Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Ohio on
Q: Is it illegal to build a snowman using snow from someone else's property?

They don't have a fenced in yard or any signs that say private property.

Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp answered on Sep 23, 2021

It sounds like you may be trespassing on their property. For a definitive answer you need to sit down with a local criminal defense attorney to evaluate the specifics of your situation.

Best of luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Colorado on
Q: My ex-wife and I still have a home together. Divorced three years, she is still there. I would like to get out now.

I left three years ago and she said she needed to stay until she could qualify for a loan. I have allowed it for three years and never said a word. Now she is dragging her feet and doe snot want to do it. Even though I have offered to help and do all the paperwork, calls and leg work for her.... Read more »

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Sep 23, 2021

this depends on what you divorce decree says about the house. The court will enforce the terms of the decree. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: What lawyer do I contact? Received a UCC filing because my husband didn't sign closing paperwork on a property.

My husband is a volunteer for our home owners association, he's the President. The association was selling vacant property and there was a company that wanted to purchase it. They agreed on a price, however, at the closing, the realtor had added $500 to her commission and my husband would... Read more »

Barbara Billiot Stage
Barbara Billiot Stage answered on Sep 22, 2021

You need to contact a real estate litigator. There are real estate attorneys who do closings and other transactional business, real estate litigators who do court cases and real estate attorneys who do both. Both is preferable. There are some pieces of information missing from this so it's... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Buenas tardes, necesito saber quien puede hacer un plano de mensura y cual es el costo promedio de esta diligence en PR.

Good afternoon, I would like information on who to contract an engineer to do a land Survey in PR.

Rafael Pagan
Rafael Pagan answered on Sep 22, 2021

Buenas tardes. Mi oficina utiliza los servicios del ingeniero Iván Robles Ramos cuando necesitamos planos y certificaciones de mensura. Su teléfono es el (787) 860-6865.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia on
Q: I own a property jointly with my brother. He is refusing to pay half the property taxes. What do I do?
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 22, 2021

You might consider an action for a Sale For Partition.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for New York on
Q: My mother (90) owns her home in Huntington. She would like to add her 2 daughters to the title. What is the process?

Can we do this by completing a form or do we need to get a lawyer? Can we file electronically? I live in Maryland, but her house is in New York. Thank you.

Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay answered on Sep 22, 2021

In order to add additional parties to title, a new deed must be executed. Unfortunately, technology advances, such as esignatures have moved forward faster than our legal system has adapted. Therefore, it is necessary to executed wet ink copies of the deed and accompanying transfer documents that... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Can my ex roommate sue me?

my roommate wants to take me to court for rent. So as far as i know when you pay rent it's for the upcoming month right? Well i paid at the end of June which means i paid to stay in the apartment in July. And in August i moved out and got my name off the lease. I did let them know in the... Read more »

Jonathon Maddox
Jonathon Maddox answered on Sep 21, 2021

Generally you would pay for the upcoming month, yes. Obviously every contract can be different though, so it would depend on when you originally paid and what the deal was. What does the tenant agreement say? When does the specific month-to-month start/stop? (oftentimes it's the first of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: Buying house cash Owner gets to rent back 6 mo. free w/ lease Owner is hoarder what happens if owner refuses to leave
Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

Once you own the house and the former owner refuses to leave, you are in the position of Landlord and Tenant. You evict them. I would be sure to give them the 60 day notice of termination of tenancy, 60 days before the lease is up. If they hold over you can give them a 3 day notice to quit.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: Can a parent living in my home have the right to to tear down the ceiling with no intent to fix it?

I’m told my father can do anything to the property because he lives in my home.

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

Sooo many issues. Who owns the property? They have the right to say who can make changes to the property. You say "my home" what does that mean? Do you own it? Are you over 18? You can evict your father if you own the property and are over 18. If your father is damaging the property... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Traffic Tickets for California on
Q: How can the IT certification file before corporate burial services allocation that the lifecycle have discharge...upon?

Discharge...timeline for ex. AD or BC etc., Instructions Acanthosis Nigricans-solution; Benadryl Itch Stopping 1-0, 1% Cream...Extreme color code 'neck'-food safety or field marshal commission/Institute Risk Management Merchant ship port--tech, imperial, admiral, ambassador, or nonprofit... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Sep 21, 2021

I have to admit that I don't really understand your question, but I can tell you that this is not Divorce, Family Law, Real Estate or Traffic tickets, and if you don't post in the right category then attorneys who CAN understand your question won't see it. You might want to contact... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Ohio on
Q: Why don’t HOA’s allow essential critical infrastructure workers, emergency plumber, park their vehicles at their homes?

