Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Family Law Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Iowa on
Q: dad died in 2019 no will. only child but he was married. He owned a trailer in Carroll county Illinois how can I get it

My step mom lives in Illinois Rockford I'm in Iowa only child. And I've pd taxes and yard maintenance since he passed. She hasn't paid anything and don't want it but won't sign it over to me. I've been told by court house that we both own it what can I do

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Immigration Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Iowa on
Q: My imagrant wife at the end of five years cheated on me she went on sugar found a man that makes $80,000 a yea

No sooner got her lawful permanent residency and I got the divorce papers

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: I'm my father's power of attorney and he has become sexual inappropriate with me and he wants to remove me as POA can he

He angry because I said he may have to go to a home he's not sound mind can he remove me as his Power of attorney He being inappropriate to any female that enters our home even my granddaughter

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Iowa on
Q: I dont have a custody agreement and my sons father hasn't seen him in a year I may have to relocate do I have to tellhim

My sons father hasn't seen him in a year hasn't attempted contact nothing I may be relocating to a different state do I have to tell him

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: I live in the state of Iowa what does filing the requisite affidavit and proceeding with service by publication mean?

Is there an specific form for filing this petition after receiving approval from the judge/court? I recently just filed a motion seeking official approval to file the petition/affidavit for doing this? Cant find the name of the form that can be filled out and completed.

M. John Riley
M. John Riley
answered on Dec 2, 2021

Google Iowa court forms. The site has legal forms for unrepresented parties.

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for Iowa on
Q: Adultery in the state of Iowa

What recourse does a husband have in Iowa if his wife is openly committing adultery and refuses to stop?? The only respite she is offering is a divorce for which the husband has to pay along with losing half of the assets. She is openly mocking him by saying that in Iowa, he is screwed by the... Read more »

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse
answered on Oct 11, 2021

Iowa is a "no-fault" state, meaning that adultery, etc., cannot be used against an opposing party in divorce proceedings. Additionally, Iowa is a "marital property" state, meaning that any assets, aside from specific exemptions (including inheritances kept in separate accounts),... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: If I were to attempt suicide while pregnant in the state of Iowa would I get in trouble
Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears
answered on Apr 21, 2021

If you attempted suicide and *succeeded,* you would be dead. Can't really get in trouble if you're dead, right?

That you're asking this question therefore suggests that you're considering "attempting" suicide *without* succeeding. (I'd call that more of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: My ex wife has sole custody of our son in wi, I live in Iowa I have had him this school year beside him going to his

Moms a couple of time. On top of this I am paying for child support what should I do

Paul Ylvisaker
Paul Ylvisaker
answered on Dec 8, 2020

If the child is going to remain with you, then the appropriate steps would be to;

1. File a Motion to terminate with Court who currently has jurisdiction over the case.

2. Transfer the existing case to your state of residence by Registering the order in the state court in your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: my soon to be ex wife has let a multiple time felon move in before divorce is over. can i get custody of my children

boyfriend is on probation currently for 2 felonies. has a very extensive history of drug and alcohol charges, arson, burglary, theft, owi's. most recent charges almost 1 year ago. im concerned for my children. can i get full custody of them, or what is my best process? can i file to not have... Read more »

Austin J Luse
Austin J Luse
answered on Nov 5, 2020

Do you currently have an attorney for the ongoing divorce? Or has this divorce process not yet started? If you have not retained an attorney or started the divorce process, I advise seeking one ASAP and having them file for divorce. From there, after some administrative hoops are jumped through... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Military Law for Iowa on
Q: What rights do I have after my dad passed away

My aunt bullied me out of everything

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 9, 2020

I'm sorry for your loss. Your post remains open for three weeks. You may want to consider reposting under the Iowa Probate and Estate Planning sections. There's no guarantee all posts are picked up, but attorneys in those categories would be able to offer the most meaningful input. Good... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: Does my ex have any entitlement to my inheritance if we have been divorced for four years? We were married for 20 years.
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
answered on Apr 16, 2020

No. Your ex would not have any entitlement to your inheritance even if you were still married. However, if you still owe your ex anything for support or division of property or anything like that, your inheritance will be a collectible asset if it is given to you outright. If your inheritance... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: how much does it cost to file a dissolution of marriage in Iowa
Erik Steven Fisk
Erik Steven Fisk
answered on May 8, 2018

$185.00. You could also find this out on

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: my Ex took my son and will not bring back is a nortorized paper not filed with court enough to get him to bring him back

He said he will bring him back when our son wants to come back I asked for him to be dropped off in the morning and he said no

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: Can a paternity test be court ordered by the potential father if the mom is unwilling to test, on a 10 year old?

My husbands ex for the past 11yrs has been going back and fourth on whether this kid is his or not. She was pregnant a couple months prior to him starting to date me. She told him it wasn't his kid during the pregnancy and for the first 5-6yrs of the kids life. At that point she started... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: I just turned 17 and my father is constantly threatening to kick me out and its happend before. what are my options?
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
Stephen Douglas Lombardi
answered on Oct 4, 2017

Legally none. At least not as you've described the situation. Practically you could try doing what he says. After all isn't he paying the bills.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Iowa on
Q: Q: Both my aunt and only cousin passed away, cousin in 2005, aunt in 2006. I am the only living relative and in wills.

The estates were probated and settled. Years later a number of trust accounts have appeared as Iowa unclaimed property. The accounts have been mostly depleted with some positive balance.

Q 1. Who is responsible for the error?

Q2. If the accounts were valued more at the death of... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Jun 19, 2017

If there were a TRUST at the time of passing, the successor Trustee should have managed this -- it would NOT have gone through or been the responsibility of the Estate representatives.

This highlights the importance of people keeping their records in order to insure their heirs will know...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Iowa on
Q: If items are in my fathers name and my name, can his wife take those items in a divorce?

My fathers wife is greedy. She kissed our butts while they were dating. The moment they were married it all changed. She had him do everything for her and her kids. She has 4 kids whom have significant others, 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. She pays for anything they ask for. Her 1st... Read more »

Jesse Michael Marzen
Jesse Michael Marzen
answered on Apr 27, 2017

Your step-mother may, or may not, be able to take the items that are listed in yours and his names. It depends on when the item was purchased, and how title to that items got into your and his names. If the item was purchased before he and your stepmother were married, then it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Iowa on
Q: Iowa. Ex left state with children. No court custody arrangement. I'm on the birth Certificates. What to file?..No money
Jesse Michael Marzen
Jesse Michael Marzen
answered on Apr 28, 2017

There are resources available to help you. For starters, the Iowa Judicial Branch has forms available for folks to represent themselves. Link: Also, the Iowa State Bar Association has a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Criminal Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it illegal for my mom to threaten to kill herself in front of me? I am 13
Nicholas A. Sarcone
Nicholas A. Sarcone
answered on Feb 17, 2017

It is probably not illegal for your mom to threaten to kill herself. If she threatened you, that would be illegal. However, you might considering calling a suicide prevention hotline and asking for help. The police may also be able to help.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Iowa on
Q: I am a male to female transgender how much will it cost to change my name
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 9, 2016

You technically can do that yourself, but I think it's worth your getting a legal consultation to make sure that you get a checklist/don't miss a step.

LAMBDA may have a local group that could assist. Other than that, you pay for publication of a legal notice, pay for a court...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.