Vermont Q&A by Practice Area

  • Admiralty / Maritime
  • Adoption
  • Agricultural Law
  • Animal / Dog Law
  • Antitrust
  • Appeals / Appellate Law
  • Arbitration / Mediation Law
  • Banking
  • Business Formation
  • Business Law
  • Car Accidents
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Civil Litigation
  • Civil Rights
  • Collections
  • Communications Law
  • Constitutional Law
  • Construction Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Education Law
  • Elder Law
  • Election Law
  • Employment Discrimination
  • Energy, Oil and Gas
  • Entertainment / Sports
  • Environmental
  • Federal Crimes
  • Gaming
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Government Contracts
  • Health Care Law
  • Identity Theft
  • Insurance Bad Faith
  • Insurance Defense
  • Intellectual Property
  • International Law
  • Internet Law
  • Juvenile Law
  • Land Use & Zoning
  • Landlord - Tenant
  • Legal Malpractice
  • Lemon Law
  • Libel & Slander
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Mergers & Acquisitions
  • Military Law
  • Municipal Law
  • Native American Law
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Patents (Intellectual Property)
  • Probate
  • Public Benefits
  • Securities Law
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Small Claims
  • Social Security
  • Stockbroker Fraud
  • Trademark
  • Uncategorized
  • White Collar Crime
  • Wrongful Death

Show More Practice Areas »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Vermont Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Vermont on

Q: Is my neighbor liable for injuries resulting from their tree falling on our house?

Mr. Michael John Gannon answered on Jun 16, 2017

Possibly. It depends on whether your neighbors were on notice of the risk presented by the tree and failed to act. If that's the case then they are potentially liable.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Vermont on

Q: I want to use a religious symbol I found online for a poster. Are religious symbols free of copyright?

The poster is for free meditation classes offered by a 501 c 3 only.

Will Blackton answered on May 21, 2017

Religious symbols are not necessarily free of copyright protection. If the image you found online was created by an artist, and has some very minimal level of creativity applied to the work, that artist was granted copyright protection, even if the underlying symbol is in the public domain or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice for Vermont on

Q: I had some surgery on my touge about year and half ago.I was told by him the surgeon that the feeling would come back,

It has never come back.He admitted to my primary Dr.that he might of hit the nerves.Sonow the front tip kills me and the side that he did still hurts and he killed the nerves on the side to which still hasn't been done the right why. I live in Vermont what should I do i have to live with this... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 21, 2017

Talk to a member of the Vermont Assn for Justice--they give free consults.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Vermont on

Q: Have been married 30 yrs, separated 9 of those. I was awarded a personal injury claim recently,

Can my husband get any of it in divorce?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 12, 2015

Go see a local family attorney for a full discussion.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Vermont on

Q: If someone has been charged with simple assault with mutual affray is it a non listed offense?

Would you still be eligible for work camp?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 12, 2015

Get counsel on your side. The attorney you hire will investigate all the facts and circumstances and advise you accordingly.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Vermont on

Q: Okay question. A friend of mine got into some legal trouble regarding drugs. She was sentenced to 1-6 months on FSU.

Now she's clean and has been for over a year but the arrangements for FSU will be going into motion soon. She's going to go sign a lease tomorrow for an apartment. Can someone from the case tell the landlords exactly what she is getting charged for and the story? I'm in the state of Vermont

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 4, 2015

Why do you ask in this way. Whynot say what has happened? Her criminal court records are public, right?

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Collections and Consumer Law for Vermont on

Q: I am considering filing bankruptcy but have a possible settlement coming in a court case that has been filed in fedl ct

PLZ presume I know I can see an atty, I know applic homestead/wild-card, etc., exemptions, and I know this is an asset...question is specific and answers will help me choose atty. Context: Ch 7, All debt is credit card, unsecured. Settlement/judgment will be more than enuf to pay off creditors.... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 3, 2015

The very best thing you can do is to have a full discussion with a bankruptcy attorney about this. You will find that the suit you have is an asset of your bankruptcy estate if you file for bankruptcy.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for Vermont on

Q: What are the laws in Vermont with regard to handicapped accessibility in motels especially if they were notified of nece

I'm in a wheelchair and advised the motel I would need a wheelchair accessible room upon arrival I found I was unable to fit through the door to the room nor was I able to get into the bathroom in fact they have no ada accommodations at all

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 30, 2015

You know about the ADA, right? Look it up on the internet. Find out about the local ordinance requirements and also research the state statutes or code on this topic.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law for Vermont on

Q: Where does the US constitution physically apply?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 26, 2015

In the US and its territories, I think.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Family Law for Vermont on

Q: How can an unmarried woman become the executor of the estate of her deceased partner of 8 years?

