Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Washington on
Q: A collection agency tried to coerce me into acknowledging a debt when I requested validation. Do I have any recourse?

I had verbally requested a verification of debt be sent to me in writing. I was told that they could not send me verification of debt without me first acknowledging that I may actually be responsible for it. I refused and insisted on them sending me something in writing. I have since mailed them a... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
answered on Sep 13, 2016

You may benefit by reading the article on debtors' rights re collections at the Washington Law Help website:

The website also has other articles on debtors' rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Consumer Law for Washington on
Q: will I be able to sue the bank or the car place for allowing someone to purchase a car without checking if it was me?

I had no credit and someone used my actual drivers license picture and all to get a $7,000+ car loan and bought a car, the car place lied to me multiple times about this person ,and tried to convince me to drop it and not file a police report but I have already contacted the police. Drivers license... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
answered on Aug 25, 2016

What an aggravating experience you've had. In your position I would first put a freeze on my credit reports ( and then speak with an attorney who focuses on consumer law. Many will offer a free initial consult, and some will take... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Washington on
Q: Buy 1997 Honda Accord ball joint fell off going down the freeway it turns out it has been recalled what can I do

Check my VIN number but it only goes back 10 years

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 22, 2016

Unless you bought the car recently, with that vintage it may well be a replacement ball joint one or two front end jobs ago.

I don't see that you can really make a claim, but if it resulted in a crash contact a member of the State of Washington Assn for Justice--they give free consultations.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Products Liability and Animal / Dog Law for Washington on
Q: Can my dog get shoot for chasing someone's cat?

My dog dose no harm to anything and he got out of his fence quite a bit here recently and chases the neighbors cats he don't hurt them he just Chase them. And the neighbor said if it happens again he will shoot him.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jul 26, 2016

The neighbor can't shoot them because of hunting laws which prohibit firearms use near houses (don't tell the neighbour --they will use something else). You say he got "out of his fece quite a bit" --that is called a nuissance in the law. You need to fix your fence, get a new... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: Is it possible to attain multiple EINs for one trust ?

A prospective bank for the funds insures accounts up to $250,000 per EIN. Would it be possible to obtain multiple EINs in order to gain more insurance for the trust?

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
answered on Jul 6, 2016

Probably not for that reason.

The IRS says:

You will be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.

* One person is the grantor/maker of many trusts.

* A trust changes to an estate.

* A living or intervivos trust...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Washington on
Q: Can I reverse a claim for an unauthorized charge on my bank account and avoid being suspected of fraud by the merchant?

Couple days ago, I subscribed to an adult site online using both a debit and credit card, and out of buyers remorse, I called my bank when the charges posted and stated the charges were unauthorized. After a lengthy talk with the bank + merchant, the bank stated that I would be temporarily credited... Read more »

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Sep 21, 2015

Your lies will catch up with you. Withdraw the request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.