Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Rhode Island Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island on
Q: My mother in law constantly puts her mitts on things that don't belong to her in an area deemed as a private area.

My mother lives in an area that is shared with my mother in law's things, but was given a clear division line for "her room". These spaces share a common door, however, every time we leave the house, my mother in law enters my mom's space, moves things around that do not belong... Read more »

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Nov 27, 2017

Your remedies will depend on whether she is a guest or a tenant. If she is a guest, you might ask her to leave if she continues this behavior you find unacceptable. If she is a tenant, you may have to file a formal eviction.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Small Claims for Rhode Island on
Q: Can I take someone to court because they threw out my things that was at their house after an argument?
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Sep 6, 2017

Small claims court is open to everyone. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Rhode Island on
Q: Can i file a police report on a person who makes me want to commit suicide

I was wondering if i can file a report on a girl that bullies me and made me have suicidal thoughts.

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Jun 25, 2017

A civil restraining order is something you might also consider.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Rhode Island on
Q: Do I have legal recourse, monetary claim against state agency?

My stupid led to a night in the ACI. I was wearing jewelry approximate retail value of about $30k. This occurred back in 2011 I was shocked that their procedure was to take all my jewelry and belongings put it into 8 by 11 mailer and mail it out with no tracking what so ever: fyi they do now. They... Read more »

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford answered on Jun 25, 2017

After six years have lapsed, it is unlikely you will get to a satisfactory resolution.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Rhode Island on
Q: How can it be legal to refuse service based on one's political beliefs?

I mean, I could then as a restaurant owner refuse to serve someone simply because I don't agree with their politics? That's hard to believe if true..

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 11, 2016

This is a complicated question that courts are dealing with right now. The law is unsettled. Equal Protection v. Freedom of Expression pits the First and Fourteenth Amendments against each other.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.