Stockbroker Fraud Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Stockbroker Fraud Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Identity Theft, Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Nevada on
Q: Rollover IRA checks mailed to the wrong PO BOX by OneAmerica and were electronically deposited by someone else.

Back in October, I started a rollover IRA with my previous employer’s retirement services company, OneAmerica. Unfortunately, OneAmerica sent the checks (payable to Fidelity FBO w my name on them) to an incorrect PO BOX (1 number off). These checks were electronically deposited by the owner of... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Dec 29, 2021

You may have more trouble getting your rollover IRA money back than you had hoped. Why?

Because it was deposited electronically (without prejudice) and credited to some unknown person's account at Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., which is notorious for holding onto money not supposed to be...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Arkansas on
Q: I trade options at my online broker. A bad trade yesterday that cost me $8000.00 due to a mistake by my broker.

I made an options call purchase on the 16th at market price. The seller was asking .20 cents per contract (100 shares) After putting in several limit orders in for up to .24 cents that were rejected I put in a market order which normally fills within a percent or so of the asking. When my order was... Read more »

David Mark Gaba
David Mark Gaba answered on Dec 30, 2021

Have you reviewed your entire contract with your broker-dealer? Depending on the specific language they may have been within their rights to fill your order.

2 Answers | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Michigan on
Q: I have a digital currency account through a platform named coinbase.

About 6 weeks ago they blocked led my account due to someone other than me trying to access it. I have contacted them several times. The first time they emailed me back with some generic help to open my account back up. That did not work now they wont email me back despite the several emails I have... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 13, 2021

Depending upon the amount of money involved it might be possible to fix this situation--by hiring a very experienced lawyer who has a commercial banking background to "run interference" for you.

If the lawyer you hire is experienced enough to know how to convince the bank's...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud on
Q: I have been scammed by

Good day,

I'm writing to complain about possible scam by toptrade group. I just realized that I have been scammed after I requested for withdraw of some of the profits I made during trading.

I have deposited in total amount $7,001.59 usd and after several tradings and... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 1, 2021

What you just did is called "locking the barn after the horses have been stolen."

As you found out, "Top Trade" is a well-known world-wide scam of the finest kind. The Good news is that you only lost your initial deposit of $7,000.

Standard advice for novice...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for New Jersey on
Q: Can an execution-only company operate without a broker license? Handling the execution of copying securities trades
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Jun 23, 2021

There is no legal trading of any securities without a valid license for the appropriate security. If you do not have the right license for example to trade futures, and you do, then you have a serious problem. Don't do it!

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud for California on
Q: Who investigates false documents and fraud done to the deceased

Yeah because I have reason to believe that my father's name was changed my mother's name was changed and then they made everything look that way now people are benefiting from everything that's written on the story and then it appears that my father and my mother the identity was... Read more »

Joseph Abrams
Joseph Abrams answered on Jun 20, 2021

Most fraud offenses can be investigated by either local or federal authorities. If you have evidence of a criminal fraud or identity theft, you can begin by reporting that evidence to either your local police department of FBI field office.

- Law Office of Joseph Abrams, Anaheim, CA

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Texas on
Q: Problem with investment group. Need to get money owed but SEC involved. Now what?

Have a contract with group. Hired a lawyer previously, but because amount owed was below $150,000, they did not advise to pursue through court. How do I get my money?

Richard  Frankowski
Richard Frankowski answered on Jun 7, 2021

You should look at the contract you have with your investment group. Most firms include an arbitration provision in their contracts. If your firm is regulated by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), you likely will have to pursue any claims in a FINRA arbitration. I hope this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Stockbroker Fraud and Trademark for Louisiana on
Q: Can you sue Robinhood for outages during an all-time high on funds for fraudulence activity and negligence, if any more?

Recently I invested $1000 into Dogecoin as it was at its lowest of 0.19 and just today this cryptocurrency has just reached its all-time high of 0.60. And because of the surge of this high buying for Dogecoin, Robinhood's crypto services went out and I couldn't sell nor buy during this... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 5, 2021

Sure, anyone can sue anyone else; so f you have $400,000 I am sure you can find a bunch of security lawyers willing to try to slay a giant. But you need to forget about "bribery" and "string-attached manipulation."

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Q: Do I have civil or criminal liability if I unknowingly referred someone to an investment that turned out to be a scam?

The person I referred lost money. I did not receive any money from the person I referred or the investor.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 26, 2021

There are attorneys on this board who are knowledgeable in securities-related matters who could best advise, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a GENERAL premise, for someone to be liable for scamming or defrauding someone, it usually has to be shown that they had an intent to deceive or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Kansas on
Q: Is it legal for a stock brokerage to restrict the purchase of stock? I can sell, but not purchase. Market manipulation?

I was able to buy this particular stock in the pre-hours, but once the market closed I was unable to purchase more of the identical stock. I can, however, sell my already purchased stock (at a loss). How is this not someone choosing to make me a loser by locking me in where I am?

