Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: I am renewing my lease and my fiance needs to be added. Can the landlord add a security deposit because of that?

When I moved in I told my landlord my fiance would be moving in later. He said that was okay. I spoke with him twice on correcting the lease and adding her. Months went by and now my lease is up for renewal. Note...the rent is already going up. I agreed to that. I told him to make sure he has both... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: My lease is up for renewal, in GA. Can the landlord add an additional deposit besides what I already paid, first lease?

I have been here a year. I paid a double security deposit when i first moved because my credit. Now I am renewing my lease. Is he able to add another deposit on the lease renewal in the state of GA?

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: I was served a writ of possession but nobody comes to execute for more than 30 days after notice

Lived in house 23 years land lord sold without notice got eviction answered was spars to be out by April 19th at that point was when the writ of possession could be executed. Been staying in home still because I have nowhere else to go.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Our son and daughter are renting a place in Georgia without a lease. Does the landlord have to give 60 days notice?

They just received a certified letter from the landlord that they have to be out by May 31st.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Do I have to provide another copy of my ID and SSCard to landlord if been living there for 13 years?

Property has been managed by different property companies, and new company took over 4/1/2021 ( same day my rental money order payment was stolen) and now they want copies of ID and SS card. Where are my previous ID and SS Card info? I've been there.13 years

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: I am renting from an agency, and the week after me and my roommate told them we would not be renewing, they started to

Show the unit. They have only given my roommate 24 hr notice, and given me no notice even though the lease says both will receive a 24 hr notice. What should be done?

0 Answers | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: If I was told that by Friday I need to pay $80 to the power company for my utilities or it will get shut off and I call

I called the utility place and they said I need account number I'll call my renter landlord and she will not give me that information saying that she wants me out due to police activity over here which she has no proof of me doing anything

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Hi im being evicted from my apartment due to parking violations what actions can i take on this matter
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer answered on May 17, 2022

May be a violation of your lease or they may be improperly targeting you as a form of harassment. GA has difficult Landlord Tenant law for tenants, but there are some really good self help resources at Legal Aid type clinics.

If the parking violations are legit, it may just be easier and...
Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Central a/c out for 7 days. Landlord will not respond to voice mil texts or his web page request for repair.

I am 75 yrs old with heart condition and wife with cancer of liver going to chemo every 3 weeks.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Can I break my rental lease due to ongoing unsanitary plumbing issues in Georgia?

I submit maintenance request each time. Plumbers say can’t find a problem. Recently happened May 3. Request sent. Today it has been deleted. I pay a lot in rent to property management and dealing with this issue 5-6 times in one year. No resolution. I want to know can I break my lease for these... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: What Form do I need to use to evict a tenant-at-will?

I rent a home through a rental company. They are my landlord but I have a tenant-at-will that I need to evict. They are not on the lease with me and are considered an unauthorized tenant by my landlord. I’m wondering what the correct form would be to use in his situation. Thank you.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Can my landlord give me a 60-day notice without a reason according to Georgia law? My lease is up in 6 months.

While the 60 day notice clause is in my lease, is it within the parameters of GA law? Also, I was sent an email followed by a phone call from the leasing office. Is this considered due process?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Wife and I rent from her parents. The father tried to move in and is raising rent after we refused. What can we do?

My wife and I agreed to rent this property from her father due to them explaining that the condition of the house was not suitable for sale. After about 4-5 years of this situation going fairly rough. He attempted to reach out to us to try to move back in with us while we were still renting. My... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck answered on Apr 4, 2022

If you have a lease it will likely control the contractual relationship. Thus, if the lease sets a certain rental amount from say April 4, 2021 to April 4, 2022, then the father likely cannot raise the rental amount within those dates. Even if the father attempts to raise the rental amount mid... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: What is the minimum amount of a lawsuit in Georgia to transfer a case from county Court to State Court for jury trial?
Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill answered on Feb 24, 2022

It depends.

If you are in Magistrate Court as a defendant in a dispossessory action, the action can be transferred on a counterclaim for more than $15,000.

If you are beginning nondispossessory civil action and want to transfer it from Magistrate Court, you can file an amended...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: Landlord changed locks on me but left door open but I don’t have a key

Is there anything I can do to delaying the eviction??

Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill answered on Feb 24, 2022

The landlord cannot change the locks on you without filing for an eviction and obtaining a writ of possession.

Once a writ has been obtained, before changing the locks, the items must be placed outside so you can get it.

You should demand a key in writing. If it is denied, you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: I hired a management company but fired them. I sold the house shortly there after. Now they want 3% commission

they did not market the house nor did they locate the tenant. I did not sell the house to the tenant or anyone related to the tenant but to an investment company. Are they entitled to this commission payment? Area of question is Atlanta GA

Glenn M. Lyon
Glenn M. Lyon answered on Jan 18, 2022

It depends on the terms of the agreement with the management company. Sometimes the agreement will state that they still earn a commission if the house sells within a certain time even if the agreement has been terminated. Have an attorney review the terms and advise of your options.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Tax Law for Georgia on
Q: I am in a rent-to-own in Georgia and my landlord has asked me to pay property taxes. How should I handle this?

We are 6 months into the rent-to-own contract and property taxes is not something that was previously mentioned as our responsibility. Additionally, we were only told about it needingnto be paid 4 days before the taxes are due in our respective county.

Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill answered on Dec 19, 2021

If it is not in the lease, you don't have to pay.

The best way to shut the conversation down is to ask the landlord where in the lease it requires you to pay taxes.

If he can't point to it, tell him, then you don't have to pay it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.