Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Health Care Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Health Care Law, Juvenile Law and Medical Malpractice for Alabama on
Q: Can a hospital deny the legal father visitation rights to their child?

My child is 13 year who was diagnosed with Leukemia (November 2020). She had a Bone Marrow Transplant Patient and developed GHVD and other medical issue. I don’t believe that my child is getting better and care she is receiving from this childrens hospital is not good. So, I reported to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: I am a professional that had an agreement with an attorney to provide expert medical testimony.

At one point in our work, one of the attorneys (whom I was working for the benefit of) threatened me with litigation because I did not return his/her phone call, and it had only been 36 hours since their request for me to call them. I notified that attorney in reply that I felt this behavior was... Read more »

Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook answered on Jul 29, 2021

If you want to get out of the contract, then you should take the written agreement to a contract attorney who works in a different area than the attorney you are having trouble with, and see what they have to say about the terms.

If you feel the conduct was unbecoming of an attorney enough...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: My niece has never been to school and she is now almost 16 years old , can her mother get in trouble ?

The two sisters are 8 and 11 and have never been to school either and their brother is almost 18 . She was saying she homeschooled the children yet never did so . The children do not know how to spell , know their left from right and can hardly even add or subtract . Yet alone don’t even have... Read more »

Kristine Jones
Kristine Jones answered on Nov 23, 2020

The county DHR can help. Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: I want to know whether i can sue a doctor for causing a bigger scar on my face, while he treating for one scar on face

I had a facial burn scar and i started treatment with one of the doctors here. He provided me a bleach cream to apply around the scar to start the surgery after one month. But after i started applying for a week it started burning on my face and created a very big scar than i used to have it... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 16, 2020

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Based on these brief facts alone, it is difficult to answer your question. An attorney could need additional information, such as instructions provided to you by the doctor, warning labels on the cream, the nature... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: How can I get my father’s medical records from hospital since he has passed away?
Christopher Belk Estes
Christopher Belk Estes answered on Jun 10, 2020

Most all hospitals will require that you be appointed as the Administrator or Personal Representative of your father's estate in order to obtain a copy of his medical records. I have only seen a few times where a hospital released records to a relative of a deceased person without being... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability, Health Care Law and Legal Malpractice for Alabama on
Q: Child’s doctors office didn’t return calls, gave bad advice over phone about 4 week old baby.

I called my child’s doctor office multiple times trying to get a appointment for that day and wasn’t getting a response, I told them my child’s symptoms and his age multiple times only to get a call 30 minutes before they closed. The lady on the phone told me she would go ask a doctor and... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 25, 2019

I'm sorry for the ordeal your baby and you, as a parent, went through. A med mal attorney would likely want to review the records with a medical professional to make a more meaningful assessment. In terms of the telephone exchanges, an attorney would have additional questions regarding what... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: How can insurance companies keep lowering pain management for long term pain mngt patients until quality of life suffers

I had my first spine surgery at age 19 and many more,some botched over the years I turn 50 in a few days. Over the years I've had many pain mngt procedures, medications, and not a whole lot of pain relief. I finally got good pain mngt Dr. approx 16 yrs ago who gradually raised my meds until I... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 9, 2019

An Alabama attorney could address your issues best, as insurance is governed by state law. But your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your pain and frustration here. This sounds like something to take up with your doctor. While the pain management philosophies of your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Health Care Law and Probate for Alabama on
Q: What form do I use to file a motion for Alabama Code Title 22. § 22-52-1.2?
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney answered on Oct 28, 2019

You are asking about an involuntary commitment proceeding. I would recommend you call your local probate court and see if they have a form on hand. In my home county of Jefferson any individual can complete the appropriate form at the probate court office. Just to clarify you will want to call... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: Are radiologists free to be careless, by not putting 'all that may be wrong' on reports?

The CT shows one side is more dense than 6 months ago, the brain sinus hyperattenuations are not mentioned. Dr.'s do not or can not view radiological films, due to being 'overridden' by what the radiologist says.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jan 30, 2019

No medical professional, or other professional, for that matter, has free license to be careless. The premise is that they will act diligently, thoroughly, professionally, and exercise their best medical judgment in examining films and outlining their findings. Are some more thorough than others?... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: If my therapist recommends I go to inpatient can I refuse.

So my mom wants me to go to inpatient if my therapist recommends it it's for self harm depression ptsd blah blah. I'm wondering can I refuse entirely? I'm turning 16 in 6 months. And it says here. Any minor who is 14 years of age or older, or has graduated from high school, or is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law, Medical Malpractice and Nursing Home Abuse for Alabama on
Q: Can I sue a rehab/ nursing facility for negligence?

Upon being released from hospital My mother was sent to a rehab facility. She has been there for 6days. Since there my mother has difficulty breathing, the nurses that administer her meds would asked her if she's ok or if they can get her anything she'd say no and that she's having... Read more »

Greg Foster
Greg Foster answered on Feb 17, 2018

I am very sorry that your mother has been in distress after arriving at a nursing home / rehabilitation facility. Based on the scenario you have presented, it appears that there may be some issues related to the timeliness and appropriateness of your mother's care. To fully answer your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: I was in an accident in '16 w/a girl who hit a tree. I lost my leg. 25000.00 settlement that ends in 16507 left.

Filed chapter 7 with my husband. Bc debt was so high. Way way over income as I still can't work. Cigna has sub. Lien for 30000.00. I have no assets. We are barely surviving. Will I receive any of the settlement. The put 15000.00 for wildcard exemption. Just curious

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 8, 2017

You didn't ask but I assume you got on social security disability for at least the period after the crash through the year after your amputation. You might see if your lawyer can bring a crashworthiness case. However, with bankruptcy you don't have enough to go 'round so I doubt if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: Instruments not sterilized when Ingrown toe nail was removed.

I have an infected toe nail and had to get it removed. I was notified that I could of been contaminated with an infection due to not have the instruments used properly sterilized. I had to get lab work done but haven't gottten the results back. I have to get lab work done for the next 6 month... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 6, 2017

You have a claim for the cost of the lab work at least. See what happens, get a free consult from a member of tha Ala. Assn for Justice.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Tax Law and Health Care Law for Alabama on
Q: As a co-sponsor of my brother's wife, am I in any way responsible for providing insurance, or penalties, under ACA?

My brother, a US citizen, is moving back to the US with his wife, a non-citizen, and children after many years spent in Japan. Since he doesn't have an income here in the US, yet, he needs a co-sponsor for his wife. I understand that according to the Affordable Care Act she is required to have... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Apr 23, 2017

Your responsibilities are stated in the instructions and body of the I-864 Affidavit of Support;

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Alabama on
Q: Is it legal for a hospital to have you in a room and after they find out you have no issurance put you in the hall?

Hospital had me put in a room stripped and put in a gown plugged to a machine said the Dr. Will be with me shortly. Nurse came and asked if I had insurance. I said no. They came and took me out of the bed in the room in a gown back side out and moved me to a bed in the hallway gave me a blanket and... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 3, 2017

Not illegal. Tacky, but not illegal. Now if they didn't serve you at all, that might be different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.