of the patents have been founds that very similar to my product but still there is a difference between... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jun 21, 2021

You need to contact an attorney to evaluate your case.

In general Amazon does not arbitrate whether you are infringing or not a patent.

So your choices may be limited if you do not have a patent or license to your product.

Best luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Business Formation for New York on
Q: I was given a business. The business does not charge for services. The clients sign up on the website for service.

I need to make sure the contract is legally binding and I am becoming owner of said business.

I am on SSI & SSDI as my income.

The business is strictly a website type business.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 17, 2021

I'm sorry your question remains open for two weeks. The format here is usually quick general questions, which is why it could be difficult to get a response to review a contract. You could use the "Find-a-Lawyer" tab above to reach out to attorneys or search independently online.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Louisiana on
Q: i need an affidavit but im not sure what its called can you help? i just need to know the name

I was just employed by a start up company and they want me to get an affidavit saying that I am the only one who has claim to any business information. for example if I were to get married and then divorced my spouse could not have any of my shares in the company

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh answered on Jun 11, 2021

Short version is that you and/or your employer should hire a lawyer to properly draw up all of the paperwork you are discussing/seeking. It would seem that your employer would have an interest in doing this because I assume that there may be additional person(s) --whether employees or business... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: I signed a partnership agreement to start a new company. How do I back out before it gets started?

I signed a agreement to start a company. Nothing has been filed/registered/, the business does not yet exist. How do I back out of the agreement? I no longer have the financial assets to start one. My “partner” claims he signed the agreement thinking it was an already existing company. However... Read more »

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Jun 3, 2021

Honestly? Anytime a person engages in drafting their own legal documents without the aid of an experienced attorney, that person has made a mistake. You should meet with a business attorney now to see what, if anything, you are now facing that will be harmful to you and whether it can be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Maryland on
Q: If I self-publish a book and want to sell it, what do I need to do? If I need a license, then what kind?

Will I need to establish a small business.

If so, which is most economical, a sole proprietorship or partnership.

Who do I need to talk to?

Rolanzo Richard White
Rolanzo Richard White answered on Jun 2, 2021

You do not need to establish a business to self publish a book, but there are several advantages to to doing so. For instance, you can deduct businesses expenses you may have incurred in making your book from your tax liability.

Sole proprietorships, partnerships, and LLCs each have...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Business Formation and Business Law for Illinois on
Q: US company refuses to Pay or give ownership. They are blackmailing me now.

In 2018, I went into an oral agreement with a person in the United States to build an online platform. I was responsible for all the tech from designs to coding etc. I live in Pakistan, we had this agreement orally over zoom.

He promised equity and delayed payment for my work. We agreed... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on May 23, 2021

You can sue him but it will be complicated and expensive

You may be able to sue in your country or in the USA

You should consult with an attorney to determine your options

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Florida on
Q: I filed an LLC in Orlando, Florida. I'm the operating owner and I listed my daughter as the AR-Authorized Representat.

Does the AR have to be listed as a member?

Keith Kanouse
Keith Kanouse answered on May 20, 2021

Is the LLC manager-managed or member-managed. If she is a manager and/or member, she must be included in the Articles of Organization.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.