Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New York Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: It’s been a month & a half since I was illegally evicted from my apartment. Am I still able to attempt sue my landlord?

I want to sue my landlord for illegally evicting me, not contacting me to let me know about mail ive received there (with proof of delivery of a couple things),for emotional distress, for consistent use of intimidation and scare tactics both virtual and physical, attempted defamation of character,... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for New York on
Q: Can a nonprofit school in NYC use an ITC tax deduction from installing solar to pay fewer employment taxes?

My school is a nonprofit in NYC that does not pay federal/state income tax, but they do pay employer taxes. If we install solar on campus, can we use the solar tax credit for employment taxes?

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: My daughter lives in New York City and co-signed an apartment lease with my wife and I as guaranteers.

The landlord is threatening to sue my daughter for supposedly back rent and the back rent of others who he allowed to live in the apartment at the same time my daughter did. He is sending threatening email and text to my wife and I as well. My wife and I live in Arizona. My daughter requested a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: Need an advice about room renting issue

Last month, I went to visit a room-rental house and paid a deposit without signing a lease agreement. (But a paper that proves that I had already paid the deposit). And now, I do not want to rent there anymore. Is the action I make against the law? Again, there is no lease agreement signed, but... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for New York on
Q: USCIS, I-485 Adjustment status is out of normal processing time, Pending security checks

I got my adjustment status pending,

Filed it July of 2018 in NY, then moved and changed an address to Florida in January of 2019,

now they say security checks pending..

Why is it that slow, I have no criminal records, never had one..

How to move it from a dead point?

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Sep 17, 2021

It is a typical situation as the personnel shortage, changing the address, pandemic case backups and other USCIS priorities create a definite delay for many applicants.

You may call the USCIS Customer Service number from your received correspondence, ask to speak with a live agent from...
Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: How likely is it that my former landlord will sue me for past rent (after a rent strike)?

I am involved in a rent strike along with many of the tenants in the three buildings owned my the landlord. I have recently moved out. For the past 2 years, my rent payments were sent to the lawyer representing the tenants' organization, and placed in an escrow account. The amount I have... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York on
Q: Me and my ex boyfried broke up over a month ago and im trying to get custody of my dog back

shooter was given to me 5 years ago by him cus he was abused by his ex...he gave me the dog and payed for his shots but made it very clear the dog is mine...i have proof in messages...i was out of town for a month and he said he will take care of him until i get back to my moms and he now is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for New York on
Q: Consumption by Fraudulent Means. Is there a law against this in NYS

I was slipped an illegal substance in my drink unknowingly. There are witnesses. I later had my urine tested. It tested positive for thc. I have eye witnesses. This has caused me mental anguish and anxiety. Do I have a civil case?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 17, 2021

Yes. You have a battery case (as in assault and battery). However, if the person has no money, you may win but not collect. Also, if the only effect is anxiety be aware that courts require proof of mental harm, and some states have more stringent requirments.Contact a member of the NY State Trial... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for New York on
Q: Can my job force me to travel to another county to take their covid test, without reimbursement of tolls?

I work at a weird little campus of Columbia University that is located in Rockland County across the river from NYC. Columbia has mandatory vaccination which I have had and random surveillance testing. They offered testing on my campus up through July, and then stopped. I was randomly selected for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Probate for New York on
Q: Is it true that two-thirds of the siblings have to agree on disposition of body if a single person w/no kids dies in WA?

Parents deceased. There seems to be no will or designated agent.

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: What do i do if im being accused of duplicate check fraud?

Hello, im being threatened by payomatic saying they are going to file police report because of a check that was deposited twice on accident. My boyfriend mobile deposited a check and without me knowing this I took the same check to payomatic and they cashed it, i wasnt aware of this until i was... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Business Law and Lemon Law for New York on
Q: NY business law section 198-B. My car sales person tells me there is no warranty on the used vehicle I'm buying, help?

I have inquired about an express warranty and mentioned that I've never heard of any "dealer" selling a car with out at least a small warranty protecting the consumer from expensive repairs for the first month (or so) after their vehicle purchase. He and one other employee both have... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: I was wondering if I could be criminally charged for giving information that lead to a person committing a crime

I told a friend some information that I had recently discovered about a mutual Acquaintance. My friend used this information to rob and assault the acquaintance. My intent wasn't to create a situation where a crime would be committed

0 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for New York on
Q: I have a question about my car

I have a question I just got a car from a car dealership and when it rains it pouring threw my sunroof and messnup stuff And it’s messing up my car roof interior and I have not had it 30days but I took the car back to get fix and the same thing,

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for New York on
Q: I'm fearful of health an safety of my great grandaughter is involved with drug addict

Hes psychotic extremely bad,has madexthreats to kill my grandaughter an baby.she continues to stay in that environment.been working with cps whom is of little help what can be done

Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich answered on Sep 15, 2021

Unfortunately, as a grandparent there isn't much that can be done if CPS doesn't feel that court intervention is necessary.

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for New York on
Q: Does a reliquish of rights in a child custody case go into affect the day it was signed?

I signed a voluntary reliquish of rights in front of a notary and witnesses. It is stamped and dated. Does that go into affect the day it was signed? I filed it into court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.