Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Consumer Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Indiana on
Q: I took my 2022 kia sorento sx prestige with 18k miles for an oil change at a local facility.

Oil was not put back into my car. Drove off and realized engine light and oil light came on. Immediately turned around. What should I expect in terms of engine replacement? Will they replace? Should they? I don't want my new vehicle damaged for life. Will a replacement engine diminish the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Civil Litigation for Indiana on
Q: Can I file a motion to dismiss a counter claim of defamation in Indiana if I can prove the statements were all factual

I sued a contractor for fraud and HICA violations in small claims court in Indiana after the contractor failed to return and complete the hired job/failed to provide a contract. His lawyer counter sued me with a defamation claim and a request to pay the original invoice amount. I wrote a google... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Indiana on
Q: Want advice on steps to take when oil change company did not put oil back into car?

2022 kia sorento sx prestige. 18k miles. Drove off and engine light came on along with oil light. Immediately turned around and took back. Towed to kia dealer. Where to go from here? If it needs new engine I'm aware it's going to take months on end for a part to even come in. I'm a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Contracts for Indiana on
Q: Can I be held liable and have my credit diminished for a pet I never received?

In 2017 I applied to receive a teacup puppy from mypetfunding (Monterey Financial Services) however I never received the puppy and now have a bill of $3925.59 which is now in collections. I saw that Indiana has a law against puppy leasing and more than one family has sued this company for never... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Indiana on
Q: I found a dead rat in the bottom of my Starbucks double shot energy drink can after drinking it Please help

I just need to know if there’s anything I can do Starbucks is wanting to pick the Can up and take it to a lab. I am just worried that it will be a lab that’s partial to them and not both parties.

Should I turn over the can

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: How is it possible that an extended warranty will not reimburse me when I paid for 60 months and only used 18?

We have always bought extended warranties on our cars and we usually don’t ever keep them for the five years and I’ve always been reimbursed for the months that we don’t use and for some reason this company is not going to give us our money back. Even the dealership that we bought the new... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Indiana on
Q: Can Mechanics charge Storage fees when the work on the car hasn't begun?

So I brought my car in around December, around January 10th he said the parts were in and sent an invoice, around this same time he started charging Storage fees. I checked in around March and he said the parts were wrong and he will have to reorder them.

If the work that is the reason the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Consumer Law for Indiana on
Q: Can I sue a gas station for refusing to give me a receipt for gas purchase and being racist to me.

I went to purchase gas at a gas station and the machine was out of receipts, I went inside to ask for one. The worker was very racist and rude in her talk and refused to give me a receipt. I asked why she said I don’t know how but she mentioned that she has been working at the place for 20 years.... Read more »

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on Jun 20, 2022

Workers' Compensation is an area of law that deals with work-related injuries.

It is illegal for a retail merchant to refuse to provide you with a receipt. The situation that you describe happens EVERY day. A remote printer either runs out of paper, misfeeds, jams, or runs out of...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Foreclosure and Banking for Indiana on
Q: if I am being sued in Indiana, and did not make a court appearance can that court issue a warrant for contempt of court
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
answered on Feb 21, 2022

You failed to say which or what kind of court, what kind of notice for court appearance or any details from which an answer can be derived.

Try again.



View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Environmental for Indiana on
Q: I have mold in my house making me and my kids sick what is the landlord's obligations and there's no lease involved here

Also have electrical wiring issues no sink I moved in here with feces on the walls and floor and no floor in the kitchen old plumbing is really messed up septic is backed up

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 30, 2021

An Indiana attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks, and you express some immediate concerns about the safety and welfare of your family. One option here is to repost your question and include Landlord-Tenant as a category. Although all your category selections make... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Estate Planning for Indiana on
Q: Attorney sent an unexpected & backdated invoice 5 months after I opted not to work with him. Do I pay it?

During a 30-min consult last January, atty quoted a flat $80 to write a will. It all seemed fairly straightforward, until he wanted to write himself into my will "in the event that my heir and I die at the same time." At the end of the meeting, he tried to close the deal: I told him... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on May 12, 2021

If everything you say is true, you should file a complaint with the State Bar of Indiana. You can find their phone number online. It is an ethical violation for an attorney write himself into the will of a person for whom he is not a natural heir. It might also be an ethical violation not to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Consumer Law, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Indiana on
Q: Abandoned vehicle at storage has been here for years, tag expired 2012 Is there Streamlined abandonment tiitle Process?

