Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Florida Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: a neighbor has their camera pointing directly in the backyard, for malice purposes (spying on us). Is this legal?
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on May 17, 2022

Might or might not be. If it's pointed in a direction that would be considered legitimate security purposes for protection of their property, and simultaneously captures a portion of your back yard (and nothing whatsoever inside your home), it may be legal, regardless of motive. However, if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Florida on
Q: A psychologist released psychotherapy notes without consent.

A psychologist released detailed psychotherapy notes without my consent. He disregarded HIPPA. I feel completely violated. This occurred 5/10/22. Numerous employees throughout the large healthcare system now have access to these deeply personal notes. How do I proceed?

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on May 14, 2022

You have a potential court claim for invasion of privacy, and maybe a malpractice claim. With either, there should first be notice of claim and request for disclosure of liability insurance coverage (prelitigation notice being required for malpractice, and optional, but wise, for invasion of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: Are automatic knives legal in the State of Florida?
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on May 13, 2022

If you mean a switchblade, a knife that opens all the way up at the touch of a button, but with the blade staying on the knife, it is legal to possess under State law. However, it is NOT legal to carry it concealed unless you have a concealed weapons permit. See Florida Statutes Chapter 790,... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Education Law, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Florida on
Q: Someone send an anonymous tip to my school saying I brought contraband to school. We’re they allowed to search me

I live in florida, have no previous record about something like this with the school and this anonymous tip is the absolute only thing they had, was this a legal search?

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: 316.183(2) -UNLAWFUL SPEED (IF NO SPEEDS INDICATED) - EXCEEDING SPEED LIMIT no speed indicated. Can I beat this charge?

I sped by a police cruiser while in traffic. I was not speeding. The officer did not like the way I passed him and weaved through traffic lanes.

There is no report on the amount of speed I was traveling. Would I be able to contest this in court and beat the charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: I had the police come to my door today, they left a card saying they need to speak to me? What do I do?

I just move to the state and to my knowledge have done nothing wrong .

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on May 4, 2022

If I were you, I'd ask what they would like to speak to you about. Maybe you were listed as a witness or potential witness to something, even if you know nothing about whatever they're looking into. But another scenario is that, for some reason, you are a crime suspect, such as where... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Health Care Law for Florida on
Q: Can a Dr. knowingly stop their practice w/o informing patients in advance that are on medication maintenance in Florida?

What are the laws regarding a Medical Doctor taking and seeing patients, and the Dr. knows they’re not going to be seeing patients, bc the Board of Medicine is revoking their license, yet continues to see patients right up to the last day that Dr. would have a license, and said nothing! This Dr.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Child Support and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: Pro Se Litigant in a Child Supt action: need to know if the "under color of the law" applies to the Florida Dept of Rev

I am filing an as applied Constitutional Challenge re De Process violations, failure to notify of Driver's License Suspension (3x) or provide a hearing as requested (3x), false notice and fraudulent amounts noted (breach of fiduciary responsibility and care - DOR has twice now reported an... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law and Domestic Violence for Florida on
Q: How can I reclaim my civil right to law enforcement services.

All based on being set up by the man abusing me (emotionally & physically) for the purpose of avoiding arrest. Over 30 incarcerations in 3 years. The trauma was so intensive I was hysterical by the time police arrived & was baker acted. Arrested twice for scratches on his arms. Police &... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: neighbors harassing me and my children since we moved in. Yesterday he banged on my door yelling at me and my toddler.

I was just in an accident and having trouble getting around just from the bedroom to bathroom. It’s been since the 3rd day we moved in. I get it can be noisy but why should my toddler have to sit on a couch and watch tv all day just to please them downstairs. Is there anything I can do seeing how... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: Our code enforcement notice in Hillsborough county Florida has spurred an internal investigation. Do we have any rights?

It was our case specifically that started this investigation. My fiance has had to miss work days and pay money to correct issues that he wasn't ready to pay for. The person making the complaint (who also also for the county) would not give us her name for two weeks, we had to go to the code... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: Good evening I have a question regarding a prior arrest in 2019,which I was wrongfully accused ,at the time I was 8mon

Pregnant with my daughter, I was arrested by Clearwater police I was handcuffed placed in car for 2hours with no water anything, was transported in cuffs to tgk I informed the nurse that my wrist was bruised due to cuffs being tight.

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Apr 24, 2022

You did not ask a question, but I assume you want to know if you can make a claim for money damages. Your description does not give enough information to determine if you have a potential valid claim, or if you are within the time limits to bring certain types of claims applicable to this... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: Is it legal for a policemen to come to my house randomly and start theatening me and my dog saying he saw my car around

I live on 3 acres and have no trespassing sign's. A policemen randomly show's up drives onto my property my dog barked at him and he threatened to hurt my dog then he accuses me of driving on a suspended license saying that if he see's me around driving he is going to arrest me he... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: I have a mold infestation since October along with many other issues. I want to sue, they have been sued before for same

The company is Dasmen Residential and they have not done anything to cure the mold infestation that is constantly gradually getting worse everyday. Can I bring a lawsuit against them for inhumane conditions?

Jane Kim
Jane Kim answered on Mar 28, 2022

You should contact a lawyer directly. Lawyers aren’t showed to solicit your business.

Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Employment Discrimination for Florida on
Q: My barber cancelled my appointment after messing up the previous two haircuts.

He almost completely removed my wisdom lock(the only one I have) I heard and felt when his hands slipped after feeling him tug on it. I immediately reached back to feel what he had done. I said you cut my dread and his response was oops, no apology of any sort, I became very upset and quiet to let... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 23, 2022

Private personal service businesses like barbers, beauticians, doctors, and other similar businesses are not required to provide personal services to everyone As private businesses, they can decide whether they want your business or not.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Probate for Florida on
Q: My dad died suddenly and my siblings have moved into his home where I've been living taking care of him and my sickmom f

With no help from my siblings all along is there anyway I can make them leave my father's home

Phillip William Gunthert
Phillip William Gunthert answered on Mar 8, 2022

I am very sorry for your loss on the passing of your dad, please accept my condolences for you and your family. Generally, you need to do two things, get a copy of the property deed and your dad's Will or Trust. Based on how the property is held via the deed or based on your dad's Will,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: They are UBI programs that are specifically giving funding to ONLY black low income women. Is this discrimination?
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 7, 2022

No. Commercial Banks are allowed to choose who they want to lend money to.

Banks usually lend only to rich people, and no one ever complains about that.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Florida on
Q: civil small claims action, taped it to my door and now I have 5 to reply. A law suit complaint.

My family including my deceased grandmother, my father & mother (alive) as of late my deceased uncle all had trusts. people whom surround my uncle who are posing as attorneys and real estate agents, threatening our tenants, claiming false statements. his late wife has been holding the books she... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Feb 20, 2022

You seem to be asking two separate questions. Something about a rental premises, apparently held in trust. If someone else is the trustee, that person would probably have the right to receive the rent.

If you actually had been sued in small claims court, the summons and complaint could...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation and Civil Rights for Florida on
Q: Exceptions to Florida Workers’ Compensation Immunity

I got ran over by a garbage truck and the person drug test came back positive for cocaine the same day and he got fired. Would that fall into intentional tort because he knew what he was doing was wrong and he could injury someone while driving high, especially a commercial vehicle?

Titus Thomas Nichols
Titus Thomas Nichols answered on Feb 8, 2022

I'm sorry to hear about this horrible incident. In your sceneario it is possible that both the driver and the company that he was driving for would be liable for your injuries. In Georgia, a company may be responsible for the torts committed by its employees. Additionally, there may be... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.