Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Pennsylvania Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: If I was locked up but wasn’t found guilty can I still get a job
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 2, 2021

If you mean does it show up as a conviction it should not. It depends on the job--if it involves a security clearance, some can be denied even if you were not convicted.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can I sue Wells Fargo for an unauthorized charge which has since caused me financial hardship?

I had a car loan through Wells Fargo. I traded in that car to Carvana who agreed to pay off the loan. I have documentation from Wells Fargo that the loan was payed off in full 4/19/21. However, I was still charged my monthly payment of 408 on 4/25/21 through auto pay. This caused my wife’s and my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 11, 2021

1. Go to a wells fargo bank and find out why you can't sign on.

2. Get the records printed out at the bank.

3. Once you have those, keep them and only send copies.

4. Ask Wells fargo for a return of the autopay, and the related charges. The AMC stock is too far a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: what if I unknowingly deposited a fraudulant check?

My boyfreind is in cape town. His UK bank account was locked so he had me send him my own funds through bitcoin. Now he had a "client" send me a check to deposit in my account so he could pull it through Krakken. The bank closed my account and said the check is fraudulant. I called... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 4, 2021

Ask the bank to verify it. But it sounds fishy. You should be able to get your funds out of the bank. You sent your money to someone in S.Africa whose UK bank account was locked? That does look like more than a few red flags. Your boyfriend didn't even pay but had a "client" pay?... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: I joined a class action lawsuit against woodforrest bank in 2012 . I never heard back , can you find my award

In 2012 I was sent a letter from a lawyer about joining a class action lawsuit against Woodforest bank. I never heard back and until recently hadn't though about it . But when I did I learned that lawsuits against woodforest bank have been settled . I dont remember the lawyer or the case I... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Feb 1, 2021

If this were a federal court case you can do a federal court docket search to find the pleadings and lead counsel.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Pennsylvania on
Q: What's the next step after police to you about being involved in credit card fraud investigation of $20.00

Accidental credit card fraud. I used someone else's credit card to make a purchase. I then tried to make another purchase with card and it didn't work. I tried to use the card again. The screen then said something about card being offline. I used a different card the for the purchase and... Read more »

Ellis B. Klein
Ellis B. Klein answered on Nov 24, 2020

Do NOT speak to the police without a warrant. More information is needed to give you advice. Did you know the person whose credit card it was? If not, you could be charged with felonies, including access device fraud, theft, identity theft. If you knew the person, if they say you did not nave... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Collections for Pennsylvania on
Q: My wife has a credit card that she continues to use after there were discussions to eliminate it.

I have no idea on the balance or what she has charged on it, and she refuses to show me. She's using our Money Market to make payments, which have ranged from $700 - $1200 / month. How can I legally obtain access to review that account, so I can properly proceed with budgeting and/or further... Read more »

W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr. answered on Oct 27, 2020

If you are not an authorized signator on the credit card account, you would only be in a position to compel disclosure in either a domestic relations or bankruptcy court setting.

Her refusal to share details with you about that account is foreboding. Perhaps, to make it "fair",...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Found out a judgement was filed in 2003 against my husband house by Sherman acquition limited for Sears Roebuck company

Is there a statue of limitations all info is old can I get it off my lien

Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko answered on Oct 26, 2020

In Pennsylvania a judgment lasts forever until it is paid. However, it constitutes a lien only for five years, unless it is renewed. Thus, if this judgment was not renewed, the judgment remains, but it does not constitute a lien unless and until it were to be renewed.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Employment Law, Banking and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Which box to check on the “Pennsylvania Department of State bureau of corporations and charitable organizations” form?

For amendment, withdrawal, cancellation boxes

Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz answered on Aug 2, 2020

There are dozens of forms on that website and each one has detailed instructions. Without knowing what form you are referring to or what the purpose is of the form, it’s not possible to say which box should be checked.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: My husband and I are in the divorce process. I just found out he refinanced the house w/o my knowledge. Is this legal?

My husband (soon ex) and I built a house together 3 years ago. Due to criminal charges and domestic he was evicted from the home and I live here with our children. We are both on the deed as well as his father (who helped us) but I am not on the home loan, just my husband and his father. I just got... Read more »

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Aug 1, 2020

If he signed mortgage documents without you joining in, you are unaffected by the new mortgage documents.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: If my brother helped me get a loan am I able to legally get on the registration as I am the one paying everything

He asked them to put me on loan at dealet ship they said no and we Cannot get insurance as it is at two different address and it is mine just in his name?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 29, 2019

Whoever's name is on the title legally owns the car; it does not matter who pays the payments. And the owner's insurance company will probably not allow him to buy insurance for a car that is not kept at his address.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Is there any way I can get control of a 529 plan lost to the other parent in a divorce?

