Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Kansas Consumer Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Kansas on
Q: if a bank repossesses a vehicle and decides not to take the vehicle after all should i be notified of this?

the bank repossessed my motorcycle. after the tow lot took possession the bank no longer wanted the vehicle. the are now garnishing my check and i was never notified of this change. the bank abandoned the motorcycle at the tow lot and now they want $3k in storage fees. is this legal?

0 Answers | Asked in Identity Theft, Consumer Law and Contracts for Kansas on
Q: Who or what type of lawyer would I call and get some legal questions answered against companies that do loans.

Lenders that give small business loans who is the person to contact if you feel like a loan is not right

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Legal rights for tenant in Kansas?

I signed a lease back in December to begin on January 2023. I paid my rent on December 27th… early! I received a 3 day notice to cure. The charges outlined listed a $30 late fee, $100 month to month fee. How can they charge this if I’m on a lease? What rights do I have? The office is claiming... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Consumer Law for Kansas on
Q: We contacted lender to voluntarily repo our truck. We then parked it where it could be towed and dropped the insurance

The next day the truck was gone and we thought the lender took it. Several days later the lender said they did not have the truck and it must be stolen and to report it to the police which we did. The truck has not been located. Now the lender is contacting us. What are our options?

Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
answered on Dec 15, 2022

Without seeing the loan agreement that discusses remedies in the event of theft, perhaps the asker owes the full cost of the vehicle minus payments made.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Education Law for Kansas on
Q: Can I sue my University? I have a degree from this university, they are blocking my from applying for their jobs.

I earned a degree from my local university. I have not been able to get a job in my field and now after applying for 100+ jobs on their website over the last 15 years, their application portal will mysteriously not let me apply for anymore and nobody can figure out why. Can I sue them for... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jul 1, 2022

You’re going to need some in depth research and data to prove that the degree is worthless or that the university is blocking your efforts to find a job. May be a tough row to hoe.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Civil Rights and Education Law for Kansas on
Q: Can I sue a University if there degree is useless and didn't advance my career?

I'm in healthcare and have been a clinical associate, CNA and dental assistant. I graduated KU with a 147 credit bachelors of general studies. Now I have a bunch of student debt and the only jobs available for me pay the same or less than before I received my degree and I'm at risk of... Read more »

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
answered on Dec 15, 2020

On the few facts you provide, it seems that you got what you enrolled and paid for at KU. I assume that you chose your field of study leading to your degree.

That may change somewhat if you have something from KU, in writing, promising you a better paying job/career than what you already...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Personal Injury and Products Liability for Kansas on
Q: Rental car>Bad Tags>Pulled over>Charged with FIP>Car Impounded>Jailed

Rented a car and was pulled over due to bad tags. Children's mother forgot firearm. Now being charged with felon in possession. I thought my car was supposed to have valid tags. Now facing multiple felonies.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 19, 2020

A Kansas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks and time is of the essence in your actions. Reach out to a Kansas City criminal defense attorney, or if qualifying based on need, you could look into whether you are eligible for a public defender. Good luck... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: live in apt comp & haven’t had a lease for a year. Got notice that my rent will increase by $75 w/o one Can they?

My lease expired a year ago. They rent the apt for $775, (for the new addition, I live in the old apts) new year lease states that rent is $790, month to month is $840 and if I don’t sign either then the rent will go up an additional $25/mo. Can they do this? Should I move to the new apartments... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on Jun 20, 2020

If you are occupying a premises on a month to month basis, in most places the LL can change the terms of your occupancy by providing you with the notice required under the document. When you hold over after a lease expires, you are usually on the same as a month to month tenancy, unless the lease... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Kansas on
Q: What happens in Kansas if failure to pay and return items to Rent-A-Center?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Feb 2, 2020

Probably the same thing that would happen in Florida: the Rent-a-Center can file a criminal complaint for stealing as well as sue you for breach of contract.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Kansas on
Q: Is my case most likely going to yield a large settlement?

Not to go into too much detail.. but I am pursuing a lawsuit against a vape company for a severe diagnosis; I have done almost everything I need to do on my end before I sign the contingency agreement; the last step is to have a doctor that the lawyer works with examine me to confirm the diagnosis.... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 30, 2019

This is a question that a plaintiff naturally wonders about in any case - what will the settlement or jury verdict be? Your attorney could have a better idea of the value of the case once discovery has been completed and it is ready for the trial calendar. At that point, or possibly sooner,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Kansas on
Q: There are several nail salons in Wichita Kansas that refuse to honor gift certificates past one year of issuance.

What can be done about that? Who do I talk to ?

Adam Savett
Adam Savett
answered on Sep 5, 2019

Kansas has a gift card / gift certificate expiration law (KS Stat § 50-6,108) that states:

Gift certificates or gift cards; regulation of; exceptions; definitions. (a) On and after January 1, 2007, no person, firm, partnership, association or corporation shall sell a gift certificate or...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Energy, Oil and Gas for Kansas on
Q: I have a clean record yet im being denied energy because of someone who lives with me that has an old overdue billlegal?

Even if he leaves i will have to prove he lives somewhere else which will leave me powerless for an extended time. Can i just be denied service on a hunch like this?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 25, 2019

That seems like a very high level of scrutiny if the account is in your name, you are not married, or don't have joint ties that could come up in any type of reports. In large cities where electric utilities serve millions of ratepayers, they don't generally track each and every member of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Kansas on
Q: I bought a lawn mower from sears a week after i got it the battery won't stay charged they came out two times to look at

It are they still obligated to fix it

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 18, 2019

That's a very short period of time within which to experience a mechanical problem. As a reputable company, Sears would probably want to work with you toward resolving a problem that materialized so soon after purchase. Ask if they have the means to elevate the issue to a higher level of tech... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Land Use & Zoning for Kansas on
Q: Can a business block my way into my garage?

I've been driving across a vacant city lot for 30 years, a business came in and built their building going 10 feet into the easement of the alley. There was no notice when they were going to build this building and block my access into my garage. I am disabled and the situation of not being... Read more »

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
answered on Jun 4, 2019

Your statement seems to indicate the following: You have a garage that opens into an alleyway. A business built a bulding that extends into the alleyway that blocks access to your access. Your access has previously included access through a vacant city lot for 30 years. It is a little unclear as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Kansas on
Q: Bayview loan servicer not applying payments

Bayview loan servicing acquired our property in 2016. It was originally inc,used in a bankruptcy it we stayed in the home paying the monthly payment. Later, I fell on financial struggles which cause me to get behind in my payments. A short while later I was approved for mortgage modification &... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 30, 2019

Hire a mortgage defense lawyer and let him handle it for you. You may have several options.

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Defense, Car Accidents, Consumer Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Kansas on
Q: What to expect for an Examination under Oath?

My husbands car got stolen back in September and was burnt when the police found it. Our insurance Geico, Totaled The car out to be $10,000 somewhere in that ball park. There’s gap insurance on the car... It’s been going on two months and they are finally finishing up the investigation but... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Nov 15, 2017

They will try to get him to say he torched it--which is dumb because replacement costs more. Contact a member of the Ks Assn for Justice who handles "bad faith" claims --they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Kansas on
Q: My husband opened and used a credit card account in my name, without my consent. What can I do?
Brian Leininger
Brian Leininger
answered on Sep 26, 2017

Assuming you want him to be criminally prosecuted for it, gather all of the papers you have regarding this account and go to your local police and make a police report.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Consumer Law and Real Estate Law for Kansas on
Q: i just found out my home has been sold for unpaid taxes, and i didnt know anything about it what can i do?
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
answered on Aug 11, 2017

The initial sale of the house is to the county for the back taxes. There is a period of time in which the owner of the property may redeem the property. You should contact an attorney immediately to determine (a) when the sale took place; (b) the exact period of redemption you have; (c) the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Probate for Kansas on
Q: What is the law regarding a decreased person and a car note, when the bank fails to get the car for almost 2 years?

My father passed away almost two years ago. He left a car with a loan on it and the bank has failed to get it. They have set on my mother's property fore almost 2 years now. Is there anything that we can do to take ownership of the car, or file something against the bank for storage fees?

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
answered on Jun 27, 2017

There are appropriate procedures to transfer ownership of the vehicle and to quiet title to the vehicle. How to proceed would depend on the assets involved and the value of the assets involved. If the bank perfected its security interest in the car by recording a lien on the car title, that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Consumer Law and Contracts for Kansas on
Q: How to obtain car title or court order for a car i just purchased?

I bought a car from a guy in Kansas and i have the Bill of Sale, 2 other witnesses, registration papers, and insurance papers. I need to obtain the title but he didn't have it and to him it'll take him $200 to obtain them since he says he needs to drive to Topeka to sign papers. I call BS... Read more »

Rick Davis
Rick Davis
answered on Apr 27, 2017

The only way to obtain a title if he doesn't provide one is to file a quiet title suit. A quiet title suit is a legal proceeding where you ask the court to declare you the owner of the vehicle. Kansas legal services has a guide on how to file these suits. Here is a link to that information:... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.