Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alaska Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Alaska on
Q: Who to contact regarding Alaska OCS repeatedly failing to appear for court for hearing to determine return of children?

The assigned attorney fails to give briefings before the hearings and fails to offer any advice. She is pretty much just a County paid paper pusher.

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jul 21, 2021

When you or your attorney calls OCS, you can generally ask for the immediate supervisor of the assigned worker. If that doesn't work, you can usually get the next person up. Keep going as far as you can. If necessary, try the Juneau main office. In some cases, the state Ombudsman can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: Can a company use screenshots taken from a private message on social media to discipline an employee?

A coworker’s social media account was accessed by another employee on a work computer. Screenshots were taken by employee who was not intended recipient. They are being used against me in a disciplinary meeting. Neither of the intended parties gave permission for screenshots to be taken of... Read more »

Greg Mansell
Greg Mansell answered on Nov 6, 2019

If you work for a private employer, yes. Your employer can take action. The employee who intercepted them, however, may have violated laws in how they were obtained.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: My 19 month old was taken without notification an unfounded. How do I get her back now?!

My 19 year old daughter took my 19 month old for an overnight visit she went to OCS and she said the father and I are on heroin which is unfounded and a lie we both have random UA's for different reasons. him-Court reasons and myself-my doctor. it is a completely false allegation my daughter... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jul 22, 2019

Call OCS (269-4000 if you're in Anchorage). Give your child's name and ask to be connected with the assigned social worker. You'll probably get voicemail, so leave all your contact info and let him/her know you have not received notice. If you don't reach the social worker... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Civil Rights and Construction Law for Alaska on
Q: How can I get a pro bono? I need one for a criminal case. Can you please point me in the right direction.

All the help I can get would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Feb 9, 2019

The public defender is the one who provides legal services to the people without funds

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: OCS took my kid because I admitted to a previous urine analysis but am now in treatment

They gave my daughter to the parents of the father in which I have a restraining order on. Can they do that? I am a very good mother and always have been

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 18, 2018

You should have an attorney by now either appointed or retained.

You should be directing these questions to your attorney

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Alaska on
Q: If a judge gives you a third party as bail and tells you he will not approve a civil rights violation
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 5, 2018

What is a third party as bail and under what circumstances did the judge not approve?

You have a criminal case, therefore you have an attorney.

Have you asked your attorney?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Alaska on
Q: So, the police in my city took my firearm as evidence back in december and the prosecutor sent them the release in Jan.

The detective still will not release my firearm when I am the owner of it and no crime was commited. What do I need to do to get my property back?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Apr 16, 2018

Send the detective a certified letter requesting release of the property or the reasons why the property is not being released. If there is no response, you should contact a lawyer and have him send a letter prior to filing suit.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: If i taken care of my children all the years and father tries to take them away is it possible he can take them?

And he has been on child support for years and has never been present ever not even a birthday or holiday and barely any phone calls made. Is it possible he can take them away from me?

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jan 25, 2018

If you have a custody order, then his rights are defined by that. If you have never gotten a custody order from the court, then you both have equal rights. In that case, you should file a Custody Complaint in court, and get the court to determine what is appropriate. If the father has not had... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: Can they take my kids because I was going to the battered woman's shelter?
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Feb 13, 2017

No, there must be evidence of abuse or neglect, or failure to protect from abuse at the hands of another. That may or may not be present when a battered woman's shelter is involved. If there has been domestic violence, the question is whether the children have been exposed to it, and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.