Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Public Benefits Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Health Care Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: What law sections and codes do I look for when I am have lung agenesis ICD 10 code Q33.3 which is nationally covered ssa

Im 36 born with lung agenesis aka only one lung, I have severe mental health issues, I have the required amount of work credits and my ICD 10 code Q33.3 is nationally covered under the Americans with disabilities act but the ssa says that my condition is not as severe as I think it is. The... Read more »

Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn answered on May 8, 2022

You can read the regulations related to Social Security regulations to see how Social Security considers claims for disability benefits. SSA is making a decision as to whether your medical issues are so severe that they prevent you from doing all work that exists in the national economy. The ICD 10... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Domestic Violence, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: If I didn't know I had a no contact order because my husband has baby momma named Sheila and she did tiime b4 we got ma

Married for domestic violence. I got arrested for domestic violence in2018 .get out on bond and Covid hits.i get a warrant for not reporting to bail bonds.they drop aggregate assault and got me on a continuous family violence. My mom bond's me out.well my mom died Sept 22. I haven't... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Feb 1, 2022

What to do depends on which jurisdiction the case was filed in. You should hire a criminal defense attorney who takes cases in the county where your case is pending and you should follow that attorney's advice about how to clear the warrant and defend the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: I used trial size Biotin shampoo and conditioner on vacation and my scalp is itchy and burning since, is this a symptom?

Bought travel size biotin shampoo and conditioner for my vacation in California June 18-28th and used over there. My scalp has been itching and burning ever since although I have not used since I returned and am now using my regular shampoo and conditioner I continue to have itchy burning scalp.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 16, 2021

You would need to talk to a dermatologist, not an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: What type of identification should I take with me in order to move out at 18?

I trying to move out of my parents house, but I don’t know what identification/documents should I take with me.

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Feb 20, 2021

I suggest you take all of your property and especially all of your identification. You probably have a drivers license, birth certificate and social security card, but take it all and whatever else you have. It's also a good idea to start a list of these kinds of documents, as well as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Could you clarify how/why the minority of the Court favours an economic model of state paternalism / social democracy?

This is regarding the Supreme court case, Lochner v. New York, 198 U.S. 45 (1905)

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 9, 2020

There's considerable discussion and material on this case online. It could take some effort to narrow the issues down to the specific manner outlined in the description above. One starting point could be the U.S. Supreme Court's blog -... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: How do I get percentage commission without getting a realtor for the sale of a friend's home that I sold .

I did a friend a favor and I got a buyer for her home on a mortgage short sale.

Mortgage company guidelines state she needs a realtor to sell her home.

I am not a realtor or licensed .

Yet how do I go about it to get that 6% commission from mortgage company?

What... Read more »

Gregory Byrnes
Gregory Byrnes answered on Apr 29, 2020

I don't practice Texas law, however, you probably can't get a commission legally because you need to be licensed either as a real estate agent or broker. You could look into whether it is permissible to receive a finders fee in Texas:

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: Is there any issue with permanent residents accepting government aid?

If a permanent resident accept FAFSA gift aid, is there any possibility the government will inquire it back? For example if the government gifted me $4000 could they charge it back?

Robert Roy Klein
Robert Roy Klein answered on Apr 21, 2020

Permanent residents may receive FAFSA. There might be other reasons that they might want you to pay it back, like for fraud. As for you being a permanent resident, it won't have any effect on citizenship.

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Section 8 voucher

I believe my housing voucher was wrongfully terminated when looking for a lawyer would that be considered landlord tenant

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Dec 19, 2019

Yes and there are specific real estate/landlord/tenant lawyers that practice in the area of housing assistance so you'll need to narrow your search some.

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law, Consumer Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Should I get a lawyer to help me get me out if a disability program

I'm Tiffany I'm living in midland tx I'm in a disability program that i really want out of and I feel like I'm be here forever I just really want out of this programr should I get a lawyer to help me get out and what kind would I need

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 25, 2019

A Texas attorney could answer your question best, but it remains open for a week. It's difficult to determine how difficult it would be to get out of the program without knowing about its terms and what conditions or laws govern leaving the program. One option to learn more could be to conduct... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Im looking a kick the door open lawyer!

