Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Contracts Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Can an LMHCA be a 1099 employee if they have someone with administrative oversight and a supervisory?

I have an opportunity to work with a counseling group as a 1099 employee. I would be hired by a person who would also have the ability to fire me at any time. This person would also pay me through the counseling group. I also have a different person who will be my supervisor. If I take this... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Animal / Dog Law for Indiana on
Q: Rescue specified a neuter date 4 days after I adopted a puppy at there clinic 2 hrs away. Can I change date legally,

I signed agreeing but another girl from the rescue told me the date was flexible The main woman says no it’s not and threatened to take me to court if I didn’t take the dog on specified day. I even said I would pay for it and take him closer to home. She said no,I have to go on date and to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Government Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana on
Q: We are losing everything because of our apartment complexes negligence to take care of a bedbug infestation.

Our building is infested with bedbugs. The management won't speak to any of us, our maintenance guy does everything he can to keep up but he's being forced to do two peoples jobs. We had been told at the start of our infestation not to throw anything away because it would be treated, but... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: I run a small business where i i use free fonts online for designs. While i was downloading a font today the file opened

Saying if using for commercial purposes you must buy license for use while it’s on a free platform and can be downloaded for free, my question is do i actually have to since this is a free font on a free platform or will i still be required to buy the license?

Matthew Morris
Matthew Morris
answered on Apr 16, 2022

The fact that a font is available for free online for some purposes does not mean that you can download and use it for free for other purposes. Fonts are considered to be a type of software. Just like other types of software, the person who programmed it can distribute it with license terms,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Indiana on
Q: Can I stay after eviction n also appeal I didn't n couldn't make court this landlord throwing me out
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 30, 2022

I'm sorry your question remains open for two weeks on such an urgent matter. This is something that an Indiana landlord-tenant attorney would have insight into. The question was overlooked under Personal Injury and other categories. If you haven't done so already, you could reach out to a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Formation and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: My dad was the sole owner of an llc. He has since passed away. Do we restructure or start a new one?
Michael Ray Smith
Michael Ray Smith
answered on Jan 16, 2022

A single member LLC is dissolved unless, within 90 days of the member's death, the deceased member's personal representative takes action to designate at least one new member. If an attorney was hired to handle the probate estate, talk to that attorney about it, or contact a lawyer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: having persistent issue of sewers backing up into home for over 5 years in a row, i own the unit , an rent the land
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Nov 7, 2021

I assume you do not want a plumber so you really need to ask a legal question, though it seems apparent you need to have check-valves installed to prevent back-up.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Contracts and Workers' Compensation for Indiana on
Q: Can a place of employment make you sign another offer letter after they got the pay rate wrong on the first?

A company I work for is being bought/transitioned to a new company. Employees are being encouraged to transition over as well, with better pay rates. They have sent out employment offer letters to each employee to sign detailing their individualized pay rates. I received my first one and signed it... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Oct 7, 2021

This is question of Contract Law. Workers' Compensation deals exclusively with work-related injuries. If you were offered $16.30 per hour and you accepted that rate of pay, the must pay you $16.30 for all hours worked from the date you accepted the offer to the date that they changed their... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Bankruptcy and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana on
Q: My wages are being garnished from me forgetting to take my name off the lease that my ex shared. How can I stop this?

I moved out of my apartment after I broke up with an ex a while ago. He stayed. I forgot to take my name of the lease and he can't keep a job, so now the creditors are coming after me. They've garnished my wages and now I can't afford food or gas. Please, what can I do to fix this?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jul 29, 2021

File a chapter 7 or Chapter 13 to terminate the garnishment.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: 2 months after serve out of parole in Kentucky, Indiana parole office along with two Tell City, Ind. officers.

Kick in my dad's house, handcuff and hold at gun point my little brother and go through all my father's residence, property and garages. My buddy's house is kicked in and searched and my house is doors rammed off the hinges and completely tossed upside down to the point of... Read more »

Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
answered on May 11, 2021

I'd suggest consulting with a civil rights attorney who is familiar with 1983 actions. Keep in mind you have a time limit to put the agencies on notice.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Estate Planning for Indiana on
Q: Can you have a Co-Agent durable power of attorney in Indiana, and is there such a thing as "oral power of attorney"?

My mother is currently in the hospital, and there is the possibility of her dying. My sister and I want to be co-agents on a durable power of attorney.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on Jan 21, 2021

You can definitely be co-agents. If you do that, be sure the POA is clear on whether you have independent authority or must act together.

You would not meet with any success trying to get any third party to honor an "oral" power of attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Indiana on
Q: Can the city decided to cancel the contract and do the demolition themselves.?

I have a contract with the city parks and recreation to tare down 2 horse barns, for the lumber. No cost to the city. I still have to pay my employees. No finish/completion date was set in the contract. Can the park superintendent decide to have city employees take the barns down an cancel the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 28, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, but you await an answer for four weeks. It could depend on the terms of the contract, particularly if it contained any provisions for cancellation. One option might be to review the contract with an Indiana attorney. COVID-related defenses have been used in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Can my husband sue for breach of contract and possible discrimination?

Last year my husband signed a 2 year painting contract with a possible 2 more years of work with a retirement facility. According to my husband in the contract it states if they choose to let him go they need to give him 3 months notice. As of now we can't find the contract, but he believes... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 2, 2020

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Anyone can bring a lawsuit. But it would be useful to have the contract beforehand. A reputable attorney would want to see the contract to determine if there was a breach, and to also make certain there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: signed up for dance lessons in Jan through May. I paid in advance.they refuse to give me partial refund

Signed up in january- for classes once a week until end of may.

They switched to online classes but since i have hardwood floors and not a lot of space and i was doing tap dance i asked for a refund, they said this was not to be inplace of a dance class. that it was just to keep your body... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 11, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, as consumer issues could involve state law. But as a general matter of contract law, it could depend on how the agreement was written, in terms of how it addressed certain unforeseeable or foreseeable intervening events. These types of situations have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Indiana on
Q: Policy coverage dispute question: I cancelled my homeowner's insurance the same day I bought a new policy...

The new company could not insure me until 12:00 a.m., meaning the next day. The acknowledgement of cancellation from the prior company states my policy is cancelled at 12:01 a.m. the day I cancelled which is technically before I cancelled. My mortgage company is requiring proof of insurance for... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 14, 2020

Unfortunately, the use of those figures alone, as a general practice, could leave too much open to interpretation. If possible, it might be best to have them clarify in writing what the last full day of coverage is and what the first full day of coverage is with the respective carriers, rather than... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Indiana on
Q: How do I obtain previously recorded phone calls of myself when I was incarcerated in order to use them in court?

I'm trying to obtain a transcript or audio of these calls and have been informed Indiana law allows me to as they are public record.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 5, 2020

In Florida all you have to do is ask in writing.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Is it legal to use art for commercial use from a minor, if said art was bought as a comission?

We're making a show, and for the show we need art, we have a very talented artist that wants to help us but the problem is they are underage. We're wondering is it possible to use the art from the minor for commercial use if we bought it as a commission? If not, would we have to end up... Read more »

Barbara Berschler
Barbara Berschler
answered on May 17, 2020

When you say "use" the art, what do you mean? You are able to resell a painting, like you could resell a book. However, buying the item does not give you rights in the copyright associated with the work.

Because a minor is involved, you need to tread carefully. Minors are not...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.