Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers by State

Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers

Q: In a Maritime case filed in Illinois, what, if anything, must litigant file before filing complaint?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Illinois on
Answered on Sep 8, 2018
T. J. Jesky's answer
In order to prevail under maritime law you need to prove negligence. This involves convincing a judge and/or jury that the defendant failed to take action that should have been taken, or by proving that the defendant did not apply proper safety measures. A person is considered liable for all damages caused by their negligence for not doing what a “reasonable” person would have done under similar conditions.

That being said, you should first contact the wrong-doer to see if they...

Q: What is the statute of limitations under the Jones Act for injuries at sea?

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Answered on Sep 7, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
The statute of limitations for Jones Act cases is generally three years. This is a general answer and there are exceptions. If you are inquiring beyond learning general information, and you were in fact injured aboard a vessel, you should immediately consult with a attorney who is knowledgeable in this area. There are exceptions to the general three year-statute of limitations. Further, a claimant must satisfy certain conditions to be considered a Jones Act seaman. If you were injured aboard a...

Q: How are boating "DUIs" handled in NY?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Answered on Sep 1, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
Boating “DUIs” are handled under a legislative framework similar to that for vehicular DUIs on the state's roadways. Operating a vessel in New York under the influence of alcohol or drug is subject to criminal prosecution that can carry prison terms, penalties, and fines. For these offenses, the terms BWI (Boating While Intoxicated) and BWAI (Boating While Ability Impaired) are used. The offenses are distinguished from one another by a defendant's blood alcohol level (BAC). Statutory BAC...

Q: I slipped and fell on the Staten Island Ferry. Because the accident happened at sea, will it be treated differently?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Answered on Sep 1, 2018
Timur Akpinar's answer
The accident can be treated differently because accidents on ferries that operate on navigable waters are subject to maritime law. While maritime law follows some of the same doctrines and legal concepts that avail themselves in general law, such as negligence and comparative liability, it also presents legal concepts that are uniquely maritime in nature, such as unseaworthiness or shipowner’s limitation of liability. Limitation of liability was raised by the City of New York in the tragic...

Q: If two ships collide and I get injured while working on one, can I sue my employer for my injuries or would I need to

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Answered on Jul 25, 2018
Gordon Charles Webb's answer
It depends on a lot of things, for example was your employer at fault, are they properly paying your maintenance and cure, was the other vessel at fault. These and other questions need to discussed with a maritime lawyer.

Q: Can a bankruptcy court go back and tell a corporation they have to compensate smaller stockholders

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Admiralty / Maritime, Energy, Oil and Gas and Mergers & Acquisitions for Florida on
Answered on Jul 6, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
The court has the power to consider such repayment as you ask, but it is highly unlikely they would exercise it based on the above.

Q: If I was injured while at sea but the boat owner isn't a US citizen, can I still sue in US court?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Answered on Jul 5, 2018
Michael A. Winkleman's answer
It depends. It doesn't really matter whether the shipowner is a US citizen, what matters is how much contact the boat has with the US or any particular state, in order to determine whether there is jurisdiction.

Are you a passenger or a crewmember?

Q: why does an attorney not disclose the fact that a man or woman is submitted to the jurisdiction of court once hired?

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Traffic Tickets and Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Answered on Jul 1, 2018
Zev Goldstein's answer
We need more details here. Are you talking about criminal Court? Civil Court? Another type of case?

Generally, in criminal cases, an attorney has a lot of discretion in how to handle a case and does not need a defendant's consent to take legal actions. An attorney does need to consult with a defendant for some things, for instance, whether to take a plea deal.

Q: Do district courts still have original jurisdiction over acts of piracy committed on international waters?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, International Law and Criminal Law for New York on
Answered on Jun 14, 2018
Aubrey Claudius Galloway's answer
Probably not, unless said courts are in the same physical jurisdiction where the ship that was victimized is registered. The court of original jurisdiction is where the (non-pirate) ship is registered. For example, many cruse lines register native to the Bahamas; if one of those vessels were attacked by pirates, the Bahamas is where legal action could be entertained.