The deceased partner has only one relative, a brother who lives in Florida. The deceased does not have any living relatives in the state where both partners resided the entire eight years of their relationship. Would the surviving partner have to go to Florida to start court action to become the... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 3, 2015

Go see a local probate attorney to get answers to your questions after a full discussion of the issues.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Vermont on

Q: In Vermont is it legal for a 17 year old girl to have sex with a 20 year old guy? The age of consent is 16...

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 20. We have been together for over two years now. We've never had sex because of my age, but now that i'm 17 is it legal?

Robert Jason De Groot answered on Aug 20, 2015

It appears that the age of consent is 16 in Vermont. Do a simple internet search on this and read some of the results.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright for Vermont on

Q: Copy right infringement I let somebody copy the video and they put on facebook

This information out on facebook may stop a real estate sale. I am a photographer and I did not give her permission to put on facebook.

Adam Studnicki answered on Jul 31, 2015

Hard to say what's going on. Did the person violate the terms of a limited copyright license? A copyright lawyer can assist?

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Vermont on

Q: How can I get this man to pay for damaging my vehicle?

An old friend of mine claimed I ran over his foot, (at approximately 1 mile an hour). He has no damage to his foot whatsoever. Out of anger 20 seconds after that happened, he purposely kicked a gigantic dent into my vehicle. I want him to pay for it, but he refuses to. How can I go about doing... Read more »

John M DeProspo answered on Jun 14, 2015

Old friend? You could sue him in small claims court but don't be surprised if he counter-sues you for his injury.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Vermont on

Q: Does a wife have the right to ask for copies of husbands mortgage application?

Peter Anderson answered on Mar 25, 2014

Yes. Through the process of "discover" when a legal action is pending.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Vermont on

Q: Do you need a lawyer to file for divorce in vermont

Peter Anderson answered on Mar 25, 2014

No. The Family Court is designed to enable parties to represent themselves. All forms needed to do so are available online.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Vermont on

Q: Where should I go to find old W2s from 2002, 2001, 2002?

I used to live in VA. The State of VA contacted my current employer in 2011 and attempted to garnish my wages. They claim that I never had state taxes with held for the years 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004 and that I owed them $ 6,252.69 in back taxes, interest, and penalties.

VA never once... Read more »

Zaher Fallahi answered on Nov 19, 2013

That may be really tough. Try the employer first for the W-2. Alternatively, ask them to reconstruct the W-2 equivalent from their information or use their best estimate. Are you sure you were even employed then? Consult a tax attorney for more advice.

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Vermont on

Q: How do I find out if someone has filed for bankrupty whether personal or business?

Erin Gallivan answered on Jan 21, 2011

Court filings are public documents, go to (or possibly call) the Bankruptcy Court and ask.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Vermont on

Q: How do I find out if someone has filed for bankrupty whether personal or business?

Erin Gallivan answered on Jan 21, 2011

Court filings are public documents, go to (or possibly call) the Bankruptcy Court and ask.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Vermont on

Q: Englishman by origin.Have U.S.child aged 15.Lived in U.S more than11yrs.Worked & filed taxes.Disabled.(Need green card)

I cannot be deported but I do not have a green card. Had won the visa lotto from the department of state twelve years ago.Have family members who are U.S citizens.Have a disability,have worked,filed taxes in my name and tax I.D number.When shall I get a Green card? I am from europe england since... Read more »

Gus M. Shihab Esq answered on Dec 5, 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your question on this forum.

The law requires your child to be 21 years of age in order to apply for you. The question is unclear as to how you originally entered the US. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney on your current...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.