I have two polices with aig AD&D my company keeps telling me for a month now there reviewing my case. I lost my shoulder, arm, & hand due to part injury and part cancer. I have paid in full to aig and now i should collect. Please let me know what you think.

Ronald Dean Gresham
Ronald Dean Gresham answered on Sep 4, 2019

HI. I will need more information from you to answer your question. How did you lose shoulder, arm, and hand due in part to an injury? What injury? You can always email me directly at or call me at 972-387-4040 and ask for Dean Gresham.

Thank you.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: can the Social Security Administration count my undocumented aliens spouse's income against me and stop my SSI benefits

My husband does not have a SSN and is not authorized to work in the US. We are in the process of applying for his green card but still not been approved. I receive SSI & Medicaid. I reported my marriage to my husband immediately after getting married but the rep told me that since he... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Aug 6, 2019

This seems a bit more complicated. More information is needed. Do you have a joint sponsor? Your husband should qualify for work authorization if he is eligible to adjust status. If not, due to complications with filing, it seems like you need an attorney, soon!

If "the rep"...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Can I sensor tax returns they are requesting?

Im currently under investigation by the OIG for HHSC for medicaid and food stamp fraud. I haven't been charged yet. But they are wanting me to submit copies of the kids dads tax returns for the past 8 years. He is currently under an IRS audit after the tax preparer made a mistake on his... Read more »

Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren answered on Jul 13, 2019

Remember, if the fish kept it's mouth shut it would not have got caught.

Because OIG is attempting to prosecute you, hire a lawyer to represent you. I would not trust them because if they just need to confirm his address they d/n need 8 years. Also going back that far in time could...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Are there protection laws for back pay or funds received from SSDI that a person took and invested ?

An individual received SSDI,(not SSI) along with back pay, after a long struggle with the Social Security Adm., in mid-spring of '18. Upon receiving the back pay, this person, who doesn't have a 401k, nest egg, family support...etc., decided to invest a percentage of the money into... Read more »

Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren answered on Apr 16, 2019

THANK you for an excellent question. I believe you and I would get along great. The situation of which you speak is one of the more ridiculous scenarios of SSI in my opinion. However I am sure it makes sense to those that wrote the law. SSI benefits are based on need so if the person that receives... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Gov & Administrative Law, Municipal Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Can a city reimburse council members for purchase of concert tickets?
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Nov 14, 2018

It depends on the totality of the circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Probate, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: How do I amend my child's birth certificate to add her deceased father to it ?

My daughter's father passed before she was born. My son receives the social security survivors benefits. Social security told me to get a legal sibling DNA test and to send them the sealed document. They rejected her application because I did not amend her birth certificate. I was told to... Read more »

Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr. answered on Oct 8, 2018

You can review the information provided at the Texas Department of State Health Services, VItal Statistics division to review the process. Here is the link:

Since you will need a court order, it would be best if you contact a...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Is vigilantism federally illegal or is it up to each state as to whether or not it is legal within the state?
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on May 31, 2018

What, like Batman?

You're going to need to be a tad more specific ... at least specific enough to determine whether the question involves a matter of state law, federal law, or both.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Got denied SIBs for first QTR cause my lawyer said I didnt need to keep search log due to state dr report on my injury

Just turned in second QTR SIB app with work search log. If their ins fights back, does my attorney only get 25% if he wins?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 23, 2016

Their insurance may fight back regardless of what you do. Read your fee agreement. If it is a contingent fee, the "contingent" is the lawyer succeeding.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: I have had long term disability benefits offset by veterans disability benefits unjustly

Received LTD benefits from Liberty Mutual Ins. for 2 years. During that time, I started receiving VA disability benefits. LTD benefits were "offset" by Liberty Mutual to the tune of $62,400. The issue is the vague language used to justify the offset which did not specifically mention... Read more »

Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren answered on Sep 30, 2016

Wow, it looks as though you have done your homework! This is one of those areas where I like to shout from the rooftops. My opinion; carriers should not be allowed to sell LTD because when a person qualifies for LTD the carrier has a provision in its policy allowing its' self to take a credit... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.