Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Virginia Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: I ordered an item from etsy. Cant pay import fees.

Ordered $23 item did not know it was coming from Europe. Seller wont cancel. What happens if i dont pay duties/import fees.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 4, 2020

A Virginia attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for five weeks. You could check their terms of service, or if there are internal provisions for resolution of disputes. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Military Law and Municipal Law for Virginia on
Q: What are the guidelines and rules of Tanks that have a deactivated weapon in VA, can I go on the road with them?

For example, can I drive on the road with rubber tracks?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 7, 2020

If it's one of the brutes, even in a deactivated state, you run the risk of liability for overweight vehicle damage, despite rubber tracks, and the potential for civil lawsuits from municipalities and utility companies for possible damage to sewage infrastructure and underground utilities. You... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Probate and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: Can my probation officer make me bring ib my pills that is a narcotic to my appointment

The office ia at the jail and I was thinking all I need to do is bring a print out of the script instead of the pills them self

Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit answered on Feb 26, 2020

Ask your probation officer whether you should bring the pills in their container or whether you should simply bring a pharmacy printout.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Contracts and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: 850k If an attorney erases 3 lines in a copy of a contract he gives to a judge, is there a way to deal with it swiftly?


The original contract is on file and his client stated he had possessions, that are the contract stated, he had no knowledge of the list and if found he would return. Apdx A was the 100k. list items. It a custom contact 3 pg doc. with appendix A list.. page contract written on the... Read more »

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Feb 16, 2020

It is no clear what is your question but if there was a judgment entered against you, you should file an appeal asap.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Gov & Administrative Law and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: My husband lives across the parking lot from in apartments we argue sometimes inside, I got evicted & it didn't get bad

Why I'm I'm getting evicted when I was just disgusting something with my ex and we never was loud outside & we will walk away before it got serious so I don't understand why I got evicted, we live at blue ridge Manor apts Vinton,Va

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Feb 6, 2020

I am sorry but I have no idea why you were evicted. My law firm is located in Alexandria City, VA so I am not available to go to Vinton.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Real Estate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: Broker appeal REB decision? VA Supreme Court rule 2A:2(b) & 2A:4 within 30 days? What do I need to do? Thanks.

18VAC 135-20-160.B: There was incorrect DPOR form on file intended for mailing purposes. Since corrected. However, I sent them 4 other documents, including clerk of court certificate, that clearly indicate place of business address. Plus, a site visit was never done inside the residence. A site... Read more »

Ross Cameron Hart
Ross Cameron Hart answered on Dec 14, 2019

There's an old (very old) saying most popularly attributed to Abraham Lincoln - see

In the past I have served on a state board, and represented others before state boards. The process is technical and full of traps - you need a lawyer....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: Does BOD have authority to apply surplus from a special assessment to LTR?

I'm on a very small HOA BOD. We recently collected a special assessment to fix a washed out culvert. We collected a special assessment based on an estimate we had received from a local contractor. We were able to repair the culvert for less with another contractor.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Nov 25, 2019

The answer may be in your bylaws. Read them or retain a lawyer to read them.

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Contracts and Criminal Law for Virginia on
Q: Under Virginia Code 18.2-115 is simply moving a vehicle out of the state enough to be considered fraudulent conversion?
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt answered on Apr 23, 2019

There are elements to the charge the Commonwealth would need to prove. Contact a lawyer in the area where your charge is and they may be able to locate a defense.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: How in the world do I get a 1991 map in order to prove I own land? I own a large piece of land ..

close to Tehran, Iran and the city wants me to provide them a map of that area in 1991 in order to prove my rightful claim. Is this legal, even in Iran??? I am living in the U.S. and need direction and advice on how to approach this. Please advise! Are they just being unreasonable or is this... Read more »

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Feb 11, 2019

You are going to need an Iranian lawyer.

Q: So I am 17 with no permit and I got stopped at a parking lot while I was parked and I have a court hearing, pay or jail?
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt answered on Jan 30, 2019

I don't even know what you're trying to ask. If you were charged with driving without a license you can request a court appointed lawyer at your hearing or hire someone. Usually it helps to get properly licensed. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: A city bus driver hit the side of my vehicle. I wasn't there when it happened (my car was parked while I was shopping)

but one of the bus riders got off and left me a note, detailing what happened and also provided the number on the side of the bus. Is that enough evidence to sue the city for damages?

