Entertainment / Sports Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Entertainment / Sports Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Entertainment / Sports for Maryland on
Q: Hi! I was given an offer by a music company, and I wanted to know if this contract seems good before signing!


Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
answered on Jun 29, 2022

You are going to need to consult with an attorney that practices Entertainment law to review the contract and suggest changes or warn you about any issues. You should expect an attorney to charge for his or her time. There are many good attorneys out there and you can look for one on Justia or... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Entertainment / Sports for Nevada on
Q: Non-Refundable Event Ticket

A friend purchased 4 tickets. I am trying to refund my ticket as I will not be able to make it. The event says they will not be doing refunds. Is this legal in the state of Nevada? What are my rights to a refund?

Q: Can I patent a new form of fantasy sports?

If I have an idea for a new way to approach fantasy football (though it would be applicable to other sports too) that builds off of what is already in the public space, can I patent that?

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and Trademark for California on
Q: I would like to sell clothing that is inspired by the tv character “Meekah”. I see Blippi clothing sold on Etsy.

Currently no items out on Meekah character only related character Blippi. Could I ask permission to sell clothing with similar colors and not the name on the clothing?

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Entertainment / Sports for North Carolina on
Q: Of two reservations at an Airbnb, which qualifies for 48 hour refund policy, the first or second?

I reserved an Airbnb in Colorado on 5/31 for 7/1/22. I then changed the reservation on 6/3 to 7/4. I canceled this reservation on same day, 7/3. The refund policy is full refund within 48 hours after reservation. The Airbnb has refused me the refund, because they take into account only the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Can I create car blog with ads based on photos from major car makers if they are label for “editorial use only”?

I want to create blog of cars that showcases the design of the car with little to no actual articles. Do I have to write an article to use the photos if they are labeled “reproduction for editorial use only”? Also, I know I can’t get paid from the photos, but can I put ads on the site on make... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Gaming and Intellectual Property for Georgia on
Q: Game Copyrights, and Intellectual Property

I am planning on making a 2D Platformer game (when finished, I want it to be released on Steam, and possibly outside of the US if sales are good). I will be making the music for the game - I don't know too much on how copyrights work besides the fact that I have to file it, and I don't... Read more »

Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
Fritz-Howard Raymond Clapp
answered on Mar 28, 2022

The game product you envision has elements that, as the fruits of your original creative effort, are separate subjects of copyright: the code, the visual appearance, and the music. To assure the greatest protection for your work(s), you should register the copyright in each of these elements. Then... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Constitutional Law, Entertainment / Sports and Intellectual Property for Texas on
Q: Is fair use subject to interpretation regardless of facts?

If I record a full cover (track and vocal) of a popular song, and release it on social media with no compensation, no expectation of compensation, no request for monetary support, strictly for the purpose of exhibition, entertainment, and to receive interaction (comments and/or likes) from viewers,... Read more »

Liliana Di Nola-Baron
Liliana Di Nola-Baron
answered on Mar 2, 2022

You should consult an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Entertainment / Sports for Pennsylvania on
Q: I want to create a Subsidiary under my current LLC. Do I create the Subsidiary as a new company with a separate ein?
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
answered on Jan 16, 2022

This question is far to general for a forum like this. You should meet with your attorney and your CPA to discuss why you are creating a new company, and also whether it should be a subsidiary of your current LLC. Also depends on the tax status of your current LLC

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Entertainment / Sports on
Q: If there is an evacuation, do cinemas refund your money if the evacuation started in the middle or start of the movie?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 18, 2021

A state or territory is not included here, so there could be state-specific consumer laws that might be relevant. As a general matter nationwide, it could depend on the terms of the ticket and nature of the incident. Personal injury is included as a category here - if the matter were to involve... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for Mississippi on
Q: Can I place a sports bet at a casino in Mississippi for a friend?

My friend isn’t able to travel to Mississippi so I was going to place a sports bet for him. Is that okay?

Hiten H Patel
Hiten H Patel
answered on Nov 16, 2021

No. Also, the casino will not allow you to place a sports wager using another persons name.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Entertainment / Sports, Gaming and Trademark for Georgia on
Q: I would like to get this company together for the first few months and then I’ll get it to up and running in no time

I have a question about how my life would be if I got this company and how much money would be made for my future and family is it sure success in the business or what I do need to know if I going to make my money back in wholesale or whole period

Linda Liang
Linda Liang
answered on Oct 7, 2021

This question is very general. Many issues you need to address to stay out of trouble. The most common matter is your trademark. You should conduct a research and make sure you are not using others' trademark. Preferably, you should register your own trademark. Other matters include... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Entertainment / Sports for Virginia on
Q: I recently got a record deal for distribution through universal just wondering if someone could look over it for me
Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger
answered on Aug 28, 2021

Sure. If you email it to me, I can take a quick look to give you a quote to review in full.

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports on
Q: Can i use screenshots of getty and Shutterstock for informative and educative fact videos on youtube?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Aug 14, 2021

I would not recommend that

They tend to chase people who use their content without permission

Consult with an attorney

2 Answers | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Internet Law and Trademark on
Q: Under what agreement do I have to register my company which currently own a production company?

This company is mostly about making entertainments videos, movies,dramas,films and musics which is what I aim to achieve on this company. That is why i want to know how I can register it. At the moment we are screwed. The company has more than 44 new volunteer applicants.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Aug 6, 2021

It is unclear what your question or need is.

You need the assistance of an attorney to identify your next steps.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Intellectual Property for New York on
Q: Can I use the name of a fictional city from a movie in my book?

The name used in the movie is “Koriko” while I’ll use “Corico City”. The cities won’t be similar in any way. I wanted to use the name to pay homage to the movie, but am worried about copyright infringement. Thank you!

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Jul 12, 2021


Consult with an attorney to search for use of the name and whether there is any registration.

Best luck!

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Entertainment / Sports for New York on
Q: Lost racket at sports club,found by employee, left in their office and then disappeared from there. Can I take action?

I left my racket at a sports club of which I wasn't a member. The coach picked it up and confirmed by email that he had it and had left it in his office. Then the COVID crisis hit so I was unable to visit the club to pick it up. The staff member was furloughed and never returned. Now the club... Read more »

Gregory J. Tarone
Gregory J. Tarone
answered on Jul 10, 2021

Yes, you can bring an action for replevin to return your personal property to you. That email acknowledging possession is an indication of having possession of your chattel. Assuming the coach is an employee, the owner of the club is responsible also, so sue them both. If the racket is worth less... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: Is it alright to use the Santa Cruz logo but change the name instead?
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Jun 30, 2021


You must consult with an attorney to evaluate your options and risks

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for California on
Q: What are my chances with an Incidental Fair Use Defense? and how much to Defend my rights?

I'm a journalist with a Youtube channel that covers local news at Venice Beach. I did a 30-minute story on the reopening of Venice Skate park and during the story, you can hear 60 seconds of incidental music playing in the background. I received a copyright notice from the music owner.... Read more »

Robert Philip Cogan
Robert Philip Cogan
answered on May 24, 2021

Based on the limited set of facts, this appears to be worth looking into. We are not allowed to seek business through the Q&A. You need to look someone up in the Justia Lawyer Directory. However, I would note that I work with LA County and Ventura County.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.