Gaming Q&A by State

Your current state is Virginia

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States »

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Gaming Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Gaming on
Q: licensing in video games and music

if i were to add a music player to my racing video game that is connected directly to the official site like for example adding spotify support or yt so the players can listen to music they want, would I have to pay for some license to do such a thing?

0 Answers | Asked in Gaming for Pennsylvania on
Q: Minecraft servers asks my child to take control of the family computer and more...

My son has recently been playing on some minecraft pvp servers, he seems pretty decent at it, he can use several of the "good player" clicking methods like jitter and butterfly, recently these servers have asked my child to download a program called anydesk and give the server mods full... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Gaming for Minnesota on
Q: I'm beginning the process of making a game on my own to be released digitally. I'm in Minnesota. Do I need a business?

I have concerns over what degree of personal ownership I would have over a company and if it would effect how flexible i can be, I don't know how taxes would work if I successfully sold the product as myself vs a business. I am also concerned there could be liability risk without one, being... Read more »

Robert Kane
Robert Kane
answered on May 22, 2023

Properly forming and maintaining a business entity has great advantages. Protecting your personal assets is one. It's hard to determine your current situation. Is this a solo endeavor or are others involved? Will funding from other sources be needed to market the game? What exactly do you mean... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Gaming and Patents (Intellectual Property) on
Q: Hi, can I make a game with different no. of cards, figures, name that is similar to Spot it or Dobble?

Hi, I'm planning to develop a new named game with 60 no. of cards and different features of figures and images that are similar to how the 'Dobble' or 'Spot It' game is played and planning to distribute as an educational toy within my village in Sri Lanka, am I legally... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Gaming and Intellectual Property on
Q: Query on a legal FAQ point regarding fan works

I have been trying to contact Blizzard Entertainment for almost a year to query a point of their legal FAQ page. In short, I wish to create fan writing using characters from their IP. This would be in blog format, non monetised, with disclaimers to state I am not endorsed by or affiliated with... Read more »

Robert Nichols
Robert Nichols
answered on May 24, 2023

Copyright infringement doesn't technically require that an infringing work of art is published for profit, just that it is published. The concept of fair use sometimes applies when a character has only been portrayed in one medium and the fan art portrays the character in another medium. But... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Gaming and Intellectual Property on
Q: Is it legal to use assets from copyrighted game without distributing the assets?

I WON'T be distributing any of the copyrighted assets. What I mean is that WHEN (and ONLY THEN) the user has LEGALLY PURCHASED GAME X (digitally or otherwise) he can use my project that will READ/USE the assets (images, sounds etc.) and present them in a "game mechanic manner" to the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Gaming, Antitrust, International Law and Internet Law for Indiana on
Q: Is it legal for an online game to double prices for US players when local (Brazilian) players pay the same?

To give a little background, a game established a store to purchase various items for said game. Said game is based out of Brazil. For the last 8 months they charged US players at the currency exchange rate that was processed by PayPal. Now they have adjusted the prices (more than doubled them;... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Gaming and Sexual Harassment for Arizona on
Q: Someone put a spying device in my ear.i went to doctors act like they don't want to remove it. I have a picture of it.

How should I go forward with this? There's people listening.

0 Answers | Asked in Gaming for North Carolina on
Q: You have taken on a powerful new client who doesn't like to lose. They tell you to win the case no matter what

you have to do insenuating that you do something outside of the law.

Would follow their instructions?

A. Yes it isn’t illegal

B. No, I believe in integrity

C. As long as the law is okay with it

D. Why not?

0 Answers | Asked in Gaming for Wisconsin on
Q: What are the legal concerns of running a sweepstakes on a livestream?

I, an individual (not a company), would like to livestream a video game tournament where all players are controlled by the computer and give viewers the opportunity to predict the outcomes of both the tournament as well as the matches. The viewer with the most points at the end of the tournament... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming for New Jersey on
Q: If I owe ezpass and it is in collections will this be a reason why I do not get a Casino License? Can I be arrested?

$2,000 for tolls

$10,000 for fees

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 2, 2023

You are going to need a PA bankruptcy attorney to file for Bankruptcy if you are qualified to do so. Your chances of getting a casino license seem to be highly unlikely. How are you going to get the capital for a casino, if you cannot even pay off these EZ Pass fines and penalties?

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for California on
Q: Could i sue Mobile Strike if they banned me without explanation of what terms i broken and i spent $20k on their game.
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 25, 2023

It may be possible to pursue legal action against Mobile Strike if they banned you without explanation of what terms you broke and you spent $20k on their game. However, the success of such a lawsuit would depend on several factors, including the terms of service that you agreed to when signing up... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Gaming, Intellectual Property and Trademark for Idaho on
Q: I am planning on releasing a tabletop rpg "Raid Master," but a game called Rolemaster already exists. Too close?

My game is nothing like Rolemaster, different system, different theme (Indiana jones inspired while role is fantasy). However I plan on releasing other games with the "-Master" suffix such as "Myth Master," but the publisher also had a "Space Master" at one time and is... Read more »

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 2, 2023

It's difficult to determine whether there is potential for a lawsuit without more information. Generally, the key question in cases involving trademarks is whether there is a likelihood of confusion between the marks. This analysis involves considering a number of factors, such as the... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright and Gaming for California on
Q: I'm an underage game developer on Roblox. I didn't get fully paid. Is the content I made still legally mine?

I was told I would be paid a commission fee and a percentage of revenue. I only received the commission and was told I would not get my percentage. The exact role I had was the lead animator. I took the animations from one program and edited them before importing them into the game engine. In... Read more »

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 16, 2023

As the creator of the animations, you are likely the owner of the copyright in those animations, regardless of whether they were created using another program or were edited from existing animations. However, the exact terms of your agreement with the game developer may affect your rights in the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming and Consumer Law for California on
Q: I’m at Harrahs casino in Southern California and I was misled by a false offer of FreePlay, and reimbursement for travel

When I tried to redeem it, they refused to give it to me. I have pictures on my phone that shows I was offered. That was the only reason why I decided to come I believe it was deceitful, and it was a ploy just to get me into the casino to spend my money, isn’t that illegal? And can I sue?

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 14, 2023

It is possible to pursue legal action against the casino if they misled you with a false offer of FreePlay and reimbursement for travel. If you have evidence in the form of pictures on your phone, that could strengthen your case. It is important to consult with a lawyer who specializes in consumer... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Gaming, Internet Law, Intellectual Property and Trademark on
Q: Is it allowed to take federal symbols (DoJ, FBI..) and to display them in monetized documents, streams and/or games?

Users create and share fictional legal documents with federal symbols and names or even use such symbols in forged documents on their stream and games. It's done frequently (i.e. by role playing communities) and for realism reasons no notice is given about it being fictional.

As this... Read more »

N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
answered on Apr 10, 2023

Generally, you are not allowed to use intellectual property (copyright, trademark, etc.) that belongs to someone else, including the government, without permission. There are some exceptions to the general rule, but they really only apply to a few pretty specific circumstances. Any time that you... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.