Jay Braddock Jackson
Jay Braddock Jackson answered on Nov 26, 2018

It’s certainly enough to start. You may wish to start

With the transit authority first however since it would be much cheaper if they agree to pay the damages. Additionally, if you see not in the car and we’re not injured, your recovery will be limited to the damage to the vehicle so...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: i am a natural born citizen.would my felony conviction stop my spouses process?

would my felony conviction prevent her obtaining her residency or citizenship. I am a natural born citizen

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jul 9, 2018

It should not, depending on the crime for which you were convicted. Felonious assault or crimes of a sexual nature could be the exception. Check with an immigration attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia on
Q: When a 14 year old gets arrested in the state of Virginia does the parent have to be present for the questioning?

Or Does the child have to ask for their parent or lawyer

Bryan J. Jones
Bryan J. Jones answered on Jun 6, 2018

The parent does not have to be present for questioning.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: I didn't do the proper paperwork to file a motion to quash a subpoena. At the hearing, the judge suggested a continuance

I signed the order, which said that I would file the motion that day, but I have changed my mind, and don't want to quash the subpoena. So I didn't file the motion. Is that ok? The subpoena was for medical records, and I plan to send them to the attorney.

Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer answered on Feb 12, 2018

That would largely depend on the judge, but most judges would allow you to cooperate with the opposing side if you decide to. Whether it is a good idea in your particular case is best discussed with a confidential consultation with a lawyer to determine the pros and cons associated with your course... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Gov & Administrative Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: My personal vehicle was damaged by a state vehicle on state property. Can I sue?

I work for the state and my truck was hit by a state vehicle. Approx 1000.00 damage. I have 1000.00 deduct. I was told i had to use my own insurance but the fault was the states and it was admitted as well as a police report. Would it be bgetter to take the dept of Corrections or the State of VA... Read more »

Jan F Hoen
Jan F Hoen answered on Nov 8, 2017

You can use your insurance and allow them to recover their payment and your deductible in arbitration with the Commonwealth.

View More Answers

Q: How to appeal county decision of vandalism on county sewer line backup/surcharge into home?

County sewer line backed up into home resulted in much damage and county has deemed as vandalism. Need to understand what is needed to appeal decision and which type of attorney can assist.

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Oct 31, 2017

I am sorry but I do not handle that type of matter. You may want to call the Bar Association of the city or county in which you live and ask for a lawyer referral for your situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Gov & Administrative Law for Virginia on
Q: I slip and fell on government property with no wet floor signs. After I got injured they put wet floor signs up. Help

Are they liable for me slipping and falling? They had to now it was wet substance on floor, because they didn't they wouldn't had put wet floor signs after it happened

Jan F Hoen
Jan F Hoen answered on Oct 26, 2017

They obviously knew it was wet afterwards because you fell on it. It does not logically follow that they knew until after. I assume you reported it to them. Putting signs up afterwards was necessary to prevent any additional falls and does not in any way prove negligence.

Liability on...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Health Care Law for Virginia on
Q: can I notorize the original birth certificate requested instead of sending the original birth certificate

the Institue where my son is an inmate is requesting his birth certificate they will not send the original one back

F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof answered on Sep 14, 2017

I think you should ask the Institue

If they will accept a notarized affidavit that swears the copy is a true and accurate copy of the original. Attach the copy to the affidavit.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Traffic Tickets for Virginia on
Q: I am a little confused after reading some virginia codes. Are you allowed to make a right turn on red?

After coming to a complete stop, there is no "no right on red" sign. Just a red light that as the right turn arrows, but the red light is a steady red not a red arrow.

Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman answered on May 18, 2017

Virginia Code 46.2-835 says: "Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where a traffic control device is placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red circular signal, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Virginia on
Q: HB 2163 in Virginia if it is signed into law when does it come into effect. Does it come into effect july 1st?

I am a patient being treated with buprenorphine and if this law is passed my understanding is I will lose my medication. It can't be legal for someone to be taken off a medication they would need to be detoxed from at least is it? I have an allergy to Narcan so I cannot have suboxone, I need... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 19, 2017

Contact your local state rep or state senator.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.