When renting the home I was not told or given any information about the HOA, nothing in the lease. I am trying to work w HOA, even tho legally they should be dealing with home owners, but they are just condescending, rude, and bullying throwing their attorneys around. I have been nothing but... Read more »

Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap answered on Sep 21, 2021

HOAs are governed by a set of rules specified in a declaration that has been recorded in the county records and is binding on all the home owners and any others staying in any of the homes. The HOA rules provide fines or legal action for violations. They typically prohibit outside parking of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Missouri on
Q: Can a neighbor sue the HOA for them putting a lien on the property over tree trimming in this case?

My HOA president is verbally saying that townhouse owners are responsible for tree trimming. The "community handbook" I was provided when I purchased the townhome 3 months ago very clearly says the HOA is responsible if the tree is 5' away from the unit. The covenants are vague and... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Sep 21, 2021

Anyone can sue for anything. The neighbor could sue for slander of title regarding the lien. There is no guaranty that the neighbor will win, however, and I have a hunch that the HOA's declaration has a one-sided attorneys' fee provision. That means if the HOA wins in litigation it can... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois on
Q: How can I sell off my condo without my mother's presence?

I recently paid off the mortgage to my condo that my mother also has a name to it. We've been wanting to sell our condo for awhile, but when the pandemic hits, my mother doesn't want to do any travelling. She resides in Georgia. I live in the condo in Illinois. Both of our names are on... Read more »

Kori Maria Bazanos
Kori Maria Bazanos answered on Sep 21, 2021

Sellers typically do not attend the closings of the sale of the property. The sellers will execute the requisite closing documents in advance. Though I do not know the precise details of your proposed sale, I believe your mother can most likely execute the requisite documents in Georgia and send... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: Private house Section 8

I would like to know If I should hire a lawyer.

I am on Section 8 and I live in a private house. The house I live in was sold, the new owner has been harassing, intimidating me and now he says he wants to evict me because I complained to the city. I have a year lease that was put in place... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on Sep 21, 2021

Call 311 and report these violations. The City will be on this immediately.

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: Pennsylvania. Is this the wording of an easement?

Excepting and reserving therefrom all that certain piece or parcel of land set forth in a deed from the grantors herein to John smith which premises are a portion of within described premises and are described in a map referenced in the deed from Mr Jones to John Smith

Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko answered on Sep 20, 2021

No, it is not an easement.

The original parcel contained some land which was conveyed to John Smith. The deed that you are asking about conveyed everything else except for the part conveyed to John Smith.

Rather than have the land re-surveyed and new legal descriptions prepared,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas on
Q: I was listed as a co-signer on a rental lease in Texas for my daughter, and now she is being sued for back rental paymen

I was listed as a co-signer on a rental lease in Texas for my daughter, and now she is being sued for back rental payments in excess of $45,000. I was never aware that I was a co-signer and thought I was just listed on the lease as being an occupant since I only stayed there a few weeks a month to... Read more »

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. answered on Sep 20, 2021


I am a parent also.

So if you never signed anything at all, then you can probably get out of this mess. If you did sign, you need to defend yourself if the lawsuit has been filed. If you get served with sue-papers, do not ignore them. Get to a lawyer, and defend yourself....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: Will we need legal help?

The owner of the house we just signed a lease/paid deposit for was working with a property management company but has fired them for his own reasons. They still have the property listed for rent, the lockbox hasn't been removed, and we want to make sure we're covered. We have a lease... Read more »

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. answered on Sep 20, 2021

If you have a lease signed by the home owner, you are in good shape. On the first day of the lease, you need to be there and occupy the house. That will solidify your tenancy. I would talk to the owner to confirm your move-in date. The fact that you paid the deposit puts you in good shape legally.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: i got a reverse mortgage loan. the company said they would pay insurance , they haven’t done so and it expired

the contract says insurance and taxes need to be kept up I am really concerned

John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. answered on Sep 20, 2021

So you are right to be concerned.

If the agreement between you and the mortgage company requires them to pay for home insurance, then they are obligated to do so. If that is true your best move is to send the mortgage company a certified letter demanding that they provide coverage. If they...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Collections for New York on
Q: I'm i obligated to property or home if im not the executer ie liens
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay answered on Sep 20, 2021

Please try to ask your question more clearly for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.