Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Illinois on
Q: I was released on a $500 bond, didn't show up and now my case is under warrant calendar. Will they hold me with no bond

I didn't show up for the calendar date and it's a 6 year old warrant

John S. Fotopoulos
John S. Fotopoulos answered on Jun 21, 2021

Every case is different. It is essential that you retain an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Kentucky on
Q: I live with my mom and step dad I have for a year I help help pay rent and if I get a epo on my stepdad in the state ky

Will he have to leave

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 20, 2021

Most likely, yes.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nebraska on
Q: My bf and I had been arguing on the phone he threatened to take my apartment and kids from me so I called the police and

I called the police told them he hit me had the neighbor say she saw it but she didn’t give her name he has a warrant now he didn’t hit me thoufg

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 18, 2021

A person can be charged if they make a false report to law enforcement. Law enforcement is often skeptical if a person contacts law enforcement and says they are victim of domestic violence and then later recants the statement. It is a common fact pattern for a victim of domestic violence to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Louisiana on
Q: is it illegal to audio record someone taking care of your child without their consent if you suspect child abuse?

I suspected that my ex-wife was abusing my children. So, I placed an audio recording device in a car that I own but she uses often. Sure enough, after I came back from work and listened to the recording, I found out that she was abusing my son to an extreme psychological level. What should I do? is... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Jun 17, 2021

No exception. It's still illegal

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana on
Q: if you went to jail for lying on police report, will the innocent defendant charges get dropped once they go to court?

I previously filed a false police report on someone because I was extremely angry emotional dealing with morning sickness ,don’t know What came over me, so I went to jail because I confess will the DA still prosecute since I told the truth? Will charges be dismissed in court? Or will a innocent... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on Jun 17, 2021

His attorney needs to call you as a witness if it is not dismissed.

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I get a judge to look at evidence? They keep denying to look at the evidence
Boe Lynn Bowen
Boe Lynn Bowen answered on Jun 16, 2021

This is a very complicated questions that involves multiple levels of issues.

Deadlines and how the evidence was obtained, type of case and the judge all just a few variables that can keep evidence out.

I encourage you to contact an attorney to discuss your case in detail as it...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Sexual Harassment and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Can I plead 5th

If I lied when calling cops about dv about some of the other questions they asked (has he ever done this or that) and said yes and now i got a subpoena to be at court can I plead the 5th? I mean I read they can charge you if you lied.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 14, 2021

lying to the police is not a good thing.

you should discuss your plight with a criminal lawyer, at a consultation, asap.

many DV victims later say they lied, so the odds are that the police and DA will not believe you.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Kentucky on
Q: Someone got arrested for domestic violence 4th, strangulation, and 2 failures to appears what is to expect to happen?

This is first time ever being arrested. Failure to appears result from back child support and not going to court. What is the punishment going to be? Will they drop from a felony?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 14, 2021

Probably a plea to misdemeanor assault and if they have a good lawyer, diversion.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Kentucky on
Q: In Kentucky can a harassment charge be dropped? Physical contact, no injury.. hearing coming up in a month

Boyfriend and I got in a fight. He tripped me. I pushed him in defense. He tackled me. I told him to get out. From there it turned into a mess of me panicking thinking he was going to hurt me and restraining him. Police came. Arrested no one. He said I choked him. Police noted no physical marks on... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 14, 2021

Dropping the charge is solely up to the prosecutor snd usually unlikely to happen in a domestic violence case.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for California on
Q: my kids mom recently 4 days ago was arrested on domestic violencea

i dont want to try no more few years ago she left us and went w a guy and my daughter said he touched her .i filed for custody and gave me temporarily because she never showed up. but i wanted my kids to be w her , so i tried to work w her and her drinking got worse and her anger got worse. she... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 11, 2021




Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Utah on
Q: If I've run away from home and am living somewhere else unofficially can I contact my family? Can my dad take me home?

I ran away from home recently and DCFS hasn't really been over to tell me where I was going and what I was doing. They came over once to see if I had a place to go and a bed to sleep in, etc. The agent told the family I'm staying with that my father can legally take me home with him... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jun 11, 2021

There is no reason you cannot contact your family and for the sake of your future relationship with them, you should. Until someone else is appointed your guardian, you are emancipated, or you turn 18; yes, your father could take you home. As your parent, he has that right.

