Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Georgia on
Q: I got my first traffic citation. Driving unlicensed and failure to stop at a stop sign. 28 and an immigrant.

Although I’m an immigrant I’ve been here since a newborn

I work as a clinician at an orthodontists office. I have VAWA and have no one representing me and desperately need one. Court date is July 5. September 8 is Jury Trial for 2 other driving unlicensed and speeding and phone in hand. Help.

0 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: I have landlocked property that, on the platt, has an old logging road that connects the property to a county-owned road

I & the previous owner have had unrestricted use of said road. The neighbor who owns the road has no issues. Can I legally put up a gate on the road where it enters my property?

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Georgia on
Q: What do I do if someone is not following a second probate judge order when the first time she did t do anything
Joseph E. Cheeley, III
Joseph E. Cheeley, III PRO label
answered on Jul 2, 2022

Hello, unfortunately, I am unclear who "she" is, whether she is the judge, or whether she is the non-compliant party. If the latter, judge's can enforce their orders by contempt. It depends on the issue what the judge may do.

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Georgia on
Q: What recourse do we have if a family member leaves a dog in our care against our will (refuses to pick him up)?

A family member has left their dog in our care with the understanding that they would come pick him up. They never came and refuse to do so. We do not want the dog and have pleaded several times for them to retrieve him. They refuse to do anything. It has been almost a month and we are considering... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: I am representing myself in small claims court and was wondering what the code for veh damage by a body shop would be.

A body shop caused additional body damage to my car while in their care and just wanted to make sure I had the correct law code when presenting my case.

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: I have a neighbor that is blocking access to my deeded property. He currently is parking 4 vehicles and 2 boats.

Neighbor who owns Lot 3 says this 30' is only an access but shows as my property on the recorded plat from 2003. I bought the property(Known as Lot1) 1/28/21 from previous owner who transferred deed to us. This 30' piece of property line runs approx 300 ft. to the river and shows as Lot1... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Georgia on
Q: Can a lease have one price but also later mention that it could go up at any time in Savannah Georgia?

I signed a lease for 2 years for 1800$ a month an after one year my landlord wants to raise my rent. It does say in the lease that the rent can go up but it gives no specifics just that it could go up at any time. Is this legal?

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Environmental and Public Benefits for Georgia on
Q: What if one left car in Ga. But regstr. For Fl. Was towed frm pvt prop. No consent & owner not contactd to inform >30day

If my vehicle left in ga was registered Florida tag, and was towed off pvt prop. While health & hospitalization in Florida kept me from my vehicle . And I was never informed of the towing taking place by official doc or phone call or email, and it has been 32 days since towing occurred. What... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Wrongful Death for Georgia on
Q: Can phone conversations from a deceased person and the person being sued be used in a civil suit case?

Trying to get what justice any way we can for our daughter that was taken advantaged of and overdosed at perpetrator house. Seeking his home insurance. Investigators never got dna from suspects and we believe there was others at the house at the time of her fatal moments. There was other phones... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
answered on Jul 1, 2022

It will depend on the facts and circumstances of when the phone conversations took place and the substance of the conversations. The hearsay exceptions, regardless if the declarant (i.e., person being sued or daughter) is available to testify, are codified in O.C.G.A. section 24-8-803. The hearsay... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes for Georgia on
Q: Can investigators be sued for not investigating a sexual assault case?

Daughter overdosed at sheriff family members house. 4 suspects on list and none had given any dna. Coroner even had funeral director throw away her clothes and belongs( jewelry ) away after released from autopsy. Even have them in lies of changing the toxicology reports and written reports been... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Georgia on
Q: If you don't know the defendant's address to serve them and the only option left is service by publication,

can you ask the judge to (through a court order) require the defendant's bank to reveal the defendant's physical address on their account?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia on
Q: Will the below info be on my record?

A cop caught my girlfriend and I in her car having sex. I didn't have my ID on me, so he took my name and birthdate and went back to his car. He came back and told us that he wouldn't issue a warning or a citation since our embarrassment was enough of a punishment. Will that be on my... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
answered on Jul 1, 2022

It is possible there will be an administrative record of the stop within the police department records. However, since you were not formally arrested or convicted, the encounter will not likely be public record.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Probate for Georgia on
Q: my mother passed on 10/14/2021 . my brother the excuter of the will he want tell me if she had life insurane

The will said ever thing to be share and share alike between me and my 2 brother. I was living with my mother taking care of her until she passed. they made me he want answer the phone.

0 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Probate for Georgia on
Q: Do I legally have to sign the Acknowledgment of service probate instances as an heir to my uncle's will in Georgia

I live in Idaho now will in Georgia 12 heirs is all their is now because my uncle's only 2 son's are dead they had no kids and my cousin is the executer of the will and it's all family as the heirs. Will made in 2009 my uncle passed 2022 of covid. It is initialed that no other... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: We have a one year occupancy affidavit with the builder. (Not for a lender). We have to sell. Can we?

We bought a new construction home with a high interest temporary loan to obtain a reverse mortgage. We had to wait 6 months to apply for the reverse mortgage and the economy changed dramatically which now made it impossible for us to get the reverse mortgage. We must now sell, but we signed a year... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Georgia on
Q: Should an AT FAULT Insurance company request my social security-# to pay bodily injury claim?
Michael W. Horst
Michael W. Horst
answered on Jun 30, 2022

Yes. It is typical for an at-fault insurance company to request a claimant's social security number. The reason being is the insurer has an obligation, under federal law, to determine whether the injured claimant was enrolled in Medicare. If so, and if Medicare paid any of the medical bills... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: A pipe burst unexpectedly (no negligence). Lease contract specifically says the landlord has no responsibility for

property damaged by either burst pipes or sewage leaks. Is the landlord still liable for property damage, or has the tenant waived any landlord liability in this specific instance?

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Georgia on
Q: My husband and i are over 65. We sold our house, put our belongings at Extra Space storage, and are traveling in Ecuado

The storage place made automatic withdrawals. I recently noticed that they stopped withdrawals in March. We call them and they said that they auctioned our stuff in May for nonpayment. But they made automatic withdrawals. We never got emails or calls about a problem. They would not give us any... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.