Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: I was terminated for Unemployment fraud after I was a victim of identity theft I never received benefits in Pa.

I never filed for the benefits nor did I receive I was termed for this reason even though the address is not mine nor did i receive monetary from these benefits .

Joseph Korsak
Joseph Korsak answered on Oct 14, 2021

You need to notify your nearest UC office an provide whatever documentary proof you have, Remember that you will receive a 1099 for this income.

My number is 717-880-3759 Joseph C. Korsak

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: How long do you get for credit card fraud by using a strangers card

Was asked to get something for co-worker on break and I thought the card that I had used was the co-workers card and put it in my pocket and used it. Ended up that it wasn't my co-workers card after all. Since I was last used by card holder at my place of work they matched up the video... Read more »

Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein answered on Nov 24, 2020

It is a felony of the 3rd degree. Maximum is 3.5-7 years. Call a lawyer. The lawyer can call the police officer to see if charges are pending. If they are, a lawyer can make arrangements to turn you in rather than the police coming to arrest you. You need legal representation so start calling... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Q: What's the next step after police to you about being involved in credit card fraud investigation of $20.00

Accidental credit card fraud. I used someone else's credit card to make a purchase. I then tried to make another purchase with card and it didn't work. I tried to use the card again. The screen then said something about card being offline. I used a different card the for the purchase and... Read more »

Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein answered on Nov 24, 2020

Do NOT speak to the police without a warrant. More information is needed to give you advice. Did you know the person whose credit card it was? If not, you could be charged with felonies, including access device fraud, theft, identity theft. If you knew the person, if they say you did not nave... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: My ex-wife continued to collect and sign my ssi benefits for 10 months while I was incarcerated - what charges for her

What kind of charges can I file against her? She is now withholding my Stimulus Money because she also signed my name to her tax return and the bank account it was deposited into is hers. We have been seperated since Dec. 1, 2017.

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush answered on Apr 16, 2020

My first question to you is - is she actually your ex-wife? Are you divorced? If so, and she did all this after your divorce, she's got some legal issues. If you're not actually divorced, she may claim that you instructed her to file a joint tax return. On the SSI checks, I'm... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: Does a advance health care directive need to be notarized?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 22, 2019

It doesn't "have" to be--but then a hospital may not follow it. They want to be sure it's your free will.

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: My son bought a purebred English lab Jun16,2018 she was 8wks old. Very smart. Got along with my American Staffordshire.

We didn't know we were only permitted 1 ADA dog so we ask this couple a week ago to watch her until things changed. Well they did and we were granted permission for her. Now they refuse to give her back. Even though we hold the receipts to her and her akc paperwork.

*it was only after... Read more »

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush answered on Oct 3, 2018

I suggest that you go to your local district court and file a civil complaint, seeking return of your dog.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: What kind of lawyer do I need, ex wife recently used a credit card in my name that was supposed to be closed.

Called credit company, they said account is in my name and social security number, ex wife listed as user. I thought account was closed. When I bought a house last year this did not come up on credit report as even being open. There is over 15000 charged on it as of May, 2018 one payment made June... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Jun 24, 2018

Initially, you should call the police and make a report. They'll investigate and determine whether or not to file criminal charges against her. Police activity is what the creditor will want to see to remove this account from your name, and to get it removed from your credit report. If... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: I am being accused of using another person's bank account to pay two credit cards. What charges can come from that?

I am being accused of using someone else's checking account information to pay two of my credit cards. The first was my home Depot card, and I notified the person that was the checking account owner that a payment was about to go through, and the account owner called his bank and stopped the... Read more »

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Jun 8, 2018

Typically, fraudulent use of another's bank account without his/her permission could carry charges like: forgery; access device fraud; identity theft; theft by unlawful taking; theft by deception; and/or receiving stolen property. The grading of the offenses (felony, misdemeanor, etc.)... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: If my husband Put 24000.00 on MY name only card and now is 2 months behind on payments what are my options Thank you

When I was in the hospital my husband put $24,000.00 on MY name only credit card and signed the balance transfers checks with my name which is fraud and now has quit making the payments for 2 months and they are calling me and I understand and now I somehow want to make him accountable for this... Read more »

Zak Taylor Goldstein
Zak Taylor Goldstein answered on Mar 5, 2018

You could report him to the police or sue him. That is enough money that you may want to consult with a family lawyer. The police probably will not be interested because it is your husband.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Q: I asked for the discovery to my federal case and was told I couldn't get it.what can I do to get it?i have my adictment

I'm also on home confinement as well but not allowed to see the discovery on the matter at hand,what can I do to get it?

NiaLena Caravasos
NiaLena Caravasos answered on Feb 25, 2018

There may be a protective order in your case, which could explain why you cannot have and/or see your discovery. However, you will need to know what the evidence is against you in order to make proper decisions in your case, so you can certainly ask your lawyer when she/he will be able to discuss... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: I accessed my exes fb and email acts using passwords he gave me when we were together. I live in pa him in de. Illegal?

I found info that could be a children and youth issue regarding our daughter and him. But can charges be brought against me even though he gave me the passwords?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 16, 2018

I believe not as he could have changed them and chose not to.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania on
Q: my brother stole my identity when pulled over for speeding. I have 4 point on my license that I am trying to get remove.

My brother is in PA jail for identity theft and I need to file an amended petition ferencing formal action by the department of transportation setting forth the procedural history of the case, attaching copies of any formal notice of points, which I have, and outline what relief I am requesting.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 25, 2017

Talk to the DA's office Victim Assistance Coordinator. You should be able to contest the assignment of points with Penndot and presumably any sentence of your brother should require he give a statement or affidavit that he was the driver and presented your ID.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Consumer Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Responsible for a student loan without a proof as a co-signer

My son’s information was used without his consent as a co-signer for a student loan. Now, the bank holds him responsible, although they don’t have his signature or agreement anywhere in written that he is a co-signer for that loan. The girl used his information two times in PA while he is... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 19, 2016

First, consult a consumer lawyer. Go to If he gets called write down who the person is, time, date, exactly what they say. He should send a letter certified return receipt disputing the debt. If he didn't sign he isn't a co signer.

Next step is to file a complaint...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft for Pennsylvania on
Q: I had 1 checking acct, savings acct, and an IRA opened using my personal information, all unauthorized & without consent

All transactions were originated from bank location where my son's dad was a new employee at the time, and also withdrew money from the only checking acct I did authorize without my consent. I contacted the corporate office to file a complaint, and was told they were investigating the matter.... Read more »

Rachel Lea Hunter
Rachel Lea Hunter answered on Aug 17, 2013

File a police report. Financial identity fraud is a crime. The person who did this can be prosecuted so if its your son's dad, then he may go off to jail.

Follow the directions for fact sheet 17a at You can also sue the son's dad as well as the organizations...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.