Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Civil Rights Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Is it a civil rights violation of a school district to dismiss bullying complaints of IEP student (autism)?

My son is an 8th grader at a Boston high school. He complained about being bullied by a classmate to the assistant principal. She downplayed his claims and didn't want to call it bullying. He has autism and his IEP is checked as being vulnerable to bullying.

I reported his school to... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Formation, Civil Rights and Gaming for Massachusetts on
Q: holding onto my fund and disabled all function causing me to lose money day by day. What can I do ?

I been using them to purchase bitcoin for months and no problem until 2/20/23 when I tried to send $4,900 worth of BTC to my Robinhood wallet. The transaction was stuck with over a week with no explanation. I tried contacting support and escalation team and they finally reversed the transaction... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Verbal&emotional abuse by guardian of laim assigned in housing court

Spouse who moved out in 1-2023 and I filed for divorce due to domestic violence. The guardian that was assigned to him in housing court verbally abused me (saying me liar conman) have all in text messages today. I am shocked at his behavior being a cardiac patient recent heart attack and surgery... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: My Attorney has reached an agreement to settle my lawsuit, but with conditions I didn’t agree to.

It’s a discrimination lawsuit

William J. Amann
William J. Amann
answered on Dec 11, 2022

Inform your attorney of this in writing and speak with your lawyer about what sounds like a serious misunderstanding.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: My Dcf worker said that in order to close my Dcf case, they have to verify with my Children’s doctors and school.

Every visit he has tried to get me to sign a release of information. Today he asked for verbal consent. Every single time I said no. I want to keep Dcf separate with all entities and don’t want my Children’s doctors or school to know about their Dcf case. Is this true? They have to speak with... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Apr 15, 2022

Schools and doctors have mandated reporter requirements if abuse or neglect is suspected. The DCF is the agency to whom they would report concerns . The DCF would investigate whether there is a supported claim and take action accordingly. Lack of cooperation usually does not reflect well.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Civil Rights and Probate for Massachusetts on
Q: What do I do if I’m paying child support and being denied visitation rights to my daughter
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Sep 3, 2021

If you have a visitation order or a Judgment that states the terms of visitation and are being denied visitation , then there appear to be grounds for a Contempt action unless there is something happening which is inimical to the child's best interests in which case the custodial parent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Massachusetts on
Q: What can I do? My bad neighbor dumped junks (big old larger snow plow and more) to my property 4 days ago.

It is impossible to sell my house with all the heavy junks they dumped into my property. I need to sell my house.

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Feb 17, 2021

Also sounds like a real estate trespass case.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: I'm looking for legal help for my divorce.

I have a complicated situation with a seven year old, don't have job, and my husband doesn't want the divorce we have been separated for 4 years. I was hoping you could help me and point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,


Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Oct 6, 2020

So, depending upon your financial circumstances the Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association may be able to assist you. If your husband has income and assets which are sufficient, the Probate Court can order him to pay toward your counsel fees.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Do I need to attend the meeting before the pretrial conference? MA probate.

Custody battle. I am filing on terms of parental alienation, emotional and physiological abuse. There's a pre trial conference but the other parties lawyer emailed me stating the court requires a meeting beforehand. I don't feel comfortable speaking in this meeting with just myself and... Read more »

Brian Waller
Brian Waller
answered on Aug 10, 2020

The pretrial order you received from the court should explain exactly what you need to do and when. Some judges require the parties to meet at least a week or two before the hearing. If you decline to meet the other party's attorney will likely bring that to the court's attention. This... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury and Small Claims for Massachusetts on
Q: Does using a person’s deadname in a school yearbook constitute any legal action?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 2, 2020

A Massachusetts attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. In terms of practicality, it would be a case that presents challenges. In terms of textbook law, it could depend on the mental state with which it was done, on one end being innocent oversight to the other end... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: My husband fly back to US for treatment and he passed away on may 2,.2020. I cannot fly there because of this pandemic

So the daughter from he's first marriage was there and arrange for the funeral. And I was shocked for what I read about my Husband Obituary. Listed thier mother as he's wife and longlife love to there father! even they knew that thier father married to me and I have all the evidence our... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on May 24, 2020

I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband. You ask what to do. As a first step, you should consider contacting an attorney who works with wills and estates. Toward the end of your detailed post, one of the last items you mention is a will and your concerns about its disposition. As for any... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Massachusetts on
Q: in MA an offer was placed on my property on 8/9/19 we are now well passed the 45 days agreed upon for closing.

