Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Consumer Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Consumer Law for Oregon on
Q: I want to donate my car. My deceased grandmother is listed second on the title since she cosigned. What do I do?

There is no survivorship on the title. I am not the executor of her estate. There was only one executor. She died in 2012 and this car was not part of her will/estate. The donation company tells me all I need is to give them a notarized inheritance affidavit and have a death certificate, but DMV... Read more »

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Jun 6, 2017

You should give the car title with your signature on it, your grandmother's death certificate, and the DMV affidavit of heirship to the company you want to donate the car to. The affidavit of heirship should be signed by the beneficiary of your grandmother's estate. You can get the DMV... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: if a person executes a note and trust deed in favor of a non-existent company styled a a "lender", is that fraud?

Details: the "lender" did not exist; it also falsely claimed to be a New York corporation.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on May 20, 2017

This doesn't make sense. If party "A" gave money to party "B" in exchange for a promisory note there is a secured transaction. If you are saying that the documents listed party "A" as a New York Corporation that didn't exist, the fact remains that there... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: Not divorced but wife wants car I bought for her. Car in my name. Is she entitled to it as transportation or should I
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on May 12, 2017

There is just no way to answer that question with such limited information. When you go through the divorce process the court will evaluate all the property acquired during the marriage (and that includes property you had before the marriage to the extent that the value increased during the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: I took my vehicle to a body shop to get fixed and the shop I took it too did not fix my car.

So I took my car to another shop to have the repair work done. The first shop charged me a fee for me to take my car out of their shop. I feel this is wrong. I need to know if I have a mall claims case against the first body shop

Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark answered on May 4, 2017

I would need some follow up information in order to answer this question. Did you have a written or verbal contract with the original body shop? Was there an agreement of a time period to fix your car? Did they do any diagnostic work that was contracted for. What is the body shop's... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Collections for Oregon on
Q: I have received a summons for a debt that I am responsible for. I am not sure what I need to do?

What do I do once I receive the summons? Do I need a lawyer? I want to take care of this debt and pay the balance that I owe. But I do not want my wages garnished. What can I do?

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on May 4, 2017

I would contact a lawyer, preferably one that deals with bankruptcy and debt issues. I know you want to take care of this debt but before you do pay it, you might want to know if bankruptcy is a better option which it might be if you have a lot of other debts. I see people struggle to pay one debt... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Consumer Law and Lemon Law for Oregon on
Q: I purchased a used car and they didnt undisclose issues can i sue them?

I purchased a car from a used dealership bought the car and drove home the next day my car stalled on the highway on me almost causing a accident also the day I purchased the vehicle that night I asked the dealer why the headlights were so dim he said its the bulbs but apparently they were broken... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Mar 30, 2017

This isn't my area of expertise so you will probably need to still look for an attorney that specializes in used car purchase issues. What I can tell you is that the buyer usually has the responsibility to completely inspect a used car before purchasing. It is wise to call in a professional... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: What are my options if a storage facility failed to give me notice of intent to sell my property?

I had a storage facility that was on auto payment. When my debit card was lost and changed, the payment no longer went through without me realizing it. I did not receive any notice from the storage facility, either by mail or email, that they were selling my property. I received only one notice of... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Feb 25, 2017

I'm not in my office, so I can't look up the statutes, but there are a few on the books that should allow you to go after the storage place. If I recall correctly, there are certain procedures that need to be followed before they can sell your items. An attorney can review those and your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: Oregon-rent is paid for 30 days along with a notice to vacate at the end of the 30 days. I've moved earlier than the 30

Can the landlord rent the unit to a new renter before my paid for 30 days is up?

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Feb 9, 2017

If you have surrendered possession of the unit, they can rent it out and a new occupant can move in.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Oregon on
Q: I rented vacation home in Sunriver, OR for 3 nights. We did damage to the back deck - burned 1/3 of two 2x6 wood pieces.

I reported damage to the company immediately. I got pictures of damage and I showed them to professionals. They said it will cost $300 to return to original condition. The max $500. Company with whom I rent house, saying it cost $2000. Do they have legal right to make me to pay this amount or I can... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 23, 2017

If you have homeowners insurance, turn it over to them. They should defend you even though you were traveling at the time. You are only responsible for the reasonable cost of repair. The problem is you may have to prove what is reasonable. You would need to have your own expert give an estimate... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: I had a levy placed on my account by the California Franchise Tax Board on Black Friday because of mistaken identity.

On black Friday the 25th of November 2016 I was informed by my Bank JP Morgan Chase that my account had a levy placed on it by the California Franchise Tax Board. The total amount in my account was placed on hold and still is. In addition to that hold amount, I was charged a $75 legal fee by my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 29, 2016

First you need to get the paperwork they sent chase. They can't just show up with a levy. Second you need to find out who this board is. I'd also worry the whole thing is a scam, so follow up with JP morgan at a number you get on your statement not on some email.

You want to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability and Consumer Law for Oregon on
Q: The Verizon location at Mall 205 in Portland violated the Unlawful Trade Practices Act.Do I have a case?

They knowingly forced me to pay for a tablet they knew to be defective for 9 months. It was tested by one of their salespeople on-site.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 25, 2016

A lot is fact specific and your damages would be the cost of what you paid (or payment plus monthly charges). Suggest you write them a demand letter for starters--any judge will want to see that you asked. No, you don't get paid for hassle of it, waiting on hold, and other fun Verizon times.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Oregon on
Q: My husband is dying w cancer, when we refinanced our home I had just quit my job, my name is not on the home loan. Help?

The title company that did the refinance thought that it would be better since I had just started my own business but was less than a year. Now I am very concerned about this, My name is on the taxes, I am and always have been the one to pay the mortgage. He had a horrible motorcycle crash 7 years... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 26, 2015

The mortgage companies are flooded with properties that they have to pay the taxes on and the upkeep and the insurance. Your mortgage company is probably willing to work with you to help save your home. Perhaps the best thing to do is to go see a local attorney about this, one who helps people do... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.