Vehicle stored over 5 years with no payments or contact with owner.

Attempts to contact owner satisfied but unsuccessful. Vehicle valued under $700, not road worthy.

Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
answered on Apr 15, 2021

If the vehicle is abandoned, you can file a request for salvage title and obtain title to the make it your property.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Copyright, Business Formation and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: Can I buy a website very similar to a popular brand’s site and use that to sell similar merchandise?

The website I would be buying is the same words just moved around. And the merchandise would potentially be clothing designed to look similar to the original brand’s clothing but not the same. Or would it be legal to offer this new and similar domain to the owner of the original for a price?

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Jan 8, 2021

don't do it

too close for comfort

you can be sued

consult with an attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Indiana on
Q: signed up for dance lessons in Jan through May. I paid in advance.they refuse to give me partial refund

Signed up in january- for classes once a week until end of may.

They switched to online classes but since i have hardwood floors and not a lot of space and i was doing tap dance i asked for a refund, they said this was not to be inplace of a dance class. that it was just to keep your body... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 11, 2020

An Indiana attorney could answer best, as consumer issues could involve state law. But as a general matter of contract law, it could depend on how the agreement was written, in terms of how it addressed certain unforeseeable or foreseeable intervening events. These types of situations have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Indiana on
Q: Policy coverage dispute question: I cancelled my homeowner's insurance the same day I bought a new policy...

The new company could not insure me until 12:00 a.m., meaning the next day. The acknowledgement of cancellation from the prior company states my policy is cancelled at 12:01 a.m. the day I cancelled which is technically before I cancelled. My mortgage company is requiring proof of insurance for... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 14, 2020

Unfortunately, the use of those figures alone, as a general practice, could leave too much open to interpretation. If possible, it might be best to have them clarify in writing what the last full day of coverage is and what the first full day of coverage is with the respective carriers, rather than... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Construction Law and Consumer Law for Indiana on
Q: can I run away if I don’t feel safe in my house ?

My mother blames us for the way her boyfriend treats her they fight all the time the last fight they had he called my mom crazy and then he called me crazy when me and my mom get in fights she thinks it ok to put her hands on me last time she put her hands on me I threatened to call the cops and... Read more »

James Avery
James Avery
answered on May 7, 2020

A better option might be to call County Dept of Social Services and make a report, they will find you a safe home if necessary.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Indiana on
Q: Is there a legal issue where a company can get in trouble for harassing a customer?
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
answered on May 7, 2020

No meaningful answer can be given unless you provide more detail and ask the question more carefully. It is certainly POSSIBLE for a company to illegally harass a customer or anyone. If you describe the conduct, we can try to determine whether the conduct constitutes harassment.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Indiana on
Q: My husband is going to prison for 13 years. He has a court appointed lawyer that I don't believe is being fair .

My husband's lawyer I feel is trying to punch him to take the plea that was Gabe to him. I realize my husband has a past. But courts have never offered him drug rehab or has even tried to get him help

Dakota VanLeeuwen
Dakota VanLeeuwen
answered on May 27, 2020

Consult and retain a private attorney if you would like another opinion on the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Indiana on
Q: if i wanted to file a lawsuit against a medical provider for refusing service to me. How can I?

I went to this provider and stated that I had pain in a particular area of my body. He roughly and unexpectedly tapped the area with his instrument causing immediate pain to me and I reacted by coming up out of my seated position, to the Dr.'s alarm. I immediately and angrily said to him... Read more »

James Avery
James Avery
answered on Apr 23, 2020

You have to start by filing a complaint with the Commissioner of Insurance. Go to the website to get the particulars.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Copyright and Immigration Law for Indiana on
Q: Can i hire a lawyer and give power of attorney to the lawyer to help with the sale of my Car?

I am asking as I am out travelling outside USA for 3 weeks, to get my Visa stamped on my passport, I would need a lawyer to represent me with the Car sale, if I am unable to return to the USA for some reason

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Dec 3, 2019

In general yes. it will always depend on the attorney.

Many attorneys do not want to get directly involved in transactions of this nature as many things could go wrong.

All you are doing is giving a power of attorney to somebody.

can be a lawyer or anybody else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.