In order to be...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Utah on
Q: Can I get emancipated from a family that's abusive without legal consent from my parents? I'm 16

I've recently ran away from home because my dad has been abusive for years and I have gotten a bunch of support from my friends and my friends got me out of the house. I was in some trouble for another legal thing that I also need answers for. When I ran away I was talking with my local police... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jun 10, 2021

Utah Legal Services may be able to connect you with a local attorney who could help you pro bono (free). The short answer is "yes, you can be emancipated without your parents consent." You will need to show that you can actually support yourself and not rely on the family you are staying... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: domestic violence issues and tenant rights ? I am being kicked out for being a victim of domestic violence?

My girlfriend has been arrested for the second time for domestic violence. I want to leave, but I want to take our cat with me also. I am being forced to move out for being a victim.

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 9, 2021

more info needed.

a lawyer would want to review the lease and have a more complete understanding of the facts. Who has the lease?

i assume the domestic violence was in your apartment and you were the victim and the landlord is afraid of a repeat performance?

was this the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Washington on
Q: How do I get a case dismissed?

I wrote a statement against my boyfriend in which I lied on I was angry at the time now he’s facing some time I’ve tried calling and asking for help on what to do I really need help he didn’t do the things I said he did

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jun 7, 2021

Sorry to hear. You need to call a criminal defense attorney ASAP to help you navigate. Most of us offer free phone consultations. Making a false police report is a crime that could result in life changing consequences for yourself if you are not careful.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Kentucky on
Q: Just found out about a warrant for non-payment of fines on criminal case. What do I do
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 7, 2021

If you pay the fines, they will recall the warrant.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Missouri on
Q: Hello, my ex boyfriend left my stranded in MS with no money food or vehicle, I knew no one there. I live in MO.

Ex begged me to stay With him in Grenada MS in a hotel for a week while he worked. I live in Mo so he picked me up and drove me The entire time I was there he was emotional and argumentative. Thursday I Made a nail appointment, I had to walk to. I started walking to the nail salon Next thing I... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Jun 6, 2021

That’s a very sad situation. This isn’t something likely to result in litigation, however. You need to figure out if you want to remain in a relationship with someone who would do that to you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for Tennessee on
Q: If somebody knows daughter get molested multiple times and hasn’t done anything what can victim’s mother be charged with

Her mother has known about the interactions and has done nothing she invites older men over She put drugs in her daughters mouth she takes naked pictures of her daughter and she hasn’t done anything about her daughter get molested

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Jun 3, 2021

The mother could be charged with multiple crimes. Reporting abuse can be anonymous and should be reported to the Tennessee Department of Children's Services immediately at 877-237-0004.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Arkansas on
Q: Yes I was assualted in clebourn co arkansas they charged him with domestic battery 3 what will they do to him

He is my cousin was letting him stay with me

Joshua W. Bugeja Esq.
Joshua W. Bugeja Esq. answered on Jun 2, 2021

Truthfully, there's no way to say with any level of certainty will happen to your cousin based on the limited information you provided. His criminal history (including whether or not he was on a suspended imposition of sentence for another crime for example, even if it was unrelated both... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Arkansas on
Q: Can a domestic battery charge be dropped ?

Me and my boyfriend got into a heated argument one night and i was in the closet getting clothes for my younger son. My boyfriend was talking to me asking me why was i getting my son clothes. He walked up to me and grabbed my arm to pull me out the closet to look at him and i tripped and we both... Read more »

Joshua W. Bugeja Esq.
Joshua W. Bugeja Esq. answered on Jun 2, 2021

It is entirely possible that the case(s) will be dropped (referred to by the legal term "nole prossed"). This often occurs when the alleged victim is uncooperative, there is a "mutual combat" situation, and/or other factors are considered (such as a medical diagnosis which... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: What forms do I file if R didnt make paymnts to P as order on stipulation?

4/14/18 DVRO/Stipulation -ordered R' to make paymnts directly to P' every 15th of month for support. 2 month payments were received with memo "Support". 8/14/18 We reconciled, during this time R' would transfer funds to my account for household, food, etc. none of these... Read more »

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 2, 2021





Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.