Hope that helps,

Aubrey C. Galloway III, Esq.

(914) 912-1555

Q: How long do I have to file a claim if I get injured while working on a fishing boat?

4 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Answered on Jun 11, 2018
Gordon Charles Webb's answer
3 years for a Jones Act claim. Consult with a maritime attorney ASAP.

Q: If someone boards my vessel without permission, then refuses to leave, how may I legally evict them?

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime on
Answered on Jun 9, 2018
Gordon Charles Webb's answer
Depending upon additional facts and the particular jurisdiction, probably best to call the local authorities, i.e. Coast Guard, police or sheriff before saying or attempting much other than instructing the individual to leave. Be sure to have a credible witness who can attest to the reasonableness of your actions.

Q: I was injured on a fishing boat, but the boat owner is claiming they're not liable for my medical bills because I was

3 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Answered on May 30, 2018
Gordon Charles Webb's answer
No, as long as you were employed in the service of the vessel your medical bills are covered under the general maritime law doctrine of maintenance and cure.

Q: Can a credit dispute halt an ongoing suit in court ?

2 Answers | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Consumer Law, Small Claims and Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Answered on May 21, 2018
William John Light's answer
This mostly unintelligible. You can dispute a debt in a collection matter, if that is what you are asking. Don't see how a credit report pertains to that.

Q: Is the Death On The High Seas Act a claim a family member can file in addition to a wrongful death claim, or instead of

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Answered on May 18, 2018
Michael A. Winkleman's answer
They are practically the same thing. If a death occurs on the high seas you must file a lawsuit under the death on the high seas act. There are very few exceptions to this.

Q: If I was injured as a result of one of my crewmate's negligence but they have no assets, can I sue the ship owner for

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Answered on May 2, 2018
Michael H. Joseph's answer
Yes. The employer and ship are both liable for a crew injury.

Q: Can I be arrested if I left a cruise ship in Jamaica owing them $6000?

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Florida on
Answered on Apr 26, 2018
Gordon Charles Webb's answer
Sheriffs usually don't run around making false threats without acting, but if he is for real - and not some rent a cop - you might respectfully ask him for his basis. . . . . We would need more information, i.e. did you destroy property or just drink to much?

Q: I tried to file my maritime injury suit 14 months after i was injured but the other party claims I'm beyond the statute

2 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for Texas on
Answered on Apr 23, 2018
Joseph S. Stacey's answer
Are you a "passenger" on a cruise ship? Most often, a passenger's personal injury case is governed by a one year statute of limitation. A "seaman" has a three year statute of limitation.

Q: If I am injured at sea, what type of medical benefits am I entitled to?

4 Answers | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for New York on
Answered on Apr 14, 2018
Joseph S. Stacey's answer
If you are a seaman and you are injured or become ill “while in the service of the vessel,” you are entitled to receive paid medical care, maintenance (a daily rate which is supposed to cover room and board), unearned wages (wages through your contract period of employment), and repatriation costs to the point of hire. There are only a few exceptions to payment of these entitlements. Also, a union contract can dictate a maintenance rate. Maintenance and medical expenses must be paid...

Q: How do I ask an Ohio court to determine if a water way is or is not "navigable"?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Admiralty / Maritime for Ohio on
Answered on Apr 9, 2018
Joseph Jaap's answer
You possibly could file an action for a "declaratory judgment" with a court. There might be different definitions of "navigable waters of the US" that have been determined in different court rulings applying EPA and other federal and state laws and regulations. A definition in one court decision might conflict with a definition in a different court decision. Get am OH watercraft license and talk to ODNR if the answer is not on its web site:

Q: Daughter and son n law filed for divorce. Judge signed March 12, 2018. They have changed their minds. Lawyer says Judge

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Admiralty / Maritime for Alabama on
Answered on Apr 6, 2018
Mr. James Parrish Coleman's answer
If the wife and husband agree. then they file a motion under Rule 59, ARCP to vacate the divorce judgment -- THIS MUST BE FILED NO LATER THAN 30 DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF THE DIVORCE DECREE. If they both agree, you don't need a reason.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.