No... Read more »

Ross B. Intelisano
Ross B. Intelisano answered on Jan 29, 2021

It depends on what your customer agreement states. Often the agreements provide broad discretion for the firms to limit purchases of stocks.

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for California on
Q: i hired a moving service to bring my stuff from miami to san diego and so far since december 1st they haven't shown up
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jan 28, 2021

First, this is not "Stockbroker Fraud". If you do not select the correct category, then attorneys that handle that kind of case do not get a notice. Next, Moving companies are federally licensed, you should look up your company on the internet and you will find out a lot about them,... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois on
Q: Is it illegal for me to give a friend my login credentials for my brokerage account and have him trade for me?
Samuel B. Edwards
Samuel B. Edwards answered on Nov 17, 2020

It is not "illegal" to share your login credentials, but it is likely a violation of your brokerage account agreement. Most brokerage account agreements contain language that says you agree you will not share your login information with a third party. So, it could be a breach of your... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Idaho on
Q: Edward Jones has placed a 10 day hold on a very large cash amount that I deposited in a portfolio account.

I would like to withdraw a portion of it but was told it needs to be held there for ten days due to possible money laundering???

Ross B. Intelisano
Ross B. Intelisano answered on Oct 13, 2020

It depends on what your customer agreement states. Most firms have broad discretion to hold onto funds if there are AML issues. You may want to be very active with your broker to find out what is happening.

2 Answers | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud and Securities Law for Texas on
Q: Can a broker (Charles Schwab) randomly closed my broker account.

I have my 401K and a 529 account with Charles Schwab. I opened a new acct on the 25th of Sept to attempt to trade. On the 6th they blocked my account for "fraudulent" reasons and the investigative team we supposed to call back within 48 hrs to discuss the matter. After several calls for... Read more »

Robert W. Pearce
Robert W. Pearce answered on Oct 12, 2020

You need to put them on Notice in writing of your objection to the freeze, remind them you have open positions and your intention to sue them for any and all damages unless they take your orders and unfreeze the account or hire an attorney to do that immediately.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Q: Is HNO a scam

I invited with HNO

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 28, 2020

It would be best for an attorney in the area you posted in to advise. But with the question remaining open for three weeks, it's possible that financial advisors or investment brokers might be more familiar with this than attorneys. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Tennessee on
Q: What is insider trading? And if I’m buying and selling stocks am I at risk if I buy and sell stocks based on what I see?

Example if I buy stocks in apple after a lawsuit or a product flop when stocks low and turn around and sell the stocks when they release a new product when stocks are high. Is that insider trading??

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq. answered on Aug 2, 2020

Based on your statement, it looks like you are asking if insider trading is buying or selling stocks based on what you, as a member of the general public sees, for example, on the news. That is not insider trading. Insider trading would be if you are an employee of Apple, for example, and you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Delaware on
Q: I'm wondering how to get an injunction to stop a bankruptcy recently filed in Delaware by Vivus, Inc.

The creditor (IEH) with the collusion of management is grossly undervaluing assets (3 separate FDA approved drugs and one pipeline drug) more properly valued at $500M. Management was to have refinanced the $170M debt already but due to gross negligence or complicity with creditor failed to do so.... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jul 14, 2020

Firstly, a forum like this is an inadequate place to answer a complex question such as yours.

If you--and other stockholders--are aggrieved then you need to hire your own lawyer to appear on your behalf to address the issues. There is no way to enjoin the progress of a bankruptcy--only to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Florida on
Q: question about advisory

Can I make membership based content (for instance on and share my stock market trading signals that I use to buy/sell with disclaimer that I am not investment/financial advisor, will I be under the risk of penalty?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 26, 2020

The area of law you are flirting with is fraught with great danger; those who do not retain an experienced lawyer BEFORE stepping into the line of fire very often greatly regret doing so. Advising the public on how to buy and sell securities is the job that licensed stock brokers and brokerage... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Identity Theft and Stockbroker Fraud for New York on
Q: What should I do? My account is frozen cause I was given fraud checks and bank took my money when they decline the check

So I was given two checks for a side job I deposit it to my account and they decline next day I was called that the check’s were fraud but they bank never gave me the money. I gave them the emails and address of where I gotten them and they froze my account. When I login into my account I had... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on May 14, 2020

If you never got the money and the checks were declined, the bank must suspect you for fraud. There is something not right but if the whole matter is over $110 there is little a lawyer can do. When the courts reopen, make a small claims suit.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for Texas on
Q: When Transfer my IRA plan to my new employer retirement, about 30 thousand dollars were missing . I need legal advice
Ross B. Intelisano
Ross B. Intelisano answered on May 1, 2020

That's terrible. I recommend that you find an attorney in Texas to help you. There is an organization called PIABA made up of lawyers who represent investors. Here is the website. You can search for a local lawyer on the website. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.