Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Massachusetts Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: If I accept a lump sum payoff on my LT disability claim will it affect my ssdi benefit when I reach retirement age?

I receive part of my disability benefit from ssdi and part from Lincoln Financial (disability insurance through my employer). Will my total benefit stay the same when I reach retirement age?

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on Apr 5, 2021

The amount of your Social Security benefit is not affected by your LTD payment. This assumes you are receiving regular Title II (SSDI) benefits from Social Security. The amount of your LTD payment may be reduced due to the receipt of your Social Security. That depends on the terms of your LTD... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: Can social security see that I cash a settlement check if I have no bank account of my own and just cash at issuing bank

got in a serious car accident cannot walk anymore and got a very small settlement...recieved check at same time got approved for disability and don't wanna lose it all ready check is all ready gone and spent

Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore answered on Mar 11, 2021

It's not worth the trouble that can come if you get caught. Sometimes the info gets to SSA in unexpected ways. When they find out, they can demand repayment of several years of benefits. If your benefits are need based, then you can spend the funds on specific things approved by SSA like some... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: can i deposit my social security check into my uncles bank accout
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer answered on May 26, 2020

It would be best for you to have your Social Security benefits directly deposited into your own bank account. If you do not currently have a bank account, you can set an account up with a bank you choose and then sign up for direct deposit with Social Security.

Another option is to have...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: I need to hire a qualified attorned to represent me asescribed below.

currently I owe more than $3000 in cash and check, and I need to hire a qualified attorned to represent me.

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Apr 27, 2020

Check with the Bar Association in Boston for lawyer's referral for someone near you who can assist.

This place is not used to engage or instruct lawyers.

Good Luck


1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: Is my wife eligible for Social Security Disability?

My wife, 57, is legally blind. Her vision has steadily gone downhill for 15-20 years and hasn't driven since 2005. She hasn't worked since 1995 after our second daughter was born.

L. David Ferrari
L. David Ferrari answered on Oct 3, 2019

Maybe, but unlikely. If she is qualified for disability for medical reasons, because she has not paid into Title 2 AKA SSDI since 1995, she would not qualify financially. The other benefit available IF she medically qualifies, is Supplemental Security Income AKA Title 16 or SSI.

SSI is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law, Health Care Law and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: How will equity from sale of a house affect govt asst. programs like ssdi, medicare, masshealth, food stamps, housing?

Yes I am disabled, on hemodialysis, and get palliative care services. My house will be closing on Wednesday. I will be getting about $150,000 (that's the gain). What federal/state assistance programs will be affected by this gain of money? Is there any legal way around it or to avoid losing... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa answered on May 21, 2019

You have not stated whether you are disabled . If so, there is a special needs trust you can explore.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Tax Law for Massachusetts on
Q: If on disability can the IRS and state DOR continue to accrue penalties and interest from the agreement I went into?

I became disabled in 2014. During which time I was already in a payment plan with both the IRS and Massachusetts DOR. I have since paid both in full. Can they continue to accrue both penalties and interest and make me pay those once my only income was ssdi?

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Sep 7, 2018

Once you have paid your liability in full no more interest or penalties should accrue. If you still owe taxes and can no longer afford to pay your installment agreements due to your only source of income being SSDI, you may need the assistance of an attorney to help you set up a collection... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: How to amend name on Puerto Rico birth certificate?

My husband, born in Puerto Rico but raised in Massachusetts, cannot renew his driver's license because his name on the birth certificate is different than the one he has been using. When he was born, his father gave him his maternal grandmother's last name but did not include his own... Read more »

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa answered on Aug 28, 2018

It sounds like he needs to bring a Name Change Petition in the Probate Court having jurisdiction over where he lives and either hire counsel or follow the instructions on the form.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: I'm looking for a pro bono federal prosecutor in Boston, MA.

This is a large case involving a family member stealing my inherited social security funds as a result of my father's death. ID theft & personal property by stolen friends, family state l’ve been disabled since 9. I am now 41. I’ve been Misdiagnosed since 9 mounts ago! Now friends... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jun 15, 2018

Pro bono prosecutor?? you cannpt hire a prosecutor. Prosecutors work for the government.

Call the Department of HHS. They have investigators

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: I'm looking to appeal an SSI app. so i'm looking for a pro bono(free) lawyer to help me but i don't know how to find one
Steven A. Schwartz
Steven A. Schwartz answered on Oct 16, 2017

I assume you are looking for a pro bono lawyer because of your ability to pay an attorney out of your pocket at this time. The good news is that social security disability attorneys typically work on a contingency fee basis, which means they only get paid IF they win you benefits...and the pay... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: I am 19 years old and I am currently going to school in Massachusetts, and I used to live in New York.

When I started school my mother disowned me and is holding my birth certificate, social security card, and my passport hostage and won't give them to me. is there anything i can do to get them back

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jun 29, 2017

If she doesn't give them to you, you can file for new ones. It is a federal crime to withhold such documents of yours. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: Are social security payments exempt from creditors if I owe money?
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Jan 18, 2017

Have you declared bankruptcy? Is there an asset attachment order? How would creditors be accessing your funds? Or are they just asking you for money? Typically social security funds are not ordered to be paid to creditors in court bankruptcy proceedings. The best first step is an Initial... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: Does Social Security need to give written notice to a beneficiary if they are going to assign a Representative Payee?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 5, 2016

Yes.Unless the beneficiary themselves requested it.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: Can I withdraw from 401k while on SSDI? Or will it affect my monthly benefits?

Please explain how this works

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on Jun 19, 2015

Seek for advice from an experienced social security attorney or locate answers from the Social Security Administration. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.