I am 18 about to go to college and my father accidentally ended up with my 529 plan in his name (as opposed to my mother owning it) during their divorce. The amount in the 529 would cover my cost of attendance for 4 years at my university, but he is planning on only using half of it and forcing my... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 8, 2019

If your father and mother are divorced, and if there is a written agreement (or court order) detailing the division of marital assets, it is highly unlikely that your father "accidentally ended up with your 529 plan in his name."

Indeed, it is much more likely that the two...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: What do i do if my bank is trying to keep my ssi deposit
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 21, 2019

FYI: All banks in Pennsylvania--and all other states--are very highly regulated; banks do not just keep someone's SSI deposit without very good reason--like to cover an overdraft. If you are still unhappy, contact the appropriate state or federal regulator supervising your bank.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: So basically my friends friend gave her bank info to my friend and she gave it to a person that was gonna add money i

She gave the persons info to someone else they then the person that did that added a check to the account what do my friend do ?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

Other than complain to the local police about this theft, there is little else your friend can do--except stop giving out her banking information to anyone--including her friends of friends of friends...

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: I transferred some money from my bank through Bank of America and the money did not go through but is held by them.

They are not returning the funds or communicating in person with my bank. What are my options!!

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 28, 2018

You sure it was the real bank of America? This sounds odd. Your bank was the transfer agent so they should make you whole. But before you lay that on them.

Start by getting all the transaction documents. Then send them to the Banking Commission in Harrisburg and also to the Banking...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Pennsylvania on
Q: I have a joint account with my grandfather who passed away I December. I am the primary acct holder on the account.

Do I have to do anything to close it out

Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall answered on Sep 25, 2018

Call the bank to make sure it was a joint account "with right of survivorship" (sometimes abbreviated "JWROS"). If so, there's nothing you need to do and the money in that account is yours now.

Best of luck to you.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Divorce for Pennsylvania on
Q: Do I file bankruptcy?

Im in the middle of a divorce, both names on the house and car. Ex got the car, and I got the house. He let the car get repossessed and I was not notified that it was until the day of by the ex. Now bank is trying to sue us both. Also I cant afford the house, its one whole paycheck of mine and Ive... Read more »

Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush answered on Apr 12, 2018

If you have an attorney for your divorce, discuss this with her/him. When a bankruptcy action is filed, it places an automatic stay on all state court actions. That means that the PA court cannot proceed in your divorce action until either the bankruptcy has been completed or dismissed, or the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: my mother is in the icu. Her boyfriend took her check book, wrote himself a check for 250 signed her name. what do I do?

she is not awake and in no way gave consent for him to sign. I am her poa and have been motoring her bank account and paying bills for her. He did not tell me about it and is unaware I have a cess to her account. They are not married nor have children together, there is no joint account. What legal... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Mar 22, 2018

you need to notify the bank immediately if a check was paid on a "forged necessary endorsement"--namely her signature or the signature of the person using the check. He will have to put the money in the account. A problem may be that it sounds like he is in her house.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Divorce and Probate for Pennsylvania on
Q: My mother remarried and found an old bank account of deceased husbands. Why can she not access the money?

It's been 10 years since he passed , she has had her last name changed, she says she needs to divorce her current husband and have her name changed back. Is this true? She is trying to take the money for herself and I need to know if I'm entitled to a share of it as I am his biological... Read more »

Michael Drew Raisman
Michael Drew Raisman answered on Mar 28, 2018

If the bank account is in her deceased husband's name, then she may need to open up his estate. The bank probably will not give her the funds until she begins probate. In that case, she'll either need to present the will to the Register of Wills (of which you would then be entitled to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: How can I start & fund a business?

Business, Business Law, Formation, Costs etc.

Nancy L Lanard
Nancy L Lanard answered on Dec 23, 2017

Your question is way too broad to be answered in this forum. You should consult an experienced business attorney and accountant who can assist you figure out if you should operate as a corporation, limited liability company or a sole proprietorship. Additionally, the attorney would need an... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Civil Litigation and Consumer Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Can a bank back out of an already done deal on auto financing because i drive for lyft?

The paperwork was already done and I have possession of my car. After a week of having it the dealership said the bank saw I drive for lyft on my facebook and they are dropping my financing. Is this legal? It didn't even say I was using my new car to drive for lyft.

@Salim U. Shaikh... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.