Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Florida Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Libel & Slander and Sexual Harassment for Florida on
Q: I how a question for a lawyer please answer my questions please look in more information

can you fund out how a judge can make an attorney that I have gotten rid of twice can make that same attorney my legal advisor in the courtroom if I have any questions when I have stated in court that I do not want the public defenders office anywhere near my case in anyway and that I would like a... Read more »

Justin Gary Hausler
Justin Gary Hausler answered on May 4, 2020

You can request a Nelson Hearing to ask that the attorney be discharged. If the attorney is not successfully discharged, or you hire your own, the judge can allow the attorney to remain on the file as "stand by" counsel even if you decide to represent yourself. You are entitled to have an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Personal Injury, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Hello, I have somewhat of an online presence and someone that I used to speak to as a friend has decided to leak my nude

photos from OnlyFans (a protected site that subscriptions are payed for) as well as has leaked my previous home address, phone number, and still constantly harasses me via twitter through multiple accounts.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Apr 27, 2020

You should report to the police.

As far as leaking photos, you should consider filing for copyright registration and sue him for infringement.

You should consult with an attorney quick.


2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Libel & Slander and Native American Law for Florida on
Q: Hi, On March 15 I went into a Pawn Shop to purchase a Firearm and was denied the sale because of my race & religion.

On March 15, I went into a local Pinellas County Pawn Shop and was denied my 2nd amendment right to purchase a firearm because my Concealed Weapons License stated that I was White. The Pawn Shop salesman stated that I "Looked black to him" and "There's a black guy standing in... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Apr 22, 2020

You may have a case. More facts would be needed. Of course if the employee denied you service on the basis that your identification did not match your picture on the concealed weapons permit then they may have a non discriminatory reason for denying you service. More facts are needed. Discuss with... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Health Care Law and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: How long are voicemails retained? How much time passes before they can no longer be subpoenaed?

One is Assurance Wireless under Virgin Mobile under Sprint

The other is Bay Pines VA Center Carrier unknown.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Mar 30, 2020

Why not ask them?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: We had to have our carpet cleaned because of scabbies , the employee called me a meth head what action can I take

I have never did meth in my life someone stayed here that didn't tell us he had scabbies so truly Nolan wouldn't come in till the carpet was cleaned, the carpet still has scabbies, I told the employee there's no way the carpet is cleaned, that's when he told me to shut up you... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Mar 18, 2020

Do you know the saying "Sticks and stones will break my bones; Names will never hurt me."? You had no financial damage so you have no legal remedy.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Federal Crimes and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Is a text message legally binding?

Can an agreement via text be used in court as a legal binding agreement?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 26, 2020

Usually oral agreements would be considered to be legally binding if the terms can be sufficiently proven. The statute of limitations can be different if an agreement is not in writing. While it's possible that a judge might for some reason think a text message doesn't qualify as a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for Florida on
Q: Can a person violate an injunction for stalking if they file an injunction based on lies with the court in retaliation.
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Nov 26, 2019

No. The Judge will sort all of this stuff out soon enough.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Can a New Jersey employer who sends a cease and desist letter with false claims to a former employee be sued for libel?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 5, 2019

No, libel requires "publication", i.e.: sending it to someone other than the supposedly "libeled" person (the former employer, in your example).

3 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Florida on
Q: Rented some tires left their shop and the tire flew off and the shop refuses to pay for what tore up and terminated conc

I Rented some tires from a place left their shop jumped on the expressway herd a clanking noise slowed down until the next exit got off and my tire flew clean threw the intersection and into the woods! Simply put i called the proper people got towed back to their shop and the guy got mad cause i... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Aug 3, 2019

Rental of tires is something I've never heard of. But I suppose that, if they put the tires on your rims and mounted the rims on your truck, they should have made sure the lug nuts were properly torqued.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Animal control showed up because r/m has been neglecting her animals. Stopped trying to help when r/m became abusive.

Was also not in a financial situation to care for them as I just gained employment on 7.19.19. I have an 11 year old child that I have struggled to feed and shelter due to finances and have been trying to get out of this unhealthy environment. Animal control said that all persons in the home could... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 30, 2019

What is a r/m?

