Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Dakota Civil Litigation Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for North Dakota on
Q: I was racially profiled at a hotel and accused of selling drugs and the manger allowed a warrant to be used to come

Detain me and destroy my property not to mention no drugs where found or evidence that drugs were being sold i actually had an officer tell me that was profiled because of where I was from and how I looked can I take any legal action towards this ?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 9, 2021

You need an attorney to make a motion on the issue in the criminal case

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for North Dakota on
Q: I am in North Dakota and I decided to sell my 05 Honda Pilot but I had problem with the buyer and I repoed the car

I decided to help this girl and gave her a very deep slash on the price. The main reason I gave her such a price was that it would help her and it would honor my wife as i think she would approve, I had to speed up the sell and I asked her for $600 down and $400 to come and they agreed and I told... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Apr 7, 2020

Sounds civil

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for North Dakota on
Q: I reported animal cruelty on my sons landlords now I'm being harassed threatened

I reported animal cruelty on my sons landlords to the sheriffs department. The deputy gave them my name that I was in to file a complaint now I'm being harassed, threatened, and assaulted and the sheriff department will do nothing. I have called them 9 times in last 4 months because of them... Read more »

Stefan Dunkelgrun
Stefan Dunkelgrun answered on Aug 24, 2018

Document every interaction, log the time, date, the person involved, and the nature of the incident. Also document every interaction with the police. Bonus points if you have any other evidence, such as phone records.

Once you have sufficient documentation, if the police are not willing...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Products Liability and Civil Rights for North Dakota on
Q: i would like to know if i have a court case or not. i was given false information and was promised 400,000 for 3500.00

this person does not live in the states and claims to work with (PCH) Publishers Clearing House. I have all the information and all the promises this person had made including the address of were he told me to send the money. plus full names and almost full locations and phone numbers of two... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 18, 2018

If they are located in the United States, you should contact law-enforcement in the city in which they are located. This is clearly a scam.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for North Dakota on
Q: I loaned some sound equipment to an acquaintance. I am ready to have it back, but Ive been told it is now an hours driv

I did not give permission for it to leave this area, nor was I notified when it did. Is there a legal way to force him to return the equipment to the place he picked it up?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on May 16, 2018

Yes, tell him that you want your equipment back and give him a reasonable time limit (ten days, thirty days, etc.) to return it back to you. Inform him that you will report it has been stolen if he fails to return the equipment.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Constitutional Law for North Dakota on
Q: On 02/15/2018 my paycheck was garnished in the amount of $430.

I was never notified by my employer nor the company that put a judgement against me. The company is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. I have been a resident of Minot, North Dakota for 3 years. On 02/23/2018 I went down to talk to Human resources and they told me that the garnishment has been... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Mar 2, 2018

You hire a lawyer who deals with debt collection issues for consumers and see if they can get your money back.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for North Dakota on
Q: If a case is dismissed without prejudice, how long does the plaintiff have to refile? Is there a "statute of limitation?
Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson answered on Feb 9, 2018

North Dakota statute of limitation is often one or two years. Generally, the plaintiff may refile as long as the case is refiled before the statute of limitations has ran.

This is general legal information, and I am unable to render adequate legal advice without discussing at length the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Criminal Law for North Dakota on
Q: If you have a public data record what does it mean doc #6 and doc#7 after a bench warrant and a sherriff return
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jan 1, 2018

What you are seeing is a document record listing, not the record itself. The document you are referring to is likely a bench warrant for your arrest. You will need a criminal defense lawyer.

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Collections for North Dakota on
Q: My son damaged a vehicle while at school. What is my responsibilities and what are my rights in the matter?

My son damaged a vehicle while at school. I wasn't informed till the next day. I was told i wouldn't have to pay anything. Few days later I received a letter from the insurance company and they want $1500 and that if i dont pay they’ll take my drivers license. Never received a call... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 29, 2017

Send a polite but crisp letter asking them to provide proof of the damage. However, if you have homeowners or vehicle insurance you will want to hand this over to them. If your son did the act, you may wish to consider talking to a therapist/counselor about how to appropriately discipline your son... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for North Dakota on
Q: Do I have a legal right if I have two kids to live in our leased twinhome over my spouse?

We recently separated. Living with relatives for the past week, I have two kids with me. Me, my 19year old, and my spouse are on the lease. Do I have any rights because I have kids, one under 18. Or are we supposed to be homeless.

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Dec 18, 2017

You need to call an attorney to address this question. Adequate advice for this issue cannot be provided online.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for North Dakota on
Q: Is restricting parenting time an appropriate means to compell a party? Can contempt takeplace on phone w/out motion

Judge stated i was not unfit nor was it likely i would harm kids. I rescheduled an appt. Once which did not stand in violation of any order. I notified the guardian when she asked. She told opposing counsel who by letter requested a hearing . the letter included the date for rescheduled test... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Aug 24, 2017


1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Contracts for North Dakota on
Q: Is a stipulation signed by all parties concerned a contract
Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson answered on Dec 18, 2017

Most likely yes. If a contract is a bargained for exchange among multiple parties, then it will likely be an enforceable contract. This is general legal advice. Adequate legal advice can only be given after meeting with the client and discussing all the facts of his or her situation. Good luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation, Collections and Probate for North Dakota on
Q: Dad died 15 months ago in ND and step mom died this month. no children together. Next of kin is? Her mom is alive but 90

They had no children together but married over 20 years. Step moms mother is alive but is 90 and lives in nursing home (possibly mentally incompetent) . She has no birth or legally adopted children and no will or trust. Who is her next of next of kin?. Since its going to probate could i contest and... Read more »

Jim Ed "Jed" Franklin
Jim Ed "Jed" Franklin answered on Feb 6, 2017

Your question is missing some important information, feel free to contact me via email so I can better answer it. But generally, you should have some interest in your father's estate, though it sounds like there is not much in it. If so, then the "spousal share" may eat up all of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.