Closing was set for tomorrow 10/16/19. i have done repairs and updates to the lawful expectations of the original inspection in a timely manner by my agents father who i paid for his services. My real estate agent has not been forthcoming about many items through this process. A week ago the buyers... Read more »

Christopher Tolley
Christopher Tolley
answered on Oct 15, 2019

I strongly suggest you contact a lawyer to represent your interests as soon as possible. The agent/broker is supposed to be working for you, the seller, and no one else. Most P&S agreements state the buyer is prohibited from entering the premises and/or doing work n the premises with the... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Hello So,I got assaulted, and got into a fight at my job with a coworker. I filled a police report.
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jul 30, 2019

Thank you for sharing. You have not asked any question.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for Massachusetts on
Q: Who can contact me and help me with a complicated legal concern with a federal job?

I was hired after informing my job about my year long pending court trail and after working for 86 days they verbally put me on a unpaid suspension. When I asked for more information and asked for my suspension to be put in writing they stop responding to me, yet I am still working but not able to... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 10, 2019

An attorney can't contact you; that isn't the way it works. This is only a question and answer board. You could contact an attorney using the Find a Lawyer section, or you could conduct your own independent searches. You can add Employment Law to your categories, and hopefully your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Difference between false arrest and false imprisonment?


I filled a lawsuit because I was detained by security guards after I was accused of sleeping on a couch and therefore 'trespassing' and 'stealing' there was no evidence to support this and the company never proved their claims nor was I charged by police.... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jan 31, 2019

It is amazing what you can find on the internet by googling

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Auto Dealer Bankrupt | Did not deliver the car not giving the money back

Hello All,

My Sister who is doing her masters here in USA, She applied for a car loan and received a bank cheque. We ha

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
answered on Jan 7, 2019

What is the question?

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can my employer mandate that I sign a release of all claims because I filed a charge of discrimination with the EEOC?

I do not agree with a single part of the settlement agreement and I do not want to lose my rights to sue. Can my employer terminate me if I refuse to accept and sign the release of claims.

John Espinosa
John Espinosa
answered on Mar 24, 2018

Is your employer asking you to do this as part of a settlement of your claim? If so, then it is up to you whether or not the settlement is worth signing the release and withdrawing your claim.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: Can I sue?

I work for Amtel and they told me because I called out twice because the first time I went to the clinic do to high blood pressure and I’m diabetic so my sugar was really low the second time was because I got sick with strep and fever and because of my fever I had a really high blood pressure... Read more »

Jonathan R. Roth
Jonathan R. Roth
answered on Jan 30, 2018

Contact an attorney who specializes in suits under the American's with Disabilities Act. You can call the Boston Bar Association or the Massachusetts Bar Association for a free referral. It would seem that the Company has terminated you for an invalid reason. One issue is however if you were... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander, Employment Law, Civil Rights and Education Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I am a teacher who has recently been placed on administrative leave due to an undisclosed allegation made by a student.

I would like to consult with a private attorney (outside of the union) regarding next steps.

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Civil Rights for Massachusetts on
Q: I’m getting a divorce. Is my partner responsible for half of my students loans I just acquired 3 months ago?

I just finished my associates degree and I would like to know if my partner should pay for half of my loans.

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Jan 24, 2018

The factors on property division are also applicable to debt division. Without knowing the circumstances and the duration of the marriage it is not possible to respond other than that if divorce was already contemplated when the educational program was commenced, that it may be unrealistic to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.