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Libel & Slander and White Collar Crime for Florida on
Q: I have reason to believe a tenant is stalking me and using covert surveillance without consent for nefarious purposes.

It has been happening for an extended amount of time, and when I recently used an RF bug detector, it has confirmed my suspicions. It also confirmed that an employee is directly related to this incident even though I have nothing personal against that employee. The reason for this is because my RF... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Jul 29, 2019

You did not ask a question. You probably will get no response if you don't ask a question.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander, Family Law and Child Custody for Florida on
Q: Can you have your childs other parent take a drug test to prove he/she is not on drugs? For sole parental responsibility

I believe my sons father is on drugs and wanted to know if/how to get proof of it. I want to have sole parental responsibility when we have split right now.

Denise Martinez-Scanziani
Denise Martinez-Scanziani answered on Apr 3, 2019

You have to make this request in writing to the judge. Depending on the basis for your request, the court may order a drug test which can be done by either a urine sample or a hair follicle drug test. the hair follicle drug test will detect drug use for a much longer period of time than the urine... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Florida on
Q: We own a mobile home in a mobile home part. Back in Sept. They evicted us. For a no real reason.we tried to pay our ren

They fused to take . We we're harrassed beyond belief when I figured out a scam they were making more money off us . By charging extremely high wAter bills were a result of leaks we had under our mobile home. We had a lot of evidence but the judge sided with the big money attorney. That was a... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 3, 2019

"... we got a letter stating the right to claim abandon property. Does this mean we get our home back. [?]"

No. Abandoned property means the mobile home, as well as stuff you left in it,

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Out of state small claims court question

My florist violated our wedding contract and did not bring the flowers/colors of flowers we agreed upon and instead brought, dying, wilted, brown flowers to our wedding that were not the right color or flowers agreed upon in our paying contract. When I called her the day of the wedding she was... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 16, 2019

It depends. If the suit is filed in Florida, the lawyer must be admitted to practice law in Florida. If it's filed in your home state, the lawyer would have to be admitted to practice in your home state.

It's not clear which possible suit you are asking about: the breach of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Is it slander if an old coworker gives a new employer a bad reference about me that isn't true?
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Sep 8, 2018

It would depend upon what exactly the reference alleges. And technically if the defamation is in writing it would be called "libel".

Q: I was staying at my long time friends home. He got upset with me chanved locks n kep all my personal items and CAT!

Basically the situation is I'm staying with a friend that I've known for a very long time because me and my boyfriend had a disagreement. The friend that I'm staying with changed the locks as well as kept all of my belongings and my cat that isn't even a year old. What can I do in this situation

Drew Bruner
Drew Bruner answered on May 31, 2018

This may be both a criminal and civil matter. In Florida, there are generally no "self-help" evictions. If your pet or belongings are also being held without your permission, a crime may have been committed. It is wise to report this to a local law enforcement agency and contact a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: I posted my experience with a company I worked for. Can he sue me for defamation?

I worked for a company as an insurance agent. They owe me money from my sales. They accepted I was owed but reversed this by claiming I now owed them even after offering me a portion of my commission and a demand that I sign a waiver so that I could get my check. I refused to sign because they... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 24, 2018

First, as I understand it they have not sued you, but only threatened to sue. Truth is a defense to an action for defamation; if what you said is correct they cannot successfully sue you. Also, they would have to prove the damages they are claiming. And, of course, until they sue, you cannot sue... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Because someone accused you on act. Can you automatic get a lawsuit.
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 3, 2018

What's "act"? But no, lawsuits aren't "automatic".

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Can you do jail time for slander
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on May 2, 2018

No, defamation is not a criminal offense.

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: I been accused of slender on facebook but that account doesn't even exist I can't find it. What do I do.
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Apr 30, 2018

I believe you mean "slander". But the proper term for published defamation, such as in Facebook, would be "libel".

Contact the person who made the accusation and ask for proof of